any Styx fans?

It's cracking me up that talk of Styx naturally evolves into a little conversation about Journey.
I love both Styx and Journey. I've seen Styx with and without Dennis, and I definitely preferred the former. I saw Dennis a few years ago when he was performing with a classical orchestra. Amazing show. He still has a great voice.
I've seen Journey with and without Steve Perry and again, greatly prefer the former. Actually, I prefer the Journey tribute band DSB to the current Journey lineup. (Journey is OK, but DSB is really good.)
However, I would play big money (BIG MONEY) to see Steve Perry and Journey together again.
I feel old.

Styx was my first concert ever. Summer 1981 at the brandy spanking new Brendan Byrne Arena.

Well, a thread just for me! See my name? :wave2:

I listened to Styx in the early '80's and saw them in concert in '83. The band broke up at the end of that tour. They reformed without one of the 2 lead singers in '90. Good concert, but I missed Tommy Shaw. He was busy with Damn Yankees :) '96 and '97 saw reunion tours with Tommy back. I was there for both....wonderful shows!

'99 was when the stuff hit the fan. The ongoing tension between Dennis and the rest of the band came to a head and the band went on tour without him. The details of this split have been beaten to death on-line. Dennis was replaced with Canadian Lawrence Gowan. The fan base went ape. There have been some other line-up changes over the years also. Original drummer John died and was replaced by an awesome Todd Schucerman. Original bass player chuck had to step aside due to being very ill with HIV and was replaced by the same guy that replaced Tommy back in '90:scratchin. Glen Burtnick was a huge fan favorite on bass. But it was the Dennis split that redefined Styx history. As is easy to see based on the comments in this thread.

It cracks me up that after 15 years, this becomes the theme of any discussion on Styx. Heck, it still is replayed over and over and over again on Styx fan forums. It is unreal how personally some of the uber fans can still make it.

I loved Styx with Dennis. I still love Styx without Dennis....I have seen them around 20x over the last 15 years. And I have seen Dennis solo several times as well. The "new" or current line-up puts on a high energy, no holds barred rock show. You would never ever guess Tommy Shaw is now 60. They sound unbelievable and I have never heard anyone who gave it a shot that didn't like them. I only wish I was aging as well! Dennis puts on a different type of concert, but his voice is still phenomenal.

OP, I have seen your screen name before and wondered if it is in homage to the Styx song?

Well, a thread just for me! See my name? :wave2:

I listened to Styx in the early '80's and saw them in concert in '83. The band broke up at the end of that tour. They reformed without one of the 2 lead singers in '90. Good concert, but I missed Tommy Shaw. He was busy with Damn Yankees :) '96 and '97 saw reunion tours with Tommy back. I was there for both....wonderful shows!

'99 was when the stuff hit the fan. The ongoing tension between Dennis and the rest of the band came to a head and the band went on tour without him. The details of this split have been beaten to death on-line. Dennis was replaced with Canadian Lawrence Gowan. The fan base went ape. There have been some other line-up changes over the years also. Original drummer John died and was replaced by an awesome Todd Schucerman. Original bass player chuck had to step aside due to being very ill with HIV and was replaced by the same guy that replaced Tommy back in '90:scratchin. Glen Burtnick was a huge fan favorite on bass. But it was the Dennis split that redefined Styx history. As is easy to see based on the comments in this thread.

It cracks me up that after 15 years, this becomes the theme of any discussion on Styx. Heck, it still is replayed over and over and over again on Styx fan forums. It is unreal how personally some of the uber fans can still make it.

I loved Styx with Dennis. I still love Styx without Dennis....I have seen them around 20x over the last 15 years. And I have seen Dennis solo several times as well. The "new" or current line-up puts on a high energy, no holds barred rock show. You would never ever guess Tommy Shaw is now 60. They sound unbelievable and I have never heard anyone who gave it a shot that didn't like them. I only wish I was aging as well! Dennis puts on a different type of concert, but his voice is still phenomenal.

OP, I have seen your screen name before and wondered if it is in homage to the Styx song?

LOL not really. IMy college boyfriend was really into Styx, and our song was "Babe". So I'm a fan. But I also like Broadway and old movie musicals. I had the character from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" in mind when I chose this name.

On the Journey/Steve Perry front, I love Journey as well....but not to the level of Styx. Saw them with Steve Perry and without.

The difference in the lead singer splits in the 2 bands is in the approach they took for one thing. Journey went looking for someone who could sound like Steve Perry. Styx went with a talented musician who could handle most of the songs Dennis sang lead on, but kind of make them his own. Some folks hated Gowan on sight and sound. Others have learned to embrace him for himself.

Journey is now on their 3rd replacement lead singer. Or maybe 4th. One of the guys I really, really liked and he did sound like Steve. Heck, on stage he even looked like Steve from the '80's. If i remember right, he ruined his voice singing like Steve.

Another difference is Journey really only had one lead singer when Steve left. Styx always had 2 leads and James Young taking lead a couple of songs on every album. So around half of their catalog wasn't affected dramatically.

On the Journey/Steve Perry front, I love Journey as well....but not to the level of Styx. Saw them with Steve Perry and without.

The difference in the lead singer splits in the 2 bands is in the approach they took for one thing. Journey went looking for someone who could sound like Steve Perry. Styx went with a talented musician who could handle most of the songs Dennis sang lead on, but kind of make them his own. Some folks hated Gowan on sight and sound. Others have learned to embrace him for himself.

Journey is now on their 3rd replacement lead singer. Or maybe 4th. One of the guys I really, really liked and he did sound like Steve. Heck, on stage he even looked like Steve from the '80's. If i remember right, he ruined his voice singing like Steve.

Another difference is Journey really only had one lead singer when Steve left. Styx always had 2 leads and James Young taking lead a couple of songs on every album. So around half of their catalog wasn't affected dramatically.

When I think Styx I think Tommy Shaw....I know he wasn't an original member but he was and is the reason why I love them.

Huge Styx fan here! As a matter of fact, my mother grew up in the same South Side of Chicago neighborhood as several of the band members. She was able to hire them in the late 60's/early 70's to play prom at the high school she taught at.

I grew up listening to Styx with my parents. My first album that I purchased with allowance $$ was Paradise Theatre purchased at Hegewisch Records in Chicago.

First 2 albums I bought were Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight :).

I've always been a HUGE fan of Styx and DDY! We have been enjoying seeing him perform in Epcot the past 2 years and hoping to see him again (fingers crossed) if he comes back to perform. I would never go see STYX perform without DDY. So I'm happy to see that DDY has started his own thing with an AWESOME new band . . .those guys ROCK!

We were having a late lunch at ESPN club last November and were seated a few tables over from DDY and his wife and as I sat down I said to DH, I think that's DDY . . .and I felt kind of like a creep because I must of been looking at him in awe . . .DH said "he's just a regular guy" stop gawking . . .:rolleyes1

I've always been a HUGE fan of Styx and DDY! We have been enjoying seeing him perform in Epcot the past 2 years and hoping to see him again (fingers crossed) if he comes back to perform. I would never go see STYX perform without DDY. So I'm happy to see that DDY has started his own thing with an AWESOME new band . . .those guys ROCK!

We were having a late lunch at ESPN club last November and were seated a few tables over from DDY and his wife and as I sat down I said to DH, I think that's DDY . . .and I felt kind of like a creep because I must of been looking at him in awe . . .DH said "he's just a regular guy" stop gawking . . .:rolleyes1

:thumbsup2

First 2 albums I bought were Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight :).

Styx had 5 albums before Grand Illusion, beginning in 1972 with "Styx". All 5 of those albums were before Tommy Shaw joined the band. The 5th was Equinox that featured the song I was asking the OP about "Lorelei". They still play that one in concert.

The 6th album was Crystal Ball in 1976. That one kind of got the real train moving. Then came The Grand Illusion.

And lest I seem stranger than I must already from this thread, I pulled the specifics here from the internet. I really do have a life and not just a Styx freak:lmao: Hey, everyone needs a hobby!

Hey, if loving Styx keeps you out of trouble...

I don't think we're going to buy tickets, we have other plans for that weekend. We're going to a Dark Shadows convention.

Hey, if loving Styx keeps you out of trouble...

I don't think we're going to buy tickets, we have other plans for that weekend. We're going to a Dark Shadows convention.

Well, the potential has certainly been there to get IN trouble over Styx.....late night road trips back from shows a few hours away being the worst. Weather is an enemy in the mid-west during the winter. And there have been some security guards that have not been really happy with the zealousness of some fans. Depending on the venue, the guys in Styx will happily stop and sign autographs by the buses on the way out. Local security often doesn't like this. Not like a group of middle age folks reliving their youth causes problems, but with age comes the confidence to not always blindly follow instructions. :cool1:

Have fun at your convention!

Styx had 5 albums before Grand Illusion, beginning in 1972 with "Styx". All 5 of those albums were before Tommy Shaw joined the band. The 5th was Equinox that featured the song I was asking the OP about "Lorelei". They still play that one in concert.

The 6th album was Crystal Ball in 1976. That one kind of got the real train moving. Then came The Grand Illusion.

And lest I seem stranger than I must already from this thread, I pulled the specifics here from the internet. I really do have a life and not just a Styx freak:lmao: Hey, everyone needs a hobby!

I have some of the early albums now, though CD not vinyl. :)

These are what's left of my Styx albums.
unnamed_zpse241772c.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter