• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any updates on the Hub construction?

Any one have any updates on the hub construction?
The hub is pretty much the same as it was a month ago. They have gotten rid of the rose garden paths and the swan boat dock. They have large inflatable dams set up close to the bridge across the moat. That area will be filled in. They have walls up along that bridges and other areas around the hub to block the eye sores. It looks like they do most of the work during the night because you never see any workers there during the day.

Where is this located? New to me. Thanks.

The Hub in front of the castle at Magic Kingdom is being expanded to better handle large crowds. The Moat in front of Casey's Corner and the Plaza Inn will be filled in. A new walkway ring is also to be added. The two little booths in front of the castle are to be replaced with castle turrets. Work is set to go through 2015.

The Hub in front of the castle at Magic Kingdom is being expanded to better handle large crowds. The Moat in front of Casey's Corner and the Plaza Inn will be filled in. A new walkway ring is also to be added. The two little booths in front of the castle are to be replaced with castle turrets. Work is set to go through 2015.

Thanks!

Makes me sad to see these beautiful bits of nature concreted over. :worried:

Makes me sad to see these beautiful bits of nature concreted over. :worried:

They were man-made concrete lined waterways, not natural streams. They needed to find a way to better handle crowds. The hub was fine years ago when attendance was in the 12M-15M range and only very high during certain days/times, but attendance is creeping close to 20M now, and the park is very crowded more often than not.

I think eventually they're going to have to carve an alternate route than just down Main Street. Might have to "develop" some of the backstage area behind either the Emporium or the East Side shops down Main Street. Behind the East Side (Confectionary/Cinema/Starbucks/etc) straight into Tomorrowland might make more sense, though behind the Emporium emptying between Caseys and Crystal Palace would work as well. Up/Down Main Street will still be the preferred route of most people, but having other options and inlets/outlets would probably be appealing to a lot of people.

I think eventually they're going to have to carve an alternate route than just down Main Street. Might have to "develop" some of the backstage area behind either the Emporium or the East Side shops down Main Street. Behind the East Side (Confectionary/Cinema/Starbucks/etc) straight into Tomorrowland might make more sense, though behind the Emporium emptying between Caseys and Crystal Palace would work as well. Up/Down Main Street will still be the preferred route of most people, but having other options and inlets/outlets would probably be appealing to a lot of people.

Not sure if any of you have been to Disneyland Paris but they have what they call Arcades running parallel to Main Street on both sides where you can escape the crowds and sneak off to Discovery land or Frontierland. They are really neat and would work at WDW.

They were man-made concrete lined waterways, not natural streams. They needed to find a way to better handle crowds. The hub was fine years ago when attendance was in the 12M-15M range and only very high during certain days/times, but attendance is creeping close to 20M now, and the park is very crowded more often than not. I think eventually they're going to have to carve an alternate route than just down Main Street. Might have to "develop" some of the backstage area behind either the Emporium or the East Side shops down Main Street. Behind the East Side (Confectionary/Cinema/Starbucks/etc) straight into Tomorrowland might make more sense, though behind the Emporium emptying between Caseys and Crystal Palace would work as well. Up/Down Main Street will still be the preferred route of most people, but having other options and inlets/outlets would probably be appealing to a lot of people.
They have been working on making making the backstage area more "themed" on very heavy days they do open that backstage by pass. It looks like that may start to become a permanent by pass than a temporary one.

Not sure if any of you have been to Disneyland Paris but they have what they call Arcades running parallel to Main Street on both sides where you can escape the crowds and sneak off to Discovery land or Frontierland. They are really neat and would work at WDW.
That was talked about but it seems they are going with just a by pass. Not as much theming as those arcades.

They have been working on making making the backstage area more "themed" on very heavy days they do open that backstage by pass. It looks like that may start to become a permanent by pass than a temporary one.

Yes on our way out of MK after last night EMH last visit we were directed via backstage route. It was our last night and to be honest I wish they would have not done it. Sort of spoils the magic a bit...

Yes on our way out of MK after last night EMH last visit we were directed via backstage route. It was our last night and to be honest I wish they would have not done it. Sort of spoils the magic a bit...
That's why they are doing some work to it supposedly

Just makes me :sick: That was such a beautiful area. :confused3

More room, more people, more money - the Disney way! :(

Of course, JMO

Just like what they are doing to the Poly and Grand Floridian views - piling in more rooms.

As much as I didn't like the construction I will say it will be nice to hopefully be able to bypass some of the parade or firework crowds as I usually only watch those shows once a trip

I agree, post trip I have to say the parades and fireworks were a nightmare, people packed elbow to elbow pushing, shoving using strollers as a battering ram. It seemed much worse then our last trip. When it was time to leave after the show it was insane.

I agree, post trip I have to say the parades and fireworks were a nightmare, people packed elbow to elbow pushing, shoving using strollers as a battering ram. It seemed much worse then our last trip. When it was time to leave after the show it was insane.

How's that different?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter