Any word or any prep work being done for new DVC cabins?

Kind of an inconvenient place for any sort of 'DVC only' building since it's not near the cabin loops. And since it doesn't seem to include parking I'd say it's not a dedicated check in facility. No one's going to want to schlep all their bags from Outpost to Meadows on the bus then schlep them to a cabin.

Personally, I'd love to see a sit down. But I'd rather see it in the settlement area since it's sort of 'built up' already (trading post, Pioneer Hall, Trail's End etc). But I expect Disney is thinking more along the lines of it being 'centrally located' if it's near Meadows.

Last edited:
Kind of an inconvenient place for any sort of 'DVC only' building since it's not near the cabin loops. And since it doesn't seem to include parking I'd say it's not a dedicated check in facility. No one's going to want to schlep all their bags from Outpost to Meadows on the bus then schlep them to the cabin
Didn't think of this until you commented, but luggage isn't allowed on Disney transportation (busses). You'd need your own car or transportation to the cabins. Maybe. I'm going back years now, but I remember bell services taking you and your luggage directly to your building in a big golf cart. In our case it was Port Orleans. After you're unloaded you could probably use the bus to pick up your golf cart-if you rented one. DVC or no, I don't see Disney giving up their $67 a day golf cart rental. Too much of a cash cow to give it away for free.

Just adding this but if I wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting that Disney wouldn't upgrade or add amenities at a later time (ok, maybe I was a little). I just thought it strange that they wouldn't do SOMETHING up front as a selling point. We all know Disney is big on promises. Follow through, not so much.

Just adding this but if I wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting that Disney wouldn't upgrade or add amenities at a later time (ok, maybe I was a little). I just thought it strange that they wouldn't do SOMETHING up front as a selling point. We all know Disney is big on promises. Follow through, not so much.

Maybe they're hoping to reel prospective buyers in using the Cogsworth Method; "Flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep".

Hopefully at some point someone on here will sit through the sales presentation and report back on any verbal 'future plans' because Disney sure isn't going to put those in writing. They want plausible deniability that can be brushed aside with "WE didn't say that, the sales rep was wrong to say that. We will certainly see that he/she receives training etc etc". As far as I'm concerned buying based on 'future plans' = buying a 'pig in a poke'.

It just feels funny to me that they shut down a sit-down/ADR restaurant in Trails End (that had developed a pretty decent take out offering at P&J's adjacent) only to convert it to grab-and-go with no service.

Then they want to build a sit-down restaurant with service over by the pool? And they might have sit-down service in a new resort behind Trails End in the future? I would bet 51% that it's the Backyard BBQ new location rather than a restaurant (49%). The central location around Meadows has ample golf cart parking, internal bus service both sides, but with all the people would need more "infrastructure".

Couple a new B-BBQ with HDDR and all the rest the Fort has to offer (campfire, movies, bikes, food, entertainment, activities, fishing/boating, etc.) and you could easily market the CFW as a perfect place for families. FW could become your family vacation destination where you add a day or two for a theme park :rotfl:.

That might sell CFW better. And the cabins will get booked up more/less by DVC folks who own elsewhere waiting for the 7-month window to book there so they can stay at FW without paying the CFW dues.

Bama Ed

PS - and while the old B-BBQ was open air it was not located near campers/sleepers so its replacement might be an enclosed building to limit noise and also provide a controlled temperature environment. Never been to the Fort in August but I bet those summer B-BBQ's at the old location could get hot and humid still in the evenings.

Last edited:

We checked into the Fort this morning. We requested the 100 loop when the reservation was made. We were assigned the 300 loop. I asked if 100 opens during our 24 night stay could we switch over. He said to be honest it will be months, possibly 3 until it reopens. I told him that was a long time to complete 2 cabins!

24 nights?? You lucky pup, you.

I guess we were lucky we went when we did (last month) as we were in 100 (fav loop).

3 months is crazy considering these are pre-fab. But maybe it's like when you see a subdivision go up....first the foundation pourers do their bit for the whole subdivision, then the framers frame all the houses, then the roofers, ad infinitum. If they have to wait for the rest of the loops to reach get to the same stage at the same time, no wonder it's going to take 18 months overall.

They appeared to be putting the roofs on the 2 cabins on the 100-loop today. But they are definitely moving slowly. Tons of effort happening at 2300 and 2500 but none of them appear to be further along than the 100 loop cabins.

It really is fun watching this happen. I’m not going to buy in but I will be paying cash for stays in them so I’m very excited.

I'd rather see it in the settlement area since it's sort of 'built up' already (trading post, Pioneer Hall, Trail's End etc).
I would prefer it to be near the Settlement too, but they confiscated most of the extra space for R*********s and then made a mess of it.
I would bet 51% that it's the Backyard BBQ new location rather than a restaurant (49%). The central location around Meadows has ample golf cart parking, internal bus service both sides, but with all the people would need more "infrastructure".
Never been to the Fort in August but I bet those summer B-BBQ's at the old location could get hot and humid still in the evenings.
I'm giving it 50/50. I think it is 90+% it will be an "eatery" given the size, location and lift station. No reason for that much sewer infrastructure unless it is expected to generate a lot of liquid waste (kitchen, restrooms, 5500 sq ft of roof runoff).

The old TE was probably not a huge revenue generator by Disney standards (buffets are expensive) and I wonder if they downgraded it to a Grab-n-Go to separate it from a "real" DVC restaurant. The lowly campers get the down graded foodery and LOOK AT THE NICE NEW RESTAURANT WE BUILT FOR CFW!

I didn't realize the 100 loop was closed right now. I thought someone on another site just posted pics from there last week.

j

Here to throw in my two cents.

First, I took a one day visit to the Fort last Saturday to see what was up and eat some food. Trails End no longer (again) can give you white meat chicken on the 2pc meal... I remember that was the policy when it was being remodeled but I swear when it reopened I was able to get white meat with a small upcharge. As for cabin construction, the two in the 100 loop had no activity. The 2500 loop was the most active, all old cabins have been removed and multiple new ones are being constructed. Not sure about phases but multiple had windows in, some just a few walls, and some just a foundation. No decks yet. The 2300 loop has not started yet however it is closed and the cabins are marked with a bunch of numbers. Also you can't go beyond loop 2000 anymore. Creekside meadow and the pond back there (also my favorite area to look for deer) are all closed for now. The road is blocked off.

Side note, I saw a cabin being hauled down I-4 on the way there. It was headed west.

Loop 2500 was declared into the DVC trust for CFW recently so that will be the next loop to be converted after 2300.
I don't think the declarations mean much, loop 2500 is well on the way to open first (if not at the same time as 2300)

Interesting from an academic standpoint since these aren't for us but I'm throwing this out to our deep thinkers and speculators.
So at this point, really the only thing these new DVC buildings offer is a new dwelling to stay in, probably at an increased cost. What other amenities does this offer DVC buyers? I mean at this point, no table service restaurant(s). I don't know if the travesty that is now Trail's End can be considered quick service. How about an upgraded pool? The pool at the cabins now, while our go to at Ft. Wilderness, can hardly be considered a DVC worthy upgrade. Not being DVC people I'm not sure what should be considered as far as upgrades and additions that would be required to sell these new tiny homes.
Knowing how Disney is famous for putting grand plans out there with no follow through, are the new buildings putting the cart before the horse?
I don't remember if this was promised by Disney or just speculated, but they were supposed to build a table service and a new pool.

Now for my rant and discussion. I am 100% certain the meadows construction will be a restaurant of some sort. I thought it would be the new table service but after reading through here, a backyard bbq replacement really does sound possible. It boggles my mind how FWs food options have spiraled out of control over the past 5 years. Got rid of a buffet that had a wide variety and a quick service in favor of a grab and go with a limited menu. Got rid of one of the most popular dinner shows, and left us with Hoop-dee-doo (the one good thing still there) a bar with little food options and a pool bar with little food options. I know it's camping and people like to cook at their campsite but some days you just wanna eat something else. The Trails End we all know and love closed down with the pandemic and reopened as a family style for sanitary issues. Okay. Then it shuts down due to "food waste". What?? The other "family style skillet" restaurants around property are fine? Or better yet, make it a buffet so people can choose what food they want and how much they want. What a neat idea!

I'm not going to go on a huge rant over the redacted resort (why can't we say the name? Lol) however I will say this. They tore out all of River Country to build this. Being an abandoned piece of nothing I understand that but why build there? Why not closer to Wilderness Lodge where there is nothing but woods? Why was the original plan to build waterfront cabins directly next to the marina and pioneer hall? So much space to use yet they encroach on an existing resort? When RC was still there, it was overgrown with trees and that's all you saw when looking in that direction. Trees. Now you see a wide open area of abandoned construction equipment and dirt. Nothing about that makes me feel like I'm in the wilderness. Just plant trees there at this point and abandon the site and the idea. Going to the settlement feels like walking through an industrial zone. Walking to the horse barn, it felt like I wasn't supposed to be back there. A chain link fence with an image of greenery on it that is too small to actually cover the fence, all kinds of random temporary barriers surrounding the bus stop, having to walk through the bus stop to get to the barn and the giant new parking lot that's next to it?? It all feels very odd, very unwilderness and very undisney.

That resort is cancelled. Can they bring it back? Absolutely, but for right now they're not. The permits that were renewed are for the staging area south of it, that's being used to support cabin construction instead.

Back to Fort Wilderness. I don't like the look of the new cabins. Not going to get into that but I think a lot of people agree. However I am excited to see them completed in person, maybe they won't be that bad. The meadow thing is both a hit and miss with me. I've always liked that big open grassy area, I know a lot of people would play catch and other things there. Losing a playground doesn't seem like a good idea to me unless they plan to build another somewhere close by. Similar deal with the volleyball court. I don't recall there being another one? Maybe they will move it to the beach. The tennis courts are staying. According to the permit, it looks like an access road is being made? (red line) Maybe it will include more golf cart parking. What I don't like is the retention pond. That's what's killing the open field that's there now.
Capture5865865876786.PNG
I think it is a good centrally located spot for a restaurant. What matters most to me is what will it look like? Will it blend in and match the other buildings around the Fort? Or will it have a tasteless modern look? Only time will tell.

Also, as wild as it sounds I think there is a real possibility that they could re-do Trails End, AGAIN, into some sort of Table Service and make this the new quick service.

Last edited:
Also wanted to say that it's becoming more and more apparent that Disney might be making this into a completely new type of DVC. Not with the usual services and amenities you find at DVC resorts, and that may be a good thing.

They are putting walls on two cabins today at the end of loop 2500! I suspect when I get back from the MK, they’ll be assembled. I watched them truck in the walls. I wish I had another week here to keep watching 🤣🤣 Leaving Saturday early.
Wouldn't it be fun to gather a bunch of Dis-Campers and go over to where the action is and start laying down blankets and 'saving' spots a la Main St before the parades & fireworks? Then show up at 3.30 (Geddit?) just sit there and watch them work.

Here to throw in my two cents.

First, I took a one day visit to the Fort last Saturday to see what was up and eat some food. Trails End no longer (again) can give you white meat chicken on the 2pc meal... I remember that was the policy when it was being remodeled but I swear when it reopened I was able to get white meat with a small upcharge. As for cabin construction, the two in the 100 loop had no activity. The 2500 loop was the most active, all old cabins have been removed and multiple new ones are being constructed. Not sure about phases but multiple had windows in, some just a few walls, and some just a foundation. No decks yet. The 2300 loop has not started yet however it is closed and the cabins are marked with a bunch of numbers. Also you can't go beyond loop 2000 anymore. Creekside meadow and the pond back there (also my favorite area to look for deer) are all closed for now. The road is blocked off.

Side note, I saw a cabin being hauled down I-4 on the way there. It was headed west.

I don't think the declarations mean much, loop 2500 is well on the way to open first (if not at the same time as 2300)

I don't remember if this was promised by Disney or just speculated, but they were supposed to build a table service and a new pool.

Now for my rant and discussion. I am 100% certain the meadows construction will be a restaurant of some sort. I thought it would be the new table service but after reading through here, a backyard bbq replacement really does sound possible. It boggles my mind how FWs food options have spiraled out of control over the past 5 years. Got rid of a buffet that had a wide variety and a quick service in favor of a grab and go with a limited menu. Got rid of one of the most popular dinner shows, and left us with Hoop-dee-doo (the one good thing still there) a bar with little food options and a pool bar with little food options. I know it's camping and people like to cook at their campsite but some days you just wanna eat something else. The Trails End we all know and love closed down with the pandemic and reopened as a family style for sanitary issues. Okay. Then it shuts down due to "food waste". What?? The other "family style skillet" restaurants around property are fine? Or better yet, make it a buffet so people can choose what food they want and how much they want. What a neat idea!

I'm not going to go on a huge rant over the redacted resort (why can't we say the name? Lol) however I will say this. They tore out all of River Country to build this. Being an abandoned piece of nothing I understand that but why build there? Why not closer to Wilderness Lodge where there is nothing but woods? Why was the original plan to build waterfront cabins directly next to the marina and pioneer hall? So much space to use yet they encroach on an existing resort? When RC was still there, it was overgrown with trees and that's all you saw when looking in that direction. Trees. Now you see a wide open area of abandoned construction equipment and dirt. Nothing about that makes me feel like I'm in the wilderness. Just plant trees there at this point and abandon the site and the idea. Going to the settlement feels like walking through an industrial zone. Walking to the horse barn, it felt like I wasn't supposed to be back there. A chain link fence with an image of greenery on it that is too small to actually cover the fence, all kinds of random temporary barriers surrounding the bus stop, having to walk through the bus stop to get to the barn and the giant new parking lot that's next to it?? It all feels very odd, very unwilderness and very undisney.

That resort is cancelled. Can they bring it back? Absolutely, but for right now they're not. The permits that were renewed are for the staging area south of it, that's being used to support cabin construction instead.

Back to Fort Wilderness. I don't like the look of the new cabins. Not going to get into that but I think a lot of people agree. However I am excited to see them completed in person, maybe they won't be that bad. The meadow thing is both a hit and miss with me. I've always liked that big open grassy area, I know a lot of people would play catch and other things there. Losing a playground doesn't seem like a good idea to me unless they plan to build another somewhere close by. Similar deal with the volleyball court. I don't recall there being another one? Maybe they will move it to the beach. The tennis courts are staying. According to the permit, it looks like an access road is being made? (red line) Maybe it will include more golf cart parking. What I don't like is the retention pond. That's what's killing the open field that's there now.
View attachment 852608
I think it is a good centrally located spot for a restaurant. What matters most to me is what will it look like? Will it blend in and match the other buildings around the Fort? Or will it have a tasteless modern look? Only time will tell.

Also, as wild as it sounds I think there is a real possibility that they could re-do Trails End, AGAIN, into some sort of Table Service and make this the new quick service.
I agree with all of this except that this is a good spot for a restaurant. This area is the heart of what camping is, where kids from all over the US play pickup games of football, throw a frisbee, and experience sand volleyball. That Disney lends you sporting equipment for FREE is one of those special unbelievable perks of Fort Wilderness. Now, they will put a restaurant surrounded by hardscape and eliminating most of the open space and further deteriorate the open, natural feeling of the Fort.

I do land planning for a living and I can't imagine that the folks doing site design for the Fort have ever stepped foot on the property nor do they understand context.

I agree with all of this except that this is a good spot for a restaurant. This area is the heart of what camping is, where kids from all over the US play pickup games of football, throw a frisbee, and experience sand volleyball. That Disney lends you sporting equipment for FREE is one of those special unbelievable perks of Fort Wilderness. Now, they will put a restaurant surrounded by hardscape and eliminating most of the open space and further deteriorate the open, natural feeling of the Fort.

I do land planning for a living and I can't imagine that the folks doing site design for the Fort have ever stepped foot on the property nor do they understand context.
You are so right about this being the heart of camping. It's like passing by kids playing with toy construction trucks in the tetherball pit in the 1500 loop, or when my kiddos play hopscotch in front of the Meadows trading post, and I'm just reminded of the peaceful, low-key character of the Fort. I was excited for the DVC option, hoping it would be a cheaper way to stay when my parents wanted to come with us and we didn't want to bring an RV down from the Midwest, but it just feels like they are paving over paradise :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter