Any Traverse City, MI area DISer's, I need help!(list of resorts on pg. 3)

Lisa,

Try contacting Crystal Mountain. I am pretty sure they have an extensive condo complex with owners who rent. These would be low rise condos like townhouses. I saw them once about 5 years ago - they were very nice. I think Crystal is within a half hour of traverse city.

Also, contact the TC chamber of commerce and the YES!Michigan website.

I own a private condo I rent during the season on Lake Michigan about an hour from TC. I use the www.greatrentals.com web site. They have a lot of TC listings. You might be able to find a group of houses near each other on one of the bays or on an inland lake. Contact Grand Traverce chamber of commerce too.

A little further afield, but you can try these too:

- There is a place south of Crystal Lake called Watervale Inn. They don't advertise much, but they have a number of victorian cottages, an inland lake (Lower Heron) with a nice swimming area, a Restaurant and Lake Michigan frontage. They are near Arcadia.

- On Portage Lake, near Onekama is Portage Point Inn. They may still have some condos to rent. It is an old turn of the century kind of place that has a variety of rooms, cabins, cottages, and condos.

I have not stayed personally in any of the places mentioned, so I can't give you reviews of personal experiences. I just found the properties interesting at one time or another before we got our own place.

Contact the chamber of commerce in all the nearby counties - Benzie, Manistee, etc. Someone should be able to help you find something, although as an earlier poster mentioned most of the old cottages are gone.

Good luck. Let usknow what you come up with.

:wave:

Strings -- Thanks for the heads up about Great Wolf lodge! Most of the kids coming love water parks, so that would be a great idea.

Condoboy-- Thanks for the info on Crystal Mountain. I've passed it along to my dad and it was one he hadn't checked into yet.

Thanks all for your input, I'll keep you posted on what we decide!

We love Grand Traverse Resort. www.grandtraverseresort.com It has hotel rooms as well as condos or villas. Great golf course.lt has pools,a spa, several restaurants, shops etc. Lots of ameneties.

If anyone in your party is into microbrew beers, check out North Peak Brewing Company and Mackinac Brewing Company, both in downtown Traverse City. North Peak's food is a bit more upscale than Mackinac (which is mostly "bar food"). Both are good, but I'd recommend North Peak.

jkovick -- That is so funny because DH found that resort and really wants to stay there. Of course we about hit the floor when we saw the price during high season!! Some of us would have no problem paying that much especially for all you get amenities wise, but there are others in my family that are pretty scrooge-like! It is on my dad's list of possibilities though!

Doug123--that would pretty much be my DH, BIL, dad and all my uncles, LOL!! I will definitely keep those in mind because I'm in charge of the activity planning once we decide on the accomodations. Thanks!!

I spoke to my daughter's friend's mom today. They only have two cabins on Silver Lake. She says most of the cabins on even small inland lakes have been sold and often replaced by huge single family homes. She did say most cabin owners are registered with the Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce. They apparently have a websie that she felt would be helpful. I haven't had a chance to check it for myself yet.

I haven't heard back on the Lake Ann cabins as of yet, but I will follow-up.

Thanks for doing that northernmichigan. I really appreciate all the info everyone has been giving me!

www.sleepingbearresort.com is the place we went to a wedding (held in a covered bridge) and outdoor reception. It is in Lake Ann which isn't too far from Traverse City. It is kind of out in the middle of nowhere, but would be great for family interaction! It looks as tho they may actually have enough hoursing for your family reunion! Check it out and let me know what you think!

That is great!! I'm totally loving the playground area (of course my sister and I are the only ones with little kids, so no one else will probably care! LOL!) I'm forwarding that one to my dad as well as some of the others people have mentioned. The cabins look really nice both outside and in and I like the firepit area they have there. The bigger house and lodge would be great for a couple of the bigger families that might want to share. (Two of my dad's siblings have 4 kids and most of them have boyfriends/girlfriends that they bring along). And the gamerooms that are in them are perfect!
Thank you so much for getting me that info! I'll let you know what we decide on!

I'm glad it appears to have promise!

They had row boats and peddle boats at the lake. The kids took those out to a water trampoline they had anchored out a ways. The kids really loved that! DH had fun on it too!

Okay, I have finally gotten the names of a few other resorts in addition to Sleeping Bear and Crystal Mountain that we are looking at and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on any of them.

On Lake Leelanau:
Fountain Point Resort
Also:
Chimney Corner Resort in Frankfort
Homewood Cottages in Northport
Westwind Resort near Traverse City

If you have any info on any of these resorts, good or bad, please let me know. You can PM with info if you prefer.

Thanks!!!

I can't help you out too much; I'm not familiar with any of these resorts.

I'm on my way out so I'll post the comments I do have later. I'll ask around on the resorts you have listed.

Actually, you can take Wandawood Resort and Leelanau's Rustic Resort off the list. I called them today and they are full for the whole summer already! :eek:
Also, Crystal Mountain is another we're considering.

Thanks for any help!!

Crystal Mountain is a very nice resort area. Our family had a place on Crystal Lake and we used to snow ski at Crystal M. in the winter. This is a nice location since you would be in close proximity to smaller towns, such as Frankfort and Beulah, and you are not far from TC.

Thanks DCLuvinit. I have a feeling that this is probably where we will end up at. We have a large group 35-40 people and most other smaller resorts either don't have the room or are already booked. Still waiting to hear from a couple others though, so we'll see. We really wanted to be on a lake, that's why Crystal Mountain was not at the top of the list but it does look like a great resort with lots to do!

We were at Traverse City this past summer. It was our first time there. It was nice and very relaxing. We stayed at Pinestead. It is a timeshare resort. It does have a swimming pool inside and a hot tub and suana. It does have a full size kitchen. We rented a one bedroom. My mother stayed outside in the living room, it has a sofa bed. All rooms have the view of the lake. You are right on the beach. This is on the east bay. The place is clean and I think I paid about $175 per night. Not bad at all. Unfortunately, I can't find their business card so I can give you their phone number or their website.

I would defintely stay there again and stay longer!

Did you check out www.thehomesteadresort.com? This is a great place, on lake MI, has kids activities, 2 or 3 pools, one with a slide, a restaurant, hotel rooms on up to 3 bedroom condos. We stayed in a Fidler Pond area hotel room. I just loved this place. Right up the road is lovely Glen Lake where you can rent a pontoon boat. Down the road the other way is Leland, MI and their lovely Fishtown. The sand dune climb is close by too. That is not to be missed!

I grew up staying at Rustic Resort many summers. Nice log cabin type homes. Lake Leelanau holds many great memories for me. I do know Rustic Resort gives all previous vacationers first chance for the next summer, but you must book by Feb. In Feb. they go ahead and release cabins. Still I doubt if you'd be able to find cabins for 35. There is only maybe 7 to 10 total cabins. The cabins are now individually owned, but the original owner of the resort still manages reservations.

Also as a kid, we stayed at Cedar Haven Cotteges on Lake Leelanau. Similar to Rustic Resort, but even smaller. Doubt they hold 35 plus people. And they are way hard to get a reservation at....I have tried the past few years & always booked up with past regulars.

I looked around Fountain Pointe before. It is right on Lake Leelanau. Nice kids play area, nice swimming area. The cabins all looked nice enough.

Never stayed at Homewood Cotteges in Northport. But have driven past it many times. I don't think it is on the Lake, but maybe within walking distance?? It just never appealed to me. Although I love the town of Northport. Cute little icecream..old Mill store there. Homewood cotteges has a website I think.

Westwind is also on Lake Leelanau. They have an elaborate play area, nice, but small cabins. Still would be virtually impossible to book the whole place for 35 plus people.

The Homestead is pricy, but I can not say enough good about it. I may even be able to share pictures with you.

Have fun & I will be anxious to hear about your trip, especially since I did not get up there this summer!

Fantasia -- If Pinestead is a time share resort do you have to have a time share to stay there or can you just reserve places? I'm not familiar with the way timeshares work, so I wasn't sure.

Disneyelaine -- Homestead looks really great! I'm sending that one to my dad to have him take a look at it. Thanks for all your feedback on the other resorts. We realized today that Homewood is not on a lake which pretty much puts it at the bottom of the list for us. That's one if we can't find anything else. The repeat business is what we're finding with alot of places. Some have told me they will keep us on their list in case they get cancellations in Jan, but we really don't want to bank on that. I'm thinking the only way we'll get a place is if we go to a bigger resort like Homestead or Crystal Mountain.

I will definitely let everyone know when we've made a choice. I really appreciate all the help that everyone has given me!

I had thought you had a resort listed in Elk Rapids. If so, I'm a fan of Elk Rapids! Great marina and huge public waterfront. They do have something called Harbor Days in July a couple weeks after the Cherry Festival in TC. We usually go. It's small town, but relaxing.

Frankfort is beautiful and has a nice public waterfront too. Although, it is quite a distance from TC.

I know the Pinestead and drive by it often. It is right next to the State Park's waterfront. The State Park is across the street just in case you have anyone who would like to get a campsite instead. There are also many activities within walking distance of the Pinestead for the teens. Put-Put golf, personal watercraft rentals, water trampoline rentals, etc. It's location is great, but you will have to drive to get to our downtown (definitely don't want to miss this; it's beautiful). I can't speak to the rooms themselves. I haven't been in one since 1980.

Good luck. Let us know what you finally reserve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter