Any tips on avoiding sickness while in Disney

*Always* use hand sanitizer *after* looking at restaurant menus. They are all 'loaded' with germs! :eek:

We have never gotten sick at Disney (knock on wood) after 'many' years of vacationing there. We also 'never' fly - always drive. I hate flying. :(

Also, try to never touch the rails, chains, etc. in standby lines. I have seen too much! :eek: For the same reason, we usually either wash our hands or use sanitizer after rides.

We use hand sanitizer before eating 'anything' and try to remember to not touch our faces.

Other than trying your 'best', you just have to hope you're ok - there's just only so much you can do! Stay well!! :goodvibes

If we fly we wipe down the tray and seat arms. We also close the air noozles above our seats .At the parks we wash hands before eating at a CS restaurant and wash hands after we order in a TS restaurant. We also do this at home and when vacationing elsewhere.I now also wipe down the TV remote and if the hotel still uses a breadspread pull it off or at least pull it down so it only covers our feet.

Wash your hands before eating and watch touching your face ...the air in the plane is all the same vents or not. Stay hydrated and eat well. It is not any germier than many public places. I do wash off tables in counter service areas and bring wipes in case someone gets sick not to spread it. Get enough sleep too.

I always start taking Airborne about two weeks before vacation. It boosts the immune system for better defense against all those germs. And I bring along. Cold-Eze just in case someone gets sick anyway, since that seems to be really effective in lessening the severity and length of a cold.

A tip that I heard on Dr. OZ: he said to coat the inside of your nose with vasiline before getting on a plane or being in enclosed spaces (like a mall) with lots of people. The nasal passages are the main way that germs get in your body, the vasiline helps to prevents that. I've used vasiline ever since and have not gotten sick from flying, eventhough others around me were coughing and other things. And the good advice that everyone else is saying about hand washing, and being consious about not touching your face.

A tip that I heard on Dr. OZ: he said to coat the inside of your nose with vasiline before getting on a plane or being in enclosed spaces (like a mall) with lots of people. The nasal passages are the main way that germs get in your body, the vasiline helps to prevents that. I've used vasiline ever since and have not gotten sick from flying, eventhough others around me were coughing and other things. And the good advice that everyone else is saying about hand washing, and being consious about not touching your face.

Yup! We just got home from Disney a day ago and we all have colds now. My mom told us we should've put vaseline in our noses. I had never ever heard of that before she said it. Now I know for next time!

We use hand sanitizer after touching anything, don't touch our faces with our hands and I try to stay well hydrated and rested the best I can. Sometimes it is unavoidable though, like when you get sneezed on in a crowded monorail, ugh.......

I have some immune issues and have never gotten sick on my three trips to disney:). My kids think I crazy but they havent gotten sick either.

We drive down 16-18hrs and we use lysol on our shoes before we enter the car and then slip theme under our seats. 5 people and 6 or so restroom stops is a lot of bathroom germs in a car! once in room we remove bedspreads.use lysol wipes on phone ,remotes, wall switches, doorknobs anything we might touch. We walk around with socks and proptly put them in dirty clothes bag. Before we leave for our first trip out of room I will lightly lysol the rugs (i hate to use all these chemicals but those rugs are nasty!) Then the thing that drives my kids crazy we purell before and after each ride and before/after menu review, every buffet run, even after washing our hands in the bathroom. Crazy I know but every rail etc you touch has been touched by thousands. Also we try to avoid ice in drinks if we are uncertain it came from an automated machine Ice is a major carrier of germs if people put their hands in it like ice machines at hotels. Never drink from glasses in rooms unless they are sealed. Hotel staff have no way to wash them and often just rince them off or worse use a cleaning rag to wipe them!!!!!:crazy2:

There have been some good tips in this thread and a lot of totally overboard tips!! Using that much purell is pointless. Purell is useless against viruses. When I go I bring a canister of wet wipes for those moments that you can't get to a bathroom. At least with a wet wipe you are vigorously wiping the germs off your hands and not just sliming them around with a gel.

We went in October and I was really worried about colds/stomach bugs before we left so as soon as school started I put us all on on extra doses of vitamin C (you can take way more than 1000mg as adults) plus probiotics. I also cut out ALL refined sugar, and we juiced vegetables daily. When the kids complained I reminded them that they could have treats at Disney. And we stayed far away from group events. Obviously the kids went to school still but we avoided large crowded events. At Disney We wiped down surfaces accordingly and really just enjoyed ourselves without being too psycho about sugar- and we didn't get sick at all. A lot of how your immune system works is related to sleep and nutrition.

Goodluck and I hope that you stay healthy! :)

I rarely use Purell or any hand sanitizer, only a good hand washing.I've Heard on the news that they are not affective on Stomach bugs, plus you are setting your skin up for getting a Staff infection. So use caution in this area.

Another vote for Vitamin C. We pack Emergen-C. The powdered vitamin C and add it to a bottle of orange juice and drink it through the day.

The verdict on 'to use' or 'not to use' hand sanitizers seems to be very controversial, but I do know that all doctors offices and hospitals in our area have them at the door and in prominent places. Most have them right outside patient's rooms.

So, until doctors stop advocating using them, I will continue to use them when necessary, and I am not where I can thoroughly wash my hands conveniently.

I am 'in the camp' that thinks they help - dh & I are seldom sick, even with colds. Nothing can take the place of common sense, and nothing can keep you 100% well, but we will continue to do what we can.

as said, most basic are frequent hand washing, and avoiding touching one's face.

in addition, try to use any body part except the palm-side of your hand to touch surfaces (e.g., most doors can be opened by using the side of your hand, closed with an elbow, grasping the latch of a tray table between two knuckles & turning, etc). this is especially important after washing ones' hands in a public restroom - many ppl wash their hands thoroughly, then touch the faucet, paper towel dispenser, and bathroom door :confused3

avoid touching anything in any public area unnecessarily (turnstiles, benches, railings, etc - it's amazing how many "things" one touches without thinking about it). try to use a credit/debit card rather than cash. also, try taking a daily probiotic (or yogurt) - they really do help keep your immune system healthy.

i don't consider myself a germophobe (just have seen some pretty gross stuff), refuse to use sanitizer (everyone i know that uses sanitizer gets sick frequently), work with both money and people :), and (literally) cannot remember the last time i caught a cold or virus.

stay well :thumbsup2

as said, most basic are frequent hand washing, and avoiding touching one's face.

in addition, try to use any body part except the palm-side of your hand to touch surfaces (e.g., most doors can be opened by using the side of your hand, closed with an elbow, grasping the latch of a tray table between two knuckles & turning, etc). this is especially important after washing ones' hands in a public restroom - many ppl wash their hands thoroughly, then touch the faucet, paper towel dispenser, and bathroom door :confused3

i don't consider myself a germophobe (just have seen some pretty gross stuff), refuse to use sanitizer (everyone i know that uses sanitizer gets sick frequently), work with both money and people :), and (literally) cannot remember the last time i caught a cold or virus

I agree with watching what you touch. Another biggie is restaurant chairs/menus.

I do not agree with you last paragraph. You don't know us, it's true - 'but' we use hand sanitizer every time we need to, and aren't in a situation to be able to wash our hands with soap. We seldom get colds/viruses, so we 'do not' get sick frequently while using sanitizer. :confused3

Just wanted to add- we used Germ X all last week at the parks after getting off rides and before meals- no illness whatsoever while there( with four young kids that was a miracle!). Sadly, when we got home we were slammed with strep throat and the stomach flu:(

I rarely use Purell or any hand sanitizer, only a good hand washing.I've Heard on the news that they are not affective on Stomach bugs, plus you are setting your skin up for getting a Staff infection. So use caution in this area.

Purell only kills the common cold. There was just a study done that shows it does nothing to kill other viruses..

Another thing to do to prevent germs. Stay away from buffet. You have no idea what is lurking in those open bowls of food. I watched a kid at Boma sample the food from the serving spoons!

You seem to have a specific problem with illness at Disney so you need to build up immunity to the specific germs located there. Therefore, you must make more trips and they should each be for a longer duration. Doctors orders.

;)

Hand sanitizer has it's place, but it is only for bacteria, not viruses. Confined places are one of the biggest problems for airborne viruses, surfaces for bacteria.

Watch ride surfaces. Don't touch them and then your face. Watch the enclosed spaces when someone coughs such as train cars, airplanes, small rooms. Vitamin C helps.

There is a lot of practical advice here and some over the top stuff.

You can never totally prevent illness and the odds seem in your favor this time. So relax and have fun. Be aware and follow some of the good advice and then just enjoy vacation.

Have never once thought about germs in Disney! Guess I assumed they just weren't allowed here. Now things have changed and we have a 2 yr old that will just be coming off a 19 week chemo treatment when we go in May and am worried he will get sick. Going to enjoy our trip and use wipes, hand washing and sanitizer as much as possible and hope for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter