Any tips for someone with Hypoglycemia?

rlgoodin

Disney Attic
My Wife has recently realized that she has Hypoglycemia and has been trying to watch what she eats more to better control it. When she has a sugar crash typically peanut butter helps her recover rapidly.

We figure we can just bring some extra peanut butter to go cups with us, however if anyone has cruised with a similar situation and has any tips... we would appreciate them!

Thanks

I have a mild case of hypoglycemia and have found eating small amount regularly is the best way of keeping level, three big meals a day mean my body gets really sluggy after the food trying to cope with it. I eat as much low GI food as I can too - that keeps working longer than high GI stuff. A glass of orange juice (the good fresh squeezed stuff) is a really good way of perking me up if I go too low. Can you get wee packet oj to take with you if that works, so you have it onhand? I keep a variety of low GI snacks in my handbag too.

I have reactive hypoglycemia...which means that if I eat too many carbs (which are sugars and starches), my sugar shoots up. Body overshoots the insulin, and the result is the hypoglycemic crash. The solution to this is to avoid concentrated carbs and be sure to focus on proteins which are digested more slowly and maintain a much better blood glucose level longer.

I actually have no problem on the ship as there is plenty of good quality protein available. I probably eat better on the ship than I do at home.

In my situation, avoidance of a problem is FAR better than trying to treat it. If I do a sugar boost--as in orange juice, candy, etc. I know that my sugar will instantly go up, but then I've set myself up for another crash. Thus, I want to do some protein food at 3-4 hour intervals. Treating earlier with protein is better than treating late with glucose.

SO...on the ship....breakfast--not cereal and milk! I can get cottage cheese with various toppings at the buffet or I can get a good sit down breakfast. I will sometimes bring a bowl of cottage cheese back to the refrigerator in the room.

Lunch...again, I prefer the sit downs. Will try to time this about 4 hours after breakfast. If you like the buffets, there is plenty of good protein there too.

Late afternoon snack..we have late dinner by choice, so about 4-5 pm, I'll go to Goofy's Galley and get a chicken wrap or turkey panini or whatever.

Dinner--8:30, meaning food about 9 or a little before.

Room service is available 24/7 except during the safety drill and on the last night, but 30 minutes is too long to wait if your wife is in an acute situation. Sounds like your "peanut butter to go" would work well. You can also get a "all hands on deck" platter from room service and wrap up the cheese in saran wrap...it will keep for a couple days in the refrigerator.

For excursions or whatever, I keep a Zone Perfect bar in my pocket or purse. They are about 13-15 grams of protein per 200 calories, and don't taste like cardboard. 1/2 of a bar is a good snack and keeps me from crashing.

The only time I have an issue on the ship is when I bring it on myself...like when I just "have to" indulge at the dessert buffet. Keep the protein handy for that.

I don't know if any of this will correspond with your wife's situation or be of use to her, but...that's what it is.

Thanks alot those are great tips. We're reading all about low GI foods so not only will that help us on the cruise but likely all the time if she can manage to incorporate more low GI items into her daily diet.

Much appreciated!

Thanks also Kcashner. She has the same type as you, I couldn't remember what it was called. Yeah we've had her eating more proteins lately and trying to eat more frequently throughout the day. She's learning alot more about it and all of the help here is greatly appreciated.

It may be tough to avoid some of the problem items, but hopefully eating the right things frequently enough should help prevent any crashes.

it's also great to have the helpful tips to help us learn more about it as it relates to the cruise!! thanks again everyone.

My 8 year old has severe hypoglycemia (they thought he was having seizures when his blood sugar dropped around age 2.5). The cruise is fantastic for him! What we do for food regularly, is a 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio (for example 30 carbs and 15 protein) each time he eats. We try to stick to more complex carbs as well. I agree on the eating right to avoid a crash versus treating one later. Also he HAS to eat every 3 hours. So the cruise is great since there is always food and always protein available. On the Magic/wonder there are omlet stations at breakfast and he would get that with carbs. We also like that the desserts are really small, and that they have lots of sugar free dessert options as well.

Something good to carry in her purse is a tube of icing. It is small, portable and increases your blood sugar quickly! Have fun on your cruise.

My son carries a small pack of Skittles with him to quickly raise his BG when he is low. Pretzels also work fast and small 15 carb juice boxes are good too.

I have a friend who always carries a few jelly beans in her purse. She should be fine on the ship, but while travelling, it'd be nice to have something quick at hand.

Thanks for all the tips everyone, we've gotten a few new ideas and will be much less worried about her dietary needs on the ship now. Happy cruising everyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter