• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any tips for cruising alone with kids?

Chrisey

Mouseketeer
We have been on 3 DCL cruises, but on our next time I might be travelling alone with my 6 & 7 year old.

Any tips for cruising alone with kids? I for sure want to pack light (2 suitcases total) and a small carry on. We probably won't do fish extenders to cut down on what we have to carry.

TIA :)

Make sure that you have legal documents in order and the form filled out with the other parents signature granting permission to take the child to off the ship and into another country if you are getting off in places that require a passport.

Make sure that you have legal documents in order and the form filled out with the other parents signature granting permission to take the child to off the ship and into another country if you are getting off in places that require a passport.

There is no official form for a parent taking their own kids on a cruise without the other parent, and there is no requirement from Disney that anything official is signed by the other parent. However, it is recommended by the US Customs and Border Control that a parent traveling alone with kids have a letter signed by the other parent and notarized stating that they grant permission for the other parent to take the children out of the country. There is an official form if an adult is taking a child who is not their own on a cruise.

I have not cruised solo with DD yet. Our June cruise will be the first. I have done several WDW trips solo with DD. Are you flying or driving? If flying, I'd highly recommend taking the DCL transfers from MCO.

Use the kids clubs a lot!!! But, seriously, I agree about DCL transfers from MCO. It makes it a breeze with kids.

Make friends! And make a rule that each kid carries their own bag of "stuff" That should trim down their packing list...

Also, Kindle instead of books/magazines helps keep the load lighter...

There is no official form for a parent taking their own kids on a cruise without the other parent, and there is no requirement from Disney that anything official is signed by the other parent. However, it is recommended by the US Customs and Border Control that a parent traveling alone with kids have a letter signed by the other parent and notarized stating that they grant permission for the other parent to take the children out of the country. There is an official form if an adult is taking a child who is not their own on a cruise.

I have not cruised solo with DD yet. Our June cruise will be the first. I have done several WDW trips solo with DD. Are you flying or driving? If flying, I'd highly recommend taking the DCL transfers from MCO.

I didn't say that Disney required it. Just giving the suggestion to have everything done legally so there aren't any problems that can arise. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Just my 2 cents :)

As a single parent, I have cruised twice with my children. For the 7 night, I got acquainted with a lot of people on the same cruise on a social media site. I ended up booking most of my excursions with them. I also met another single mother and we often went to the shows and the club area together after the show. My kids LOVE the kids clubs, so I also enjoyed a lot of "alone" time. I loved taking a book to dinner and dining alone. Tables nearby invited me to join them, but I declined. For our family, it is the best vacation because we can spend time together, but also have an enjoyable time apart.

I didn't say that Disney required it. Just giving the suggestion to have everything done legally so there aren't any problems that can arise. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Just my 2 cents :)

Your post made it sound as though there was an official form that needed to be filled out. I wanted to make it clear that there wasn't an official form so she wouldn't try to find one. You are correct that it is better to have the documentation and not need it than to need it and not have it, and I always recommend that a single parent have a signed and notarized letter, or the correct court documents.

Another single mom who went with two daughters, almost 3 and 6, and will go again this August when they will be 5 and 8. I flew to MCO and rented a car, drove to the port the day before and stayed in a hotel that offered free parking for the cruise and then had the car available when we got off the ship. It worked perfectly for us to have the freedom of a car. I agree with everyone else that each kid should have a good back pack and can be responsible for a small rolling suitcase if you have them.

I was not looking for a lot of alone time so I cannot comment on the adult areas but I did use the kids clubs so that I could have time with each of the kids alone. It worked so well - they were happy with the activities at the club so there was no jealousy about who was with me. Plus, they each knew would have a chance just with me. My older daughter and I spent a whole afternoon on the waterslide that my younger daughter was to small to try and then the pirate party while my younger daughter slept at the nursery. I did an art project and kiddie pool with my younger daughter that my older daughter had no interest in doing. We did meet some other families but they were all couples so other than dinner I did not socialize with them. You will have a great time. Enjoy all the fun the kids will be having!

I went on a cruise in 2012 with my two daughters (not a Disney cruise but we had a good time!) who were 10 and 7 at the time. Kids spent some time in the kids club, but we also spent a lot of time together. We would kind of plan our days in the morning based on excursions (we only did one, in Nassau) and on board activities in the daily paper (like the Navigator). Looking at the helped so that we could know---this person wants to do this, this person wants to do this. My kids loved the kids clubs and although I felt a little guilty at first leaving them, then I realized we were all getting the vacation we liked!!!

We did early seating for dining, which worked well for us, so that they weren't super cranky by dinner (they are early risers). The servers were awesome and cut up their meat, etc. so that I could actually enjoy a meal without taking care of everyone else first (I felt weird about it at first but they assured me it was part of the deal).

I also brought children's Bonine with me...my oldest gets seasick easily, and we used it two of three nights.

I hope this helps! I think the best advice is to have fun!

I am also a one parent family travelling with my children. Just out of curiosity, how does it work at border crossing if your children are donor conceived, or their father is deceased? Do you need to carry paperwork to establish that as well?

I agree with the PP in having your kiddos responsible for a bag each, with saying this, at the Disney store they have these super cute small rolling ones, a bit bigger that a standard back pack, They had princess and Minnie, and for the boys Cars and Star Wars. They look like they would hold more than you think. I want one for myself.....:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

Give your self some adult time, while the kids are in the kids club, and separate time for each one while at sea.

Check the Navigator and let them plan a day at sea with each picking something to do.

As far as transportation, I would let Disney do the driving one less thing you have to worry about.

Excursions - I would pick a beach day that included lunch, or swimming with the dolphins, turtles, stingrays.

I would think about a shutters package so that you will be in the pictures with the kids.

Have a wonderful timepixiedust:

I am also a one parent family travelling with my children. Just out of curiosity, how does it work at border crossing if your children are donor conceived, or their father is deceased? Do you need to carry paperwork to establish that as well?
It's recommended you bring a copy of the death certificate in the case of a deceased parent. I'm not sure what documents would be available in cases of a donor conceived child.

I haven't heard of single parents having issues at the Caribbean ports of call that DCL frequents, but still better safe than sorry. Canada is a stickler for the documents so it's definitely a concern if sailing the Alaskan itineraries, or if you are in Canada and traveling to the US to sail. I know Bumbershoot (a frequent poster here) has posted about a difficult experience she had when she and her son took a different flight to Europe than her husband. For me, it comes down to the US Border Control recommends you have the documentation when you leave the country, no matter where you are traveling.

Thanks everyone!
I think I am the most nervous because my youngest uses either a wheelchair or walker... so the way I figure it my oldest will have to push the wheelchair or walker, whichever he isn't using and I will do the luggage through the airports.

We will definitely do the shuttle from MCO to the port.

I am really excited about this bonding time for us, just a bit nervous about the logistics!

Thanks everyone!
I think I am the most nervous because my youngest uses either a wheelchair or walker... so the way I figure it my oldest will have to push the wheelchair or walker, whichever he isn't using and I will do the luggage through the airports.

I am really excited about this bonding time for us, just a bit nervous about the logistics!

If you are flying in the night before, stay at the Hyatt Regency at the airport. Tell them you are going on a DCL cruise and they will give you instructions for getting your luggage picked up from your room and transported to the port. Use curbside check in at your home airport if it's available. Ask for help at the airport if you need it.

I worried about this as a single mom by choice. I had my daughters passports and then just a copy of their birth certificates which shows that I am the only parent. No one ever asked me for any documents beside the passports - but I felt better knowing I had some proof that I was the sole parent. I was only planning to bring the passports this time as I recently did a more extensive trip with both girls, traveling through four countries, and was never asked for anything except their passports.

I should add that I have also taken nieces and nephews on trips with me and, although I always carry notarized letters from parents just in case of an emergency, I have still never been asked to show anything but passports as they all have the same last name. This trip I will have a niece with a different last name. I am curious to see if it will make a difference when checking into the flight or crossing borders. I will have a letter signed by both her parents authorizing be to travel with her and make medical decisions in case of an emergency.

Thanks everyone!

Awww, the bonding time will be great! I'm taking my 1st Disney cruise with my DS soon and I'm looking fwd to the quality, alone time with him. I love the bond I have with my DS and I'm looking fwd to strengthening that bond on our Disney cruise. Don't stress too much about the logistics. I'm sure everything will workout just fine, allowing you to have a great bonding experience with your kids. Enjoy your cruise.

I'm a SMBC and when we did the Alaska cruise last year they asked in Seattle if I had permission from the father to leave the country and I stated that there isn't a father and he didn't hassle me. But he did worry me enough that I will bring a copy of my son's birth certificate with me on our EBTA next month. I figure I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter