Any suggestions for sciatica pain? My poor DH is in agony...

Snoozan

Really IS a good girl!
My DH is in the throes of a severe sciatica 'attack'. He basically can't move off the bed without being in excruitiating pain. He did take a couple of oxycodenes (with the approval of the doctor) so we're hoping that enough to take the edge off so he can at least stand up. I'm not sure what else I can do for him except give him ice for his hip/leg. I think my next step will be calling an ambulance to take him to the ED, but I'm hoping I can help him up before it gets to that. Anyone out here ever experience this and have any suggestions?

Is laying on the floor with either tennis or golf balls an option? Can you take your elbow and apply pressure to where that nerve connects with the tail bone/hip area or do you have round door knobs he can lean into? Mine acts up every once in awhile, not as severe as what you are describing tho and these tricks help me.
Hope he feels better, nothing worse than back pain IMO

My DH is in the throes of a severe sciatica 'attack'. He basically can't move off the bed without being in excruitiating pain. He did take a couple of oxycodenes (with the approval of the doctor) so we're hoping that enough to take the edge off so he can at least stand up. I'm not sure what else I can do for him except give him ice for his hip/leg. I think my next step will be calling an ambulance to take him to the ED, but I'm hoping I can help him up before it gets to that. Anyone out here ever experience this and have any suggestions?

Try having him lay on the floor on his side. That helped release some of the pressure off of the nerve for me. Also if he can, walking helps. I know how hard it is, but even just walking slowly up and down the hall will keep the muscles from siezing up.

OP here - well, he's off the bed and walking around a bit. He just can't find a comfortable position without getting spasms down his leg. Hopefully, the worst is behind him. I was thisclose to calling the ambulance earlier and I've NEVER felt like that before for anything. Pretty scary to see your honey in so much pain.....

Try heat for 10-15 min..then ice for 10-15 min...alternating like that helps mine when it acts up..I feel bad for him, I know how excruciating it can be..hope he's feeling better soon

A year ago, that was me. I found a great chiropractor and it made a world of difference.

I haven't had it so bad that I couldn't walk, but I have been uncomfortable.

On the floor or bed, lie on the back with legs out-stretched. Twist right or left and cross the upper knee over the other to make a figure-four. Stretch the opposite arm of the side turned to (on left side, stretch right arm) above the head. This may not be possible in his current state, but I stay that way until I relax the nerve and the pain eases.

Have him lay on the floor or another firm surface on his side in a fetal position. The objective is to create some space between his vertebrae because that sciatica nerve pain stems from a nerve bein' pinched in his vertebrae.

Good luck to him 'n unfortunately, tell him to learn to live with it.

I have suffered years of back pain and when it was the worst, muscle relaxers, Advil and a good TENS machine helped me to be able to move again. When it didn't work anymore I had surgery.

I hope he can alleviate the pain just a bit to move it really is the best thing providing he isn't injured with something else. Maybe a visit to make sure. Hope he feels better quickly!

I suffer from sciatica too and have been through months of physiotherapy for it. The best thing for me is: Tell him to lie on his front and push up on his hands so he stretches his back out - this should arch his back but his hips should remain on the surface. Try to do 20 a day and this helps relieve the stress that's on the nerve.
The other thing to try, is when he's sitting, roll up some towels and place them at the small of his back, this will help his posture and the pain.

I remember mines being so bad I couldn't walk, couldn't dress or even go to the toilet myself, it was horrible.

Now, when I feel an "attack" coming on, i go do my exercises and after 20-30, the pain has calmed down quite a lot

HTH
Laura

A year ago, that was me. I found a great chiropractor and it made a world of difference.

since sciatic pain is frequently cause by disks that are herniated or otherwised damaged this can be a double edged sword-and sometime be quiet dangerous. A good one who uses x-rays as guidelines or is consulting with your orthopedist or nuerologist can be a God send-but a "great" chiropractor nearly paralized my father doing "adjustments" for sciaticia with out the proper guidance.

when mine acts up I use heat for 15 minutes, then either use a tennis ball to press on the muscle that's tensing up or ask my daughter to use her elbow for me, then I finish with ice to the area. Mine has never been as bad as your describing, good luck to your hubby, I hope he finds some relief.

Google "psoas muscle" and tell him to work on stretching it everyday once the worst of the pain is gone. I went from missing a week's worth of work about 2 months ago with severe back pain to running 6 days a week now just by doing a few minutes of stretching each day.

This is horrible pain as it from hip down the leg and have had it twice and sorry to say two back surgeries as each time(in '78 and '80) had ruptured disc pressing on it. If "resting" it does not help and pain meds not getting him thru it then probably ER where to go. It is awful pain and heat made mine worse. Your primary care doctor can refer you also. feel bad for him as know it hurts:hug: to you both

Have him lay down on his back, grab hold of his knees and gently rock. This saves me during my pregnancies. :)

Oh, and ibuprophren for inflamation.

Best thing ever :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:dance3:

Hope he feels better soon. also till than google how to relieve sciatica and you will get helpful info. But the best thing is a chiropractor to get the nerve that is being compressed ...uncompressed.

Me, too. I had always been a bit skeptical of chiropractors before that, but I was desperate and willing to try anything. Every time I put weight on my foot it felt like someone was stabbing me in the back with a huge knife. I was actualy having to use crutches it was so bad.

Anyway, the chiropractor made a huge improvement for me. It's worth a try!

since sciatic pain is frequently cause by disks that are herniated or otherwised damaged this can be a double edged sword-and sometime be quiet dangerous. A good one who uses x-rays as guidelines or is consulting with your orthopedist or nuerologist can be a God send-but a "great" chiropractor nearly paralized my father doing "adjustments" for sciaticia with out the proper guidance.

Yes, he took x-rays. You really do need to be careful about who you choose. Talk to people and get their opinions. Honestly, my primary wanted me to take drugs and if that didn't work, get shots. My chiropractor solved the underlying problem.

OP here - well, he's off the bed and walking around a bit. He just can't find a comfortable position without getting spasms down his leg. Hopefully, the worst is behind him. I was thisclose to calling the ambulance earlier and I've NEVER felt like that before for anything. Pretty scary to see your honey in so much pain.....

Look, he's up and moving because of the oxy. He needs to rest and get the inflammation out of his sciatic nerve. I've been there. My chiropractor had me rest, ice, take anti-inflammatories and gradually let me move around. There are many movements, standing postures, things he needs to do and avoid. The nerve is irritated; if this is a brand new injury, don't add heat to the fire. Ice every hour for 3 to four hours, no more than 20 minutes per hour. Constant ice is also not good for it as it does tissue damage and you want to avoid that. I wouldn't be rolling around on any balls or leaning into doornobs until he gets some of the inflammation out of the nerve and the muscles attached. It's lkely affecting his gluts as well and probably all the muscles around his sacrum which is close and around his tailbone. He needs rest. Taking oxy so he can get up should tell you maybe he's not ready to stand right now. Flat on his back, light pillow under the head, knees supported up-supported well. This put correctly in place and supports all those muscles and lets them relax. Good luck. Few GPs know much about this problem. They prescribe pain pills and muscle relaxers. Eventually, he'll need some gentle massage, perhaps some ultra sound and ibuprofen. He's already taking 800mg of ibuprofen, right? He should be, every six hours and he can keep it up for two weeks. If you're uncomfortable with that, ask your doctor.

PS, my chiropractor did send me for x-rays to check for disc issues before she started working on me. We were pretty sure it was sciatica due to some activity I had done recently-lots of standing with knees locked then riding in an airplane for 36 hours.

Look, he's up and moving because of the oxy. He needs to rest and get the inflammation out of his sciatic nerve. I've been there. My chiropractor had me rest, ice, take anti-inflammatories and gradually let me move around. There are many movements, standing postures, things he needs to do and avoid. The nerve is irritated; if this is a brand new injury, don't add heat to the fire. Ice every hour for 3 to four hours, no more than 20 minutes per hour. Constant ice is also not good for it as it does tissue damage and you want to avoid that. I wouldn't be rolling around on any balls or leaning into doornobs until he gets some of the inflammation out of the nerve and the muscles attached. It's lkely affecting his gluts as well and probably all the muscles around his sacrum which is close and around his tailbone. He needs rest. Taking oxy so he can get up should tell you maybe he's not ready to stand right now. Flat on his back, light pillow under the head, knees supported up-supported well. This put correctly in place and supports all those muscles and lets them relax. Good luck. Few GPs know much about this problem. They prescribe pain pills and muscle relaxers. Eventually, he'll need some gentle massage, perhaps some ultra sound and ibuprofen. He's already taking 800mg of ibuprofen, right? He should be, every six hours and he can keep it up for two weeks. If you're uncomfortable with that, ask your doctor.

PS, my chiropractor did send me for x-rays to check for disc issues before she started working on me. We were pretty sure it was sciatica due to some activity I had done recently-lots of standing with knees locked then riding in an airplane for 36 hours.

I agree with everything you said. OP, your DH needs to see his doctor ASAP. Pain meds are great for relieving pain,but they don't cure anything. I have strong feelings about chiropractic, so i won't get into that debate. But i am very much in favor of physical therapy. I blew three discs one night and it felt like my back exploded down my leg! I have never in my life had so much pain. I couldn't stand up, sit down, turn over. It was agony. The only position that helped was with the pillow under my knees and a small pad under the small of my back. And as for getting up, I perfected my "log-roll" technique, keeping my hips, neck, and shoulders all pointing the same direction. My husband had to tuck a pillow behind my back and put a pillow between my knees so I could try to sleep. Physical therapy 3 times a week restored function and reduced pain enough that i was able to avoid cortisone injections and surgery. It took about 6 wks for me to recover, though. I couldn't work because my job involved sitting at a computer all day and I could only sit for about 10 min at a time. But with time and PT, even that improved and i got back to work.

I hope he can get through the weekend and see his doctor first thing Monday. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter