Any Substitute Teachers out there?

Kitty 34

Hums in her sleep
Some questions for you: :)

1. What grades do you prefer?

2. How long have you been subbing?

3. How often do you get called to teach?

4. How much do you make in a day?

5. Do you like subbing or are you looking for something else to do?

I've been doing this for 20 yrs and for the most part really enjoy subbing. Just wondering how others feel about it.:)

I occasionally fill in for the classes I am already aiding, so its a different situation.

Usually the teacher is in an IEP/ testing meeting, so I take over.

It was a special needs 7th grade Language Arts/Reading class where most of the reading grade levels were about 2nd/3rd grade level...

it was challenging!

However, that is my only experience. This year I get 6 th graders (and I am excited about that.. at least they still listen!)

I havent started 6th yet, I'll let you know Tuesday.

I subbed quite a bit in 2000-2002 prior to graduating from grad school. I got called at least once a week and was offered a teaching job whatever hours I could give for the 2002-2003 year, which I had to turn down due to grad school and internship. I subbed k-6 and loved 5th and 6th the best. I also did a special needs classroom, for 4 months, loved that as well. We made 65-70 a day at the time. Not sure if it has gone up or not. When I did the 4 month stint I got a salary. I think I would do it again if I could not find a job, which I have. Hope this helped.

Hi Kitty. You said for the most part you like it? What don't you like?
I am really considering doing this next semester for our district. I haven't been to work in a long time and I am nervous about pursuing it. But I really want to work & be at home with the kids after school.
I will interested in your responses.

Hi Mystery Machine. Subbing, itself is great! I enjoy the variety. I enjoy watching kids grow up.......in 20 years time I have followed the same students all the way thru K-12 which has been very special. I only sub at one school district so I really get to know the kids and the teachers. That alone makes subbing a lot easier for me!!:D

When I say I like subbing for the most part.......the part that I don't like, is the fact that maybe as my kids get older and move on I should be teaching all the time. Subbing was such a nice parttime job when my kids were younger.

So, yes, go for it. Some of my favorite moments were actually having my own kids in class!! That always made for an interesting "what did you do at school today?" dinner conversation!!;) :jester:

I'm going to be subbing this year. I had taught full time for the last 4 years (first grade), but I got married and moved this summer, so I had to give up my job and couldn't find one in the area. So that means that I'm a substitute! I have mixed feeling about it. I guess I just have to wait and see how it goes. I'm only going to sub at the elementary level. There are 10 elementary schools in the district, all K-6 and each school has a minimum of 3 classes of each grade level, so I should get plenty of work once the year gets under way. The pay starts at $80 a day and gradually moves up to $110 a day. Long term postitions (same position for more than 10 days) are $125 a day. I think the thing I'm going to dislike the most is not knowing until 6:00 am if I'm going to work that day or not! Hopefully I'll enjoy subbing, though!

See my situation is different since I am already there... as an aide. Its more of a "I have to go to meeting", and then realizing then that I have to do it.

The first time I did It I was scared to DEATH! There I was in the classroom with the reading material, with the kids (thankfully it was a small class of 9!), and really not knowing what I was doing.

I'm looking forward to meeting my new kids this year..

I'm not a sub but my DH2B is. He prefers high school (9-12) and has been subbing for 2 years except when he was doing his student teaching. He subs through a service and he will sub 3 days a week this year (mon-wed) and they said they will basically call him in each of those days. The school he was at last year generally has a need for a sub every day and they will request him this year. He makes $90/day I think and he's only doing it until he can find a full time teaching position.

Originally posted by Kitty 34

Elementary special ed Deaf is my absolute favorite

15years

3-5 days a week
$85 for reg ed $103 for SPED
5. Do you like subbing or are you looking for something else to do? I like subbing but I am looking to switch to interpreting as soon as I get qualified and going fulltime

Lisa, how interesting that your district pays more for Special Ed. I wish ours did as I do over 50% of my subbing in those classes. We make $72 a day regardless of what class we're in.

Long term positions only pays $100/day unless our Super decides you're worth more.:rolleyes: :D

Cindy I was scared to death my first sub job too. It was a class of first graders!:o

My favorite grades are 6th thru 8th.

I subbed for the last two years, two schools in our high school district though a third school started calling me last spring too. I made about $65 dollars a day, I think. I did a lot of half days.

I found that it was too easy for me to say no and I wasn't subbing as much as I could have. Also, I found that I lost the whole day and was wiped out at the end of the day. (Does that make sense)

I just got hired at our local school, two blocks from my house, for three hours a day as copy girl/lunch room person/playground. I'm totally over qualified for the position but I think it will be a lot of fun and I don't have to worry about mornings and afternoons because I'll be home and I'm on the same calendar as my daughter. Plus the school has the advantage of me being able to cover as a sub.

CindyB - are you certified and do they pay you a sub salary when you sub or just your aide salary? That's what I'm worried about - that they'll try to pay me my cheaper aide salary.

But wanted to say, Im subbing for the first time this year (3 schools k-6) and I am totally 100% percent terrified. Lost sleep over this all summer. I was in business management for 10 years, quit to become a sahm and now am trying to get on my kids schedules so I can earn some cash while they're in school but still be home when they are. I have no idea what Im doing!!!
nancyL

1. What grades do you prefer? I like the Pre-K through grade 4 group.

2. How long have you been subbing? Since this past Januarty

3. How often do you get called to teach? once a week

4. How much do you make in a day? $50 a day

5. Do you like subbing or are you looking for something else to do? I love subbing and once I earn my degree I plan on teaching school.

When I've been subbing I've gotten some good and not so good ideas for when I start teaching. It has helped me alot to prepare for full-time teaching. I think the only bad part is that I usually end up with the bad class at least once a month but it's fun too.

Originally posted by nancyL
But wanted to say, Im subbing for the first time this year (3 schools k-6) and I am totally 100% percent terrified. Lost sleep over this all summer. I was in business management for 10 years, quit to become a sahm and now am trying to get on my kids schedules so I can earn some cash while they're in school but still be home when they are. I have no idea what Im doing!!!
nancyL

Hi Nancy. You sound a lot like my little sister who says she wants to get out of the home and sub once in awhile. She's terrified but I keep telling her to relax. K-6 isn't too hard, just tiring. Good luck with it and have fun!:D

I prefer 4th-8th grade.

This starts my 8th year.

Usually 4-5 days a week.

Pay is $85 a day, $95 for over 20 days in the same classroom but that is the max pay.

5. Do you like subbing or are you looking for something else to do?
I like the flexibility of subbing, and most of the kids. Of course there are a few...:rolleyes:

I've been doing this for 20 yrs and for the most part really enjoy subbing. Just wondering how others feel about it.:)

Wow, I make the big bucks! $104 a day. This will be my 3rd year. I taught before I had kids and started subbing when my youngest entered 1st grade. I only sub at their school. Last year I did so much volunteering I couldn't sub much, this year hopefully I'll switch that around and make a little more $$.

I'd love to have my own class again, but don't want to work that much yet. Subbing has great flexibility!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter