Any updates on Castaway Cay?

I'm really hoping that all is back up and running soon. I am on the Transatlantic Westbound in a few weeks and after 8 days at sea, Castaway Cay is going to be highlight. I've heard most of the damage has been trees and minor structure but I details are still very light coming out from the island.

Thanks for the updates. I set sail on September 8th and was looking forward to Paradise!!

Sure hope everyone is okay. I live in Virginia Beach, VA and we are currently getting pounded. And here I am, on the DIS Boards :rotfl2:

I hope any damage is quickly "repaired". You know, even if it's not, if it's messy but functional, a damaged Castaway Cay is still better than about any other place around. --and way better than sitting at home.

We were on the last sailing of the dream, arriving back last Thursday. I know when we left Castaway Cay we took a lot of if not all of the staff that lives on the island with us. I am not sure that they even knew of any damage on the island right away, because according to the staff everyone left with us. I hope that they are able to open things again quickly. Its such an amazing place.

If anyone has word on Casey the cat, please post! Worried about that sweet kitty.

My DD is concerned too.

I hope any damage is quickly "repaired". You know, even if it's not, if it's messy but functional, a damaged Castaway Cay is still better than about any other place around. --and way better than sitting at home.

I have faith in Disney. They seem to repair things quicker than many other companies.

So sad to hear this! We sail on 9/11 and this will be a first cruise my inlaws and a first disney cruise for our friends. The thing everyone is most looking forward to is Castaway Cay! Oh well! Atleast we will get to enjoy the new beautiful ship!

Here is to hoping they can get the island back and running sooner than later! We are bracing for Irene. Hoping there is not much damage here in Maryland!

We too will be on this cruise. We are keeping our fingers crossed that CC will be open for business since it's our twins first cruise. :)

We were on the last sailing of the dream, arriving back last Thursday. I know when we left Castaway Cay we took a lot of if not all of the staff that lives on the island with us. I am not sure that they even knew of any damage on the island right away, because according to the staff everyone left with us. I hope that they are able to open things again quickly. Its such an amazing place.
I know of at least four people that stayed on the island in the newly built bunker. The majority of the others were evacuated prior to the storm. If for some reason we don't get there in September, I'm glad I at least have been three other times this year :)

. I live in Virginia Beach, VA and we are currently getting pounded. And here I am, on the DIS Boards :rotfl2:

Stay safe, Marie! Shocked to see how many people in VB are running around the streets and driving behind the Weather Channel anchor. Glad you're indoors!

I need info as well and can't find anything less than two days old. I would think by now there would be something on the web about its condition. I would think DCL would have a small blurb about it just to reassure us. I know they are probably still accessing damage(if any) but a little something would be nice.....smjj

Disney excels in message control, particularly concerning damage control. I'm assuming (forgive my cynicism) that they will make no official statements about CC at all post IRENE. (Or if they do make such a statement, it will likely not include specific details of any kind). They always remain tight lipped when things go amiss -- regardless of the circumstances.

Our best bet for CC updates will likely come from fellow Dis members who are cruising in the coming weeks and are willing share what they are being told on board mid-cruise by DCL CM's.

Safe travels everyone! (And safe thoughts to all on the East Coast as the storm moves north!)

Thanks to everyone for the updates. I hate hearing about damage anywhere and hope that the permanent CM's living on the island are all okay (as are those who live throughout the Bahamas and East Coast).

To those who might miss CC, I hope you get to visit this trip or your next. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your cruise whether or not you make it to CC or not. I realize that Disney heavily advertises CC, but it is Hurricane Season and you never know when you book cruises this time of year if you will get to all of your ports or not. At least cruise fares are less expensive this time of year (well except for the outrageously highly priced DVC Members-only cruise! :scared1:).

Thanks to everyone for the updates. I hate hearing about damage anywhere and hope that the permanent CM's living on the island are all okay (as are those who live throughout the Bahamas and East Coast).

To those who might miss CC, I hope you get to visit this trip or your next. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your cruise whether or not you make it to CC or not. I realize that Disney heavily advertises CC, but it is Hurricane Season and you never know when you book cruises this time of year if you will get to all of your ports or not. At least cruise fares are less expensive this time of year (well except for the outrageously highly priced DVC Members-only cruise! :scared1:).

LOL, We are booked on the DVC members cruise this year, three weeks away. Sure are looking forward to the double dip at CC. Hoping for speedy repairs for everyone's cruises coming up.

We set sail on the Dream on Oct. 15th and are taking our in-laws along for thier 1st cruise and to celebrate their anniversary. I pray they will able to clean up cc quickly for all of us future cruisers. Irene is hitting us here now in PA! Thanks for the updates!

So sad to hear this! We sail on 9/11 and this will be a first cruise my inlaws and a first disney cruise for our friends. The thing everyone is most looking forward to is Castaway Cay! Oh well! Atleast we will get to enjoy the new beautiful ship!

Here is to hoping they can get the island back and running sooner than later! We are bracing for Irene. Hoping there is not much damage here in Maryland!

DBF and I are on this cruise as well. It will be our first Disney Cruise, and we were really looking forward to CC as well. Crossing my fingers that we all get to pay CC a visit!

I feel especially for those who are 1st time cruisers who may be missing CC due to the storm/cleanup. On our Panama Canal cruise this past January we were unable to dock at CC due to heavy winds which is fairly common in January, so its not just hurricane season that is risky. You just never know. We were so bummed when they announced we wouldnt be docking but we had been to CC before, and having breakfast in Parrot Cay that morning sitting with another family that it was their first cruise, they were so crushed, i felt bad for even feeling bad for myself compared to them. In the end, the cruise was 15 days of fabulous time, we had BEAUTIFUL weather every other day other than the CC being missed and although its hard, especially for 1st time DCL cruisers, don't be discouraged from booking again and you will get to experience CC another time, and in the meantime still have a great cruise. Hoping for pixie dust for all!

I know of at least four people that stayed on the island in the newly built bunker.

I didn't realize they built a bunker. Was it built specifically with hurricanes in mind? If so, is this the first time they've had to use it?

I didn't realize they built a bunker. Was it built specifically with hurricanes in mind? If so, is this the first time they've had to use it?
My understanding it was built in the last few months so they could have some people stay on the island to asses damage right away.

Sounds like the bunker was built after Hurricane Frances damaged the island back in '04. Here's some more info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter