• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Washington State Disers? Where to live... REASONABLY??

toledo13

A dream is a wish your heart makes.
Hi all. There's a possibility we may be moving to the Redmond, WA area. Are there any nearby suburbs that might be... less expensive to live :scared1: . I was looking at home prices... HOLY COW!!! Is EVERYTHING that expensive in Washington?! :eek:

Everything is that expensive in *Redmond*, yes.

Come to the Tacoma area and it becomes more palatable. Especially if those working in the family are doing so in the Seattle area.

Hello! I was born and raised in Toledo!

We live in Richland, WA. It is in southeastern Washington, in an area called the Tri-Cities. It is great here, good inexpensive housing, great schools, and job opportunities. There is plenty to do here, if you like the outdoors. Boating, fishing, hiking...loads of parks and historic sites.

We have a desert climate, so we have seasons, but not harsh weather. Tri-Cities has a small town feel, yet all the modern conveniences.

We used to live in Covington. I think south King County is cheaper than the east side.

I am assuming that you're looking at Redmond because you're working at Microsoft? It is a pricey area. It costs more to live in some places on the eastside of Lake Washington than it does in downtown Seattle.

If you want to stay close to Redmond, I suggest Carnation. It's less, without being incredibly far.

Commuting in the Seattle area is not easy. Even if you live 20 miles from the city, you're still going to have a hell of a commute. I used to work at a hospital across the street from the Microsoft campus and I lived 16 miles away. It took an hour to get there and longer to get home.

We live in Richland, WA. It is in southeastern Washington, in an area called the Tri-Cities. It is great here, good inexpensive housing, great schools, and job opportunities. There is plenty to do here, if you like the outdoors. Boating, fishing, hiking...loads of parks and historic sites.

We have a desert climate, so we have seasons, but not harsh weather. Tri-Cities has a small town feel, yet all the modern conveniences.

My father lives in Pasco. Its been 10 years since i've been there. I do miss it

I live and work in Tacoma. Redmond is definetley pricey! I don't know a lot about that area, however, Renton, Kent, Auburn and Federal Way are all cheaper. I think Lynnwood is also better.

Carnation is way out there! We like going to the farm out there to pick fruit and my kids like the rides and such (sorry, I forgot the name of it right off hand.) It is a bit too country for me.

I would head out there and take a look around.

Will you or DH work in Redmond? If so, you have a lot more options than if you have to commute to Seattle.

I am jelous! I lived in Seattle for 4 years, visit often, and my Dad's family is all in that area. I would move back in a heartbeat.

Dawn

I am assuming that you're looking at Redmond because you're working at Microsoft? It is a pricey area. It costs more to live in some places on the eastside of Lake Washington than it does in downtown Seattle.

If you want to stay close to Redmond, I suggest Carnation. It's less, without being incredibly far.

Commuting in the Seattle area is not easy. Even if you live 20 miles from the city, you're still going to have a hell of a commute. I used to work at a hospital across the street from the Microsoft campus and I lived 16 miles away. It took an hour to get there and longer to get home.

Thanks for the tips! There's a possibility of working in Redmond, that's why we're wanting to find a 'cheaper' suburb from that area...

Long story why we might be moving there from COLUMBUS OHIO... quite a different place!:confused:

Well, I think you have to tell us what you think is reasonable (size, price etc)and how far you are willing to commute. Median home price in King County is somewhere around $450K. And unfortunatly for someone moving into the area, our housing market is still pretty strong. We have more inventory than normal, but houses are still selling. The average time on the Market for Redmond is 60-90 days. In my neighborhood in Sammamish it's 30 days.

Well, I think you have to tell us what you think is reasonable (size, price etc)and how far you are willing to commute. Median home price in King County is somewhere around $450K. And unfortunatly for someone moving into the area, our housing market is still pretty strong. We have more inventory than normal, but houses are still selling. The average time on the Market for Redmond is 60-90 days. In my neighborhood in Sammamish it's 30 days.

WOW! Well, DH tells me we're not going to be able to afford a house probably and we should look for a condo- we're hoping to find something in the 200K-210K range, maybe a half hour from Redmond...

And that seems crazy to me because here in Columbus the average for our neighborhood is 3BR, 2 1/2 Bath for 160K.

totally hopeless? :eek:

:guilty: Are there any suburbs that are around Redmond that are not in the 400K condo price range?

WOW! Well, DH tells me we're not going to be able to afford a house probably and we should look for a condo- we're hoping to find something in the 200K-210K range, maybe a half hour from Redmond...

And that seems crazy to me because here in Columbus the average for our neighborhood is 3BR, 2 1/2 Bath for 160K.

totally hopeless? :eek:

You're going to have to find out the salary of the new position, and start getting your mind to think about prices based on THAT.

For instance, there's talk of a job in the silicon valley 'round our place, and when I think of rents based on our current salary I want to throw up. But if I think about it with their salary base, I'm better.

You just have to drop the comparisons.

:guilty: Are there any suburbs that are around Redmond that are not in the 400K condo price range?

I would say "no" of the top of my head, but I would also wonder what kind of condo you want. I've seen junky townhouse developments that "become" condos; apartments too. So if you're looking for that, you'd probably find something.

But if you want something cool looking, all glass and steel and artwork in the lobby, then you probably won't find those in the suburbs anyway, and probably not at that level.

We rent a condo in Tacoma. Water view (Commencement Bay, but also right in front of the Weyerhauser pulp mill and Port of Tacoma in the distance), up from the train tracks, on the edge of downtown (up and coming). Our landlady bought in '06 for just under 300K. 3 condos in the building, nowhere near as nicely redone as ours, just sold for 280K ish. Landlady is thinking of selling our place (boohoo) and is going to start with 430K and she's NUTS. No one is going to pay that for this place, even though it's beautiful inside.

Friend of mine has a hubby who works at M'soft, and they live in Puyallup. He *could* get free transit, but prefers to drive for some bizarre reason (it's his downtime, actually, 2 hours each way).

But living in the eastside, the transit options are awful!!! Hubby and I lived in Federal Way and he worked in Bellevue. To do transit, he had to get to the transit center by bus or car, take a bus to Seattle, then transfer (with minutes to spare) over to a bus to Bellevue. Sometimes there was another bus transfer! And he still had to walk half a mile.

Whereas, working in downtown Seattle and living in downtown Tacoma, it's easy breezy, shorter than if he drove it.

So if that's a possibility, you need to spend some time with the transit information and maps, to see if work and home are easy to get to.

Woot woot! My parents live in Richland, but I was raised until the end of 7th grade in Kennewick. I returned mid-11th grade and am a KeHS grad.

I really love it here. The people are so friendly and laid-back. My kids just love their new school.

We moved here from NC last May. We lived in NC for 17 years, so it was a very big move for us.

We visit Toledo at least once a year. I like to go during the holidays for Children's Wonderland and the Zoo. I was lucky to have found my husband in Charlotte, he was born and raised in Toledo! All of our relatives live there, so it makes family visits easy.

Small world! :goodvibes

Wow so you have not been there long. My parents have lived there probably about 25 years...about 15 in Kennewick and then about 10 in Richland. My parents like to go to the wineries and also to walk/bike on top of the levee up in North Richland. I don't really have any interest in living there now, but it was a great place to grow up. We would play in the streets until the sun went down. And the dust storms can make amazing sunsets. :rotfl:

I'm so jealous:goodvibes Take me with you! My sister lives in Poulsbo, across the Puget Sound. I love it there! In fact, DH & I love it so much that we plan to become bi-coastal in a couple years, spending summers in western Washington and winters in Georgia or Texas. If DH could tolerate the wet we'd live there the rest of our lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter