Any tips on relieving aching feet at the end of a park day?

v_gan

I can go the distance!
The only thing I hate about going to Disney World is how much pain my feet are in at the end of the day. :sad: I wear broken-in shoes, and I wear gel inserts. But the bottom of my feet still hurt terribly after walking so much every day. Are there any ways to rejuvenate my feet at night so that they're ready to start all over again the next day?

I've been looking into foot massagers, but I don't really want to spend money on something without knowing if it's worth it or not.

Any tips?

Surely someone out there shares my (foot) pain :rolleyes:

1/2 cup Epsom salt
1 tub of warm water
1 old fashioned glass
1 bottle Bombay
1 bottle dry vermouth
1 jar olives

fill tub
add epsom salt
wrap self in towel
fill glass with 3 fingers of gin
add a glaze of vermouth
stir
add two olives
soak feet in tub while sipping martini

that should do the job :wizard: :cloud9: :santa: :goodvibes :thumbsup2 :santa:

I have used a couple of things....try Dr. Scholl's peppermint cream, something about the mint really rejuvenates the feet. Also, don't laugh, there is a Ben Gay cream that is less smelly (called Light scent or unscented). It still has SOME of the smell but I was able to stand it and it did help. Soaking in the tub does help (you could leave the martini out of the previous post!):goodvibes

I'm not looking forward to our trip in 3 days now because I smashed my pinky toe into my suitcase of all things. It's swollen and purple and hurts like he**.

Hmmm if you are underage your feet should not be such an issue!! So first I would say seek a professional opinion like the family Doctor!! Get some really good walking shoes and make sure you do not lace them too tightly. Then if you can tolerate Ibuoprofen and don't have any reason that you shouldn't take it ..try taking it BEFORE your feet really start hurting....right when they first start to hurt. When you get back to your room try soaking them in very cold water for a few minutes..and elevate them for a few minutes as well.....even if the ibuporfen seems to be working I would do the cold water to relieve any lingering inflammation. Let me know if this helps you!!

Prevention is the best medicine. It really is well worth it to invest in some better quality walking/hiking shoes. Sketchers and Tevas brands have worked well for my own family. We recently returned from a week at WDW, and never had any tired or sore feet, no blisters or hot spots. Proper footwear can make a world of difference.

Look for quality, brand name shoes designed specifically to provide appropriate support for long distance walking, hiking, and/or trail running. Then pair these with moisture wicking, heavy duty hiking socks. Also be certain that the shoes do fit your foot properly. If this doesn't resolve the issues, then you really may need to seek the advice of a medical professional (as was suggested by a previous poster), as something more may be going on.

Best wishes for 'happy feet' on your next WDW vacation.

Visit somebody who knows feet- a doctor, podiatrist (yes, I know podiatrists are doctors, but some general practitioners can help), or even just a quality shoe store- not one in a mall, but one that specializes in foot problems.

When the wife and I were in Chicago last spring, my left ankle felt like it had been beaten with a hammer after walking around all day, and took a couple days to get back to normal. My general practitioner is an osteopath and he was able to see that my left foot had a weak arch. He told me that I needed to buy new shoes more regularly because the cushion wears out fairly quickly and to get something with good arch supports. I was concerned because I didn't want a recurrence when we were at WDW.

I ended up with the most expensive pair of shoes I've ever bought; some New Balance 1123s. But they work- I can walk all day and all I get is the normal tired feet; no ankle/leg pain.

I would also try more than 1 pair of good shoes. Switch them either during the day or every other day. That will also help.

Good shoes, advil or ibupfen at dinner time and then rub feet well with Bare Feet with peppermint and plum...after taking a shower or just before you put those feet in bed..I never had one day with sore feet, achy back or actually any aches when I went to bed. I am a preventer than a waiter...anything that can be done to help my feet and back prior to walking etc.. I do it...no regrets here:) Good luck

Socks, foot cream, and ibuprofen...are all great suggestions. I have friend that swears by eating lots of bananas too.

DO NOT take Aleve as a substitute for the Advil. Aleve makes you retain water, which makes the problem worse.

Although I've never tried it...I've heard taking a day off in the middle of the trip does wonders.

Please post if you find out what the problem is. My feet really hurt in high school, and now that I'm in my 30s, its absolutely horrible. I was really pigeon-toed as a youngster.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I just want to clarify, though, that I don't have a foot problem! :rotfl2: My feet are 100% fine. I was specifically asking about what to do to help my aching feet at the end of the day at Disney World, since I'm walking about 10 miles a day and get up bright and early to do the same thing the next day. It just does a number on the soles of my feet, is all.

Me and my boyfriend hardly ever stop for breaks on vacation, so I think I'll throw a few of those in on our next trip. I'll also be looking into peppermint creams and nice walking shoes.

Any other tips?

On our our last trip, I would take a nice hot bath when we returned to the resort then rub my feet with a peppermint lotion, put some thick soft socks on and hit the hay! My feet felt great the next morning.

I know they are dog ugly...but have your tried the CROCS? I have the same problem and I have tendonitis in my ankles, and my feet take a BEATING at WDW. I start off in my worn in New Balances, and when I start to feel the "achey park feet twinge", I change into my crocs and pop 2 BAYER BACK AND BODY (or tylenol rapid release) and then they feel better. I also change sock 3x a day and take Bayer or Tylenol (whatever I have on hand) every 4 hours WITH FOOD. At the end of the nite I also put peppermint rub on them and then sleep in socks and the next morning I am good to go. Never let your feet get too far gone...just try if you can to take some type of anti-inflammatory meds. Whatever your stomach can handle. I hope this helps!!

Now, My feet are on the go from sun up to midnite! That includes going to walk our dogs 4x a day at the TTC kennel!!! We usually do 2 or 3 parks every day as well. So that is what seems to work for me.

but seriously.....try the crocs...yes they are ugly...and yes people cant stand them...BUT...what do you care? You are at WDW and all you want is comfy and pain free feet!!! :)

www.crocs.com

I have had the same problem in the past. I don't have foot problems, but something about being on my feet all day at Disney really did a number on them. This past trip, I purchased "running" shoes for my whole family. I have to say my feet were tired, but not sore! It really made a difference! I was amazed.

I also second the peppermint lotions. They do help, especially if you can get someone to massage the lotion in for you! Good luck!

Okay, let me start by saying that I have used this method for two 10 day trips to Disney and a weekend walk into and out of the Grand Canyon and it is great.

All you have to do is put duct tape on the entire bottoms of your feet, put on comfortable socks and shoes and at the end of the day of walking you will be able to carefully peal the tape off and your feet will not have that "walked all day and my dogs are barking" feel. My entire family has done it and after the first day they started laying on the bed with feet inthe air saying "tape me up man!"

One word of caution, do not put it on in the morning, only walk around for a few hours and then try to take it off. It could take skin off. The trick is to have your feet sweat enough that it breaks down the adhesive.

It feels "strange" for the first 15 minutes but after that you will not notice it on your feet. It will prevent blisters from forming as the skin will not be able to move back and forth against the shoe, only the duct tape touches.

Good luck and let me know your success.

one trick that i love to do is to pack twice as many socks as i would normally need, and then each day wear one pair and pack a spair in a ziplock bag. that way, in the afternoon (or whenever i feel sweaty), i can change into a fresh pair. (and put the stinky ones in the ziplock bag) it makes your feet feel so much cleaner and better. this is especially helpful if you go on spash mountain or kali river rapids and your shoes/socks get wet. i hate walking around with wet socks.

Hi v_gan,
Avon sells a line of stuff called Foot Works, and there's a pretty good mint or menthol lotion that my tired tootsies enjoyed. Always reasonably priced.

Another Avon product that I bought during the summer, is a pair of gel pads with little gel stand-up sections that go between your toes. They are designed to be chilled so you can have a nice cool-down at the end of the day. :thumbsup2 I meant to keep mine in a zipper bag on ice in the cooler... but forgot about them for the whole trip! :rolleyes:

Hope you find some relief!

powder in your shoes - does not matter what - I like baby powder.

after you have walked on them all day. then go visit the spa (whirlpool) tub at your resort - assuming you are staying in at least a moderate - since you are young this won't be a problem for you. put your feet up where the jets are still strong - never against them just about 6 inches away. (this only works in the jets are in good shape)

do this about 7 minutes each foot.

towel dry- then put on cream - again I like baby cream.

I, too, am a fan of the peppermint foot lotion...it's so soothing on those hot, tired feet!

But the thing that made an unbelievable difference for me was a pair of Teva sandals. I have never been able to walk all day in sandals, I always had to wear tennis or hiking shoes. UNTIL I got these Teva's....my feet feel wonderful in them. Much better than they ever felt in tennis shoes or hiking shoes or anything else. No blisters, no aching feet, and my feet stay nice and cool. My next trip is in February, though, so I have a little problem since it may not be sandal weather the whole time. I am thinking of trying some Teva hikers, hoping they will be just as good! Finding the right shoe makes a world of difference. Go to a good shoe store, have a knowledgable sales person assist you, try on different brands, walk around, and if you find a pair that make you feel like you are walking on air, buy them!

Pam :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter