Any tried & true tips on preventing motion sickness on airplane?

1st_trip4us

Mouseketeer
I don't do well on airplanes. I get very motion sick. I have tried Dramamine and it didn't seem to do much for me the last time I flew. It was a short flight, only an hour and I spent the entire hour staring straight ahead of me never taking my eyes of the seat in front of me for fear I'd start to feel really sick. Even with the Dramamine I was queezy.
We are flying to WDW in 3 months and I am very worried about the 2 1/2 hour plane ride. I want to be able to take my kids on lots more vacations and feel bad that me getting airsick is what's prevented my kids thus far to see more of the USA.

Anyone have any ways to prevent motion sickness?

Gingerroot pills from the health food store, it helps me. I take them a few days before flying. You could also try pepperment it is good for motion sickness also.
Also fresh lemon grass helps with jetlag, just break it open and smell it for a few sec. Any health food store can help you out, I have found that ginger works better than anything out there. Good luck :) Hope this helped!!

1st_trip4us said:
I don't do well on airplanes. I get very motion sick. I have tried Dramamine and it didn't seem to do much for me the last time I flew. It was a short flight, only an hour and I spent the entire hour staring straight ahead of me never taking my eyes of the seat in front of me for fear I'd start to feel really sick. Even with the Dramamine I was queezy.
We are flying to WDW in 3 months and I am very worried about the 2 1/2 hour plane ride. I want to be able to take my kids on lots more vacations and feel bad that me getting airsick is what's prevented my kids thus far to see more of the USA.

I flew last year to DC from Upstate NY, which took a little over 1 hour. I followed the instructions and took one pill about an hour before boarding. It was regular Dramamine (I have taken the non-drowsy formula which did not work at all in the past). I was freaking out upon take off, was feeling quite queezy and my honey said to me at one point "are you even going to open your eyes?" My answer was Nope, get me off this plane! :rotfl2:

When it came time to go home i was very anxious about the flight home so I decided to take 2 pills on a empty stomach and let me tell you it was a very different experience. I was very relaxed and when it came time for lift off I was like "oh wow we were there, look at that.." within 15 minutes of that I passed out and never felt a thing!

I just tell you this because I had to try Dramamine a few times to figure out what worked best for me. 2 pills of the good old regular Dramamine on an empty stomach is what i will be doing for our trip down on July 5th!

I have never taken Bonnie but have seen it suggested on the boards. It is also an over the counter motion sickness pill.

Best wishes!

I suffer terrible with motion sickness...this is my solution to flying to WDW.

Our flight is 2 1/2 hours MA to FLA...

I take ONE Bonine (low-drowsy) at least 30 minutes before flying and have usually had something like a 1/2 bagel or peanut butter crackers...I HAVE to have something in my stomach before taking any medication. (Actually, it is better practice to have something in your stomach prior to any medication as it helps with absorbing the medication and then getting right into your system)....then I wear on my wrists the SEA BANDS (purchased at any drug store or Wal-Mart)...AWESOME!!! and Lastly I wear EAR PLANES in my ears..they help with all the descending and ascending and any ear discomfort!!!

As you can see, OP, I am a mess...but all of the above helps me get to where I need to be with out to much distress. :thumbsup2

Part of the problem might be because you anticipate getting sick, that's part of my problem. I know that I do get nauseous so I aniticipate it. YUCK!

There's a product called Relief Bands (not the same as Sea Bands) that is FDA approved for motion sickness prevention. It looks like a watch, you turn it on and it pulsates to prevent motion sickness. It's pricey but I've read that it's really works for other posters, it even works if someone else is nauseous and they wear it for about 10-15 minutes. Ebay has them for about $70 I think.

I'll second the suggestion for the Relief Band, they're awesome.

what about something to give to my dd6? She gets car sick (esp if she has an empty stomach) I don't want to give her something that will make her tired because we have an early flight & want to do stuff when we arrive @ the world.

MythBusters did a show about motion sickness recently and they concluded that ginger pills really worked, but those wrist band thing didn't. Since Dramamine makes me incredibly sleepy and I only have a 1.5 hour flight, I am trying the ginger this August.

twinkletoesmom said:
what about something to give to my dd6? She gets car sick (esp if she has an empty stomach) I don't want to give her something that will make her tired because we have an early flight & want to do stuff when we arrive @ the world.

My DS7 gets very sick. His pediatrician recommended Benadrly. It works just like the motion sickness meds. in kids. It worked like a charm. I bought the fast melt children's Benadryl. The recommended dose for his age/weight was 1 to 2 tablets. I didn't want him to get sleepy, so I only gave him one. He wasn't tired at all, and didn't get sick. He didn't feel sick on any rides either! He even rode Mission Space (green) 5 times!!!!

1st_trip4us said:
I don't do well on airplanes. I get very motion sick. I have tried Dramamine and it didn't seem to do much for me the last time I flew.

I know exactly what you mean! Dramamine does not work for me at all. I've even tried the behind the ear patch with no luck.

DH and I went on a Carribean Cruise and I was sick for a full week after!

I have a friend who is a scuba instructor. He suggested I try Bonine. He said it works for a lot of his clients. WOW! It was amazing. It is chewable, so I didn't even have to keep water down with it. (I took it when I was already sick.) It worked!!!! The great park is that is lasts for 12 hours, so I took one at bed time each night. I was able to ride busses, the monorail (backwards), Space Mountain, Mission Space (green), etc. without getting sick! I highly recommend trying it! You get in over the counter. It is usually right beside the Dramamine.

GOOD LUCK!!

I would NEVER recommend the patch that goes behind the ear!!! I tried it years ago (maybe it is better now :confused3 ) but when I took it my vision was blurred for 2 days!!! It wasn't so bad that I couldn't see where I was going but I couldn't read a menu & it was just drove me crazy.

I'm wondering if I can give my dd bonie. Benadryl knocks her out. I would really like the bonie if we can use it when she starts to feel sick, because who knows maybe she'll be fine. I hate to medicate her when it may not be needed.

Our 6 year old has never been sick on a plane but regularly gets very queasy on the highway. What really works for us is (believe it or not) Dum Dums. Yep, the cheap suckers we all know and love. I discovered this when I was asking a pharmacist about Emetrol (sp?), an OTC anti-nausea med. He said that it was basically just sugar and maybe I should try some hard candy instead. I was afraid of her choking on the hard candy in the car, so we tried the suckers and they really work!!! Now the downside is that she can polish off a DumDum in ten minutes and I have to keep them coming - lots of toothbrushing at the end of the trip ;) Maybe it works like the altoids - just lots of sugar? Or maybe it is a great placebo. I don't know, but it works for us! :)

There's a product called Relief Bands (not the same as Sea Bands) that is FDA approved for motion sickness prevention. It looks like a watch, you turn it on and it pulsates to prevent motion sickness. It's pricey but I've read that it's really works for other posters, it even works if someone else is nauseous and they wear it for about 10-15 minutes. Ebay has them for about $70 I think.

I'd like to third this recommendation! DH gets seriously seasick - even on a rowboat in calm water. When we decided to try a cruise, we had everything (drugs, sea bands, the patches, and the relief band). Nothing worked but the relief band. On the cruise, we had REALLY rough seas, and everyone was sick in our group but DH.

Todd&Copper said:
MythBusters did a show about motion sickness recently and they concluded that ginger pills really worked, but those wrist band thing didn't. Since Dramamine makes me incredibly sleepy and I only have a 1.5 hour flight, I am trying the ginger this August.

I saw this show and I will be carrying ginger pills. DH gets motion and height sick so we can at least try to cure motion for the rides. He will not fly at all (extreme phobia of planes) so we are driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter