• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any suggestions on what I should order at Jiko?

mickeymotto

Where in the "World" am I?
So I love, love love the short ribs at Jiko, but I am not sure if they are back on the menu. So if they are not or if I decide I want to try something new all together, what should I order?

I like just about everything, so all suggestions are welcome!

When I was there Dec 4th I had the cheese plate, lamb loin, and a flourless cake. The lamb loin was really good. The sides were some sort of greens and chick peas with chorizo sausage. The chick peas were spicy, but sooo good. If I remember correctly I believe the short ribs were on the menu though.

short ribs there as of 12/20.

the flatbreads are really good.

I had the vegetable curry - good.

the filet and mac and cheese are SOOO good. I didn't order it when we went there b/c my hubby ordered it and I have this thing where I can't order the same thing as him :goodvibes but i regretted my decision! ha

the filet and mac and cheese are SOOO good. I didn't order it when we went there b/c my hubby ordered it and I have this thing where I can't order the same thing as him :goodvibes but i regretted my decision! ha

1. I don't think the filet comes with Mac and Cheese anymore unless they changed it back.

2. I CAN'T order the same thing as someone else I am out at a restaurant with. It doesn't matter if I am with 1 person or 8 people, I just can't do it. I thought I was the only one! :thumbsup2

When I was there Dec 4th I had the cheese plate, lamb loin, and a flourless cake. The lamb loin was really good. The sides were some sort of greens and chick peas with chorizo sausage. The chick peas were spicy, but sooo good. If I remember correctly I believe the short ribs were on the menu though.

The lamb sounds interesting. I generally don't lean towards ordering lamb, but DH loves it. So this might be a great option for him.

short ribs there as of 12/20.

the flatbreads are really good.

I had the vegetable curry - good.

The flatbreads looks amazing. Any special one to order that you like?

Happy to hear about the ribs!:banana: I hope they are prepared the same way though. I know they have made some changes.

I have had the filet before and agree with you ~ it was good, but I can get a great steak at home (at Texas Road House...my favorite steak place....yum!) so I tend to try to order things I would not typically get at home.

1. I don't think the filet comes with Mac and Cheese anymore unless they changed it back.

2. I CAN'T order the same thing as someone else I am out at a restaurant with. It doesn't matter if I am with 1 person or 8 people, I just can't do it. I thought I was the only one! :thumbsup2

I am the same way!:lmao: It drives me crazy when I order first and then someone else at the table later orders the same thing!! I always have the pre-order discussion with DH before we place our official orders.

We were there last week. My DH had the vegetarian entree - three different dishes. I had the duck, beautifully spiced. Not "hot", but flavorful, with aromatice African spices. Very different than I've had before.

He also had the roasted butternut soup with coconut - spectacular! We had roasted butternut soup at V&A and at Wolfgang Pucks - Jiko's was better than both of them! And I had the Jiko salad; I was not disappointed.

And the creme brulee was great.

We were there last week. My DH had the vegetarian entree - three different dishes. I had the duck, beautifully spiced. Not "hot", but flavorful, with aromatice African spices. Very different than I've had before.

He also had the roasted butternut soup with coconut - spectacular! We had roasted butternut soup at V&A and at Wolfgang Pucks - Jiko's was better than both of them! And I had the Jiko salad; I was not disappointed.

And the creme brulee was great.

The soup sounds wonderful and I think I may just order that. DH is not a fan of squash, so I won't have to share! :lmao:

I had a wonderful meal at Jiko last week.

We shared the Taste of Africa breads and dips for an appetizer. I also has the Roasted Beets, Goat Cheese, and Bacon 'Salad' which was AMAZING!

I really love the BBQ Chicken Flatbread.

I ate the Wild Boar Tenderloin app as my entree - another amazing dish.

The new Amarula Creme Brulee was delicious, but I think the winning dessert was the Tanzanian Chocolate dessert.

The salad sounds wonderful. I can't seem to remember being impressed about the desserts at Jiko. What was the chocolate dessert like?

The salad sounds wonderful. I can't seem to remember being impressed about the desserts at Jiko. What was the chocolate dessert like?

The salad MIGHT have been my favorite thing (so hard to decide which course was!).
Here's the menu description and a photo:
Braised Beet Salad with smoked bacon, goat cheese, shallot marmalade, and beet vinaigrette
DSCN2291Medium.jpg

DSCN2292Medium.jpg

I only just tasted the chocolate dessert since it was my friend's dish, but what I had was awesome.

Menu description and photo:
Tanzanian Chocolate, Cherry and Chocolate
Chocolate Cremeux with Chocolate Crunch, Chocolate Cherry Mascarpone and Cocoa Nibs
DSCN2299Medium.jpg

The one on the top was the Chocolate Cremeux, and the bottom bar is the chocolate cherry mascarpone, which was my favorite part of it.

The salad MIGHT have been my favorite thing (so hard to decide which course was!).
Here's the menu description and a photo:
Braised Beet Salad with smoked bacon, goat cheese, shallot marmalade, and beet vinaigrette
DSCN2291Medium.jpg

DSCN2292Medium.jpg

I only just tasted the chocolate dessert since it was my friend's dish, but what I had was awesome.

Menu description and photo:
Tanzanian Chocolate, Cherry and Chocolate
Chocolate Cremeux with Chocolate Crunch, Chocolate Cherry Mascarpone and Cocoa Nibs
DSCN2299Medium.jpg

The one on the top was the Chocolate Cremeux, and the bottom bar is the chocolate cherry mascarpone, which was my favorite part of it.

OMGosh! Thanks for the pics!:goodvibes That salad looks amazing, was this considered an appetizer?

Also, that dessert is not at all what I had the last time we were there. It looks divine. I am getting excited about going again. Jiko is our first nights dinner when we arrive.:woohoo:

When I was there Dec 4th, I happened to be sitting at the Cooking Place (the bar area where you can watch them prepare the appetizers). When the waiter stepped up to take my order, I told him I was disappointed they had took the mac and cheese off the menu. At the exact same time he and two of the people making appetizers said, "yeah, you and apparently half the people who come here regularly".:rotfl: They then said that they still make the mac and cheese since so many people love it. It's just not listed on the menu.:confused3 The waiter told me I could substitute it for my sides and when told no, he offered to get me a bowl of it, but since it was the red wine sauce it sat on that made it so good, I declined.

IMO I would stick with the short ribs. They are back on the menu as of 12/9 and they are as good as they were before. They are now boneless and the flavor is how I remember them and they still melt in your mouth good.

OMGosh! Thanks for the pics!:goodvibes That salad looks amazing, was this considered an appetizer?

Also, that dessert is not at all what I had the last time we were there. It looks divine. I am getting excited about going again. Jiko is our first nights dinner when we arrive.:woohoo:

The salad was listed under Soups and Salads, so I suppose it's considered an appetizer.

I loved the short ribs when I was there and also the bacon salad. Makes my mouth water remembering everything all over again.

The tanglewood chicken with goat cheese mashed potatoes...I don't have a pic but it was delicious! I thought about getting the filet but like another poster above, my DH got it and I didn't want to get the same thing he did. We each tried a bite of one another's, and I liked the chicken better! VERY flavorful.

I loved the short ribs when I was there and also the bacon salad. Makes my mouth water remembering everything all over again.

We were there for the first time on the 26th for our 11th anniversary, and it was amazing. 2nd best place we've eaten at Disney behind Victoria and Albert (which is in a class by itself). They presented us with an anniversary card which had been signed by different CM's in their native language.

The chef sent out a small soup, I'm not sure if they do that for everyone, or if it was because it was our anniversary. DW said she didn't see anyone else around us receive the small soup bowls. I didn't hear what our waiter said about the soup, but I wasn't the butternut squash soup because I ordered that as an appetizer. DW had the Kalamata Olive flatbread which she loved. It was so large it could have been an entree. For main courses I had the lamb, and it was amazing. The chick pea and chorizo salad was delicious. The chick peas were cooked so perfectly, too often they are overcooked and are mushy, but these were great. DW had the vegetarian dish and loved it, one of the three items was a little spicier than she typically would like. For desert DW had a Candy Cane and Eggnog cheese cake and I had the Crème Brulee. They also brought a small crème brulee with a candle in it for our anniversary.

I did take a couple pictures, if someone can send me instructions on how to upload a pic, I'll post them.

We were there for the first time on the 26th for our 11th anniversary, and it was amazing. 2nd best place we've eaten at Disney behind Victoria and Albert (which is in a class by itself). They presented us with an anniversary card which had been signed by different CM's in their native language.

The chef sent out a small soup, I'm not sure if they do that for everyone, or if it was because it was our anniversary. DW said she didn't see anyone else around us receive the small soup bowls. I didn't hear what our waiter said about the soup, but I wasn't the butternut squash soup because I ordered that as an appetizer. DW had the Kalamata Olive flatbread which she loved. It was so large it could have been an entree. For main courses I had the lamb, and it was amazing. The chick pea and chorizo salad was delicious. The chick peas were cooked so perfectly, too often they are overcooked and are mushy, but these were great. DW had the vegetarian dish and loved it, one of the three items was a little spicier than she typically would like. For desert DW had a Candy Cane and Eggnog cheese cake and I had the Crème Brulee. They also brought a small crème brulee with a candle in it for our anniversary.

I did take a couple pictures, if someone can send me instructions on how to upload a pic, I'll post them.
You got the small bowl of soup because, as I note from your signature, you stayed at AKL. We got that, too when we stayed there - the server said it was a "thank you" for staying with them. Our soup was carrot & ginger - one of the best soups I've ever had, and it's not on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter