Any update on nintendo DS at parks

tom401

Earning My Ears
Have there been any updates regarding the use of the DS in the parks (i.e., for wait times, etc.)? I just haven't heard anything for a while.

thanks

what's this...? my kids are both planning on bringing them in...

I'm confused. Why would a child bring a Nintendo DS into WDW? Do they use them while waiting in lines?

Just to clarify. Disney did a test using the Nintendo Ds as a base (you had to have Disney's software on their own DS') It had park info, maps and the like. From what I heard people did enjoy it, sounded pretty cool. I would like to add that it was not people's personal DS' that were used. Guests had to put down a $300 deposit to participate in the pilot, so they could use Disney's own equipment. Disney had uploaded special software onto the device. It was a trial run. Please do not expect WDW to let you use your own DS' in the park for that kind of service at this time. Seriously, where's the profit? I can only see that working if you did it wifi, pay for view.

Still sounds pretty neat though. Let's hope something affordable crops up out of this testing.

My friend was there in January and was asked to use one during the day and she said it was great!!!!

We heard about them before we went but didn't see a single one during our entire trip. :confused3 I think it's a great idea though!

Our boys are bringing their Gameboys for the wait in line. We didn't do it last year and wished we had.

I asked about them last week
the pilot is over but they said they would be available in June

It's a DS in a big case so you can't put in or take out the cards. It's like a virtual pal mickey, and because the DS has wifi on it, they can update the info immediatly.
Even now there's three hot spots on the pirates ride if you have the pirates 3 game. It gives you special upgrades and bonuses.

What's this about the hot spots at Pirates? We have that game...I'd love to get some cool downloads....don't you lose them when you turn your ds off though?

I think if they made a product available to rent that displayed all the wait times for various attractions ( similar to the boards in Epcot) it would be a great idea ! I would be willing to pay a fee to rent something like that for a day. It would be beneficial for the busy season !

The profit in this is massive in its potential. Coding something as basic as what it sounds like they've done is simple then they simply rake in cash after selling the cartridges for whatever the market will bear (going to guess 19.99). It should also be easily updatable. I think its a great idea and look forward to seeing the cartridges available. DS is the most popular (at least has the highest penetration) gaming platform on the planet in any area where people play games, so there are quite a few of them out there. Nice to see something finally use the DS wifi for something useful.

Thanks so much for the info on this! I do have a question though, for those reading this that actually participated in the testing......For the characters available in the park part of the program, did it only show the available characters that are listed on the Times Guide or did it show all characters that were available in the park at all times eg. if characters showed up at the character teardrop. ?????? Any help is appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter