• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any suggestions for a child-free trip?

Annadesu

Splash Mountain Addict
My husband and I are going to Disney in May for a (slightly early) wedding anniversary. It will be just the two of us, and we're very excited.

We love all the rides, don't have special needs, and are pretty laid back about everything, etc. The only thing we don't really do is drink alcohol.

Can everyone make some fun suggestions for us during our trip? We're going for 6 days, and have park hopper, and all that. Yes, we're staying on site. Thank you in advance!

You can make special plans if you like, but I would say just enjoy the parks and each other! Do whatever you want, whenever you want!

That being said, I might suggest resort hopping, romantic dinners, maybe a tour, and generally taking the time to soak it all in without bored children dragging you on to the next thing. :)

My wife and I started our solo trips to Disney in 2010. We had gone with our children and then our grandchildren in the past but the trip that opened our eyes was the 2010 trip. For some reason the grandkids, now getting older and in school, could not get out to accompany us. Halfway throught the vacation my wife looked at me and stated "best vacation ever". We have come to realize over our recent trips with just the two of us just how much of the parks we had missed. We were no longer in a rush to get to a ride, or standing in line because the kids wanted to be on that ride or the kids didn't want to see the buildings in EPCOT because there were no rides in them. We now go back every year, just the two of us and we slowly enjoy each and every park. We take the time to look at the park and the various architectural wonders that these buildings are. If the line for a ride is over 15 minutes, we keep on walking. Been there, done that so our vacation isn't ruined because we couldn't get onto Peter Pan's Flight. We go every year in February (16 more days) and I can tell you it is a new experiance every time. We find things we have never seen before because we aren't in a rush. My advice for you, walk slowly, enjoy the day. Stop and look around you. If you miss the excitement of your children when they encountered a princess or Mickey, share in the joy all around you with those experiances that are happening to others. It is still magical. We still participate in Character Dining. We do all the things we had done with the kids, it's just us now and we enjoy the parks hand in hand. I hope this helps. You are in for a real treat and don't feel bad because the kids aren't there with you. You deserve this experiance.

We don't have any kids (yet) so with just the two of us the last five years some things we really enjoy... The Hoop dee doo show is an entertaining night out, exploring Epcot (at least in August it is less crowded - I can't speak to any other time of the year :)) hours lounging by the pool or hammock (at CBR we stayed) nice dinners like Ohana, Trattoria Al Forno. We also enjoy exploring other resorts.. Grand Floridian (we decided to stay here on our honeymoon this Aug!), Fort wilderness, wilderness Lodge, the animal kingdom Lodge, poly (in the past we were able to watch Wishes from the beach.. I thought I heard you can no longer do that but not 100%!) the Swan and dolphin. It's nice to check out the restaurants, different shops, or just walk around the grounds and see different things!
Have a magical trip!! :)

DH and I are going this October for the 3rd time alone for a late Anniv. We got married Labor Day weekend. With kids we can never get away then and we love F&W. So we try to go in early Oct.

With FP+ it makes it easy to do one thing we don't do when we are there with the kids - SLEEP IN!

Even though you aren't drinkers, go out late, enjoy the nighttime atmosphere: Boardwalk, Jelly Rolls, appetizer hop around some of the nice new places at Disney Springs (West Side)... (we drink hop), Also the old spots - Raglan Road has great entertainment, but I wouldn't have thought to take my kids in - now I would that I know how fun it is

Do a tour that requires age restrictions. We loved Key to the Kingdom. and i love the recommendations to do one at AK.

Sit and people watch. the kids tend to want to GO GO GO but we like to get a soda or ice cream cone and watch more. Just hold hands and watch THE WORLD go by, maybe giggle at the ragged parents, be glad we aren't ragged, then call our kids b/c we miss them.

Have fun!!!

On our kid-free trips, we enjoyed going to Yachtsman for dinner, Jelly Rolls (so much fun!), Space Mountain a few times in a row at rope drop, and eating around the World Showcase.

I would do the culinary tour at animal kingdom,followed by dinner at Jiko. When we did our kids free trip, we went on the bakery tour of Disney world. (My older daughter is a diabetic, so we rarely get guilt free treats. That's why this was special for us)

Any of the various behind the scenes tours would be great for the two of you. The trains tour at MK was really fun and I would out that there are more female engineers at MK than male...so it's not just for the testosterone people who enjoy it. It's too bad the segway tour of the world showcase is not still running because that it probably the best 3 hours the DW and I ever spent at WDW.

You can make special plans if you like, but I would say just enjoy the parks and each other! Do whatever you want, whenever you want!

That being said, I might suggest resort hopping, romantic dinners, maybe a tour, and generally taking the time to soak it all in without bored children dragging you on to the next thing. :)

I 100% agree! My DH and I have had some wonderful trips just letting the day take us wherever. Make your fastpass plans and a few ADRs and just go, relax, enjoy. Over scheduling can lead you to feeling like your vacation wasn't very restful.

Walking the world showcase in the evenings for some snack and desserts can be romantic and illuminations is fantastic too.

Have a great trip! Jealous!

My wife and I did this last September. We slept in every day, stayed up every night. We didn't really drink much, but enjoyed a nice dinner and the late night feel of WDW. This works great as long as neither of you is a ride junkie. If you sleep in, you will be riding fewer rides.

I would say soak it up. My best times child-free at Disney involve a beverage or snack with a great view where I don't worry about how long I sit because no kid is getting antsy. Meet with characters and have adult conversations. Eat in places you know you can't get your kids to try, whether it's something spicy or seafood or whatever. Do the attractions you might skip with them, Carrousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, the movies in Epcot, whatever they are difficult to get to sit through. DH did the Africa Trek and LOVED it. Or one of the other tours. I hear Behind the Seeds is pretty cheap.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into all those tours, hehe :D We are not going to be in any sort of rush. 6 days for 4 parks is plenty of time for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter