• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any special tips for a DH who doesn't like WDW

airplane

DIS Veteran
I am headed to the World in the beginning of May w/ a group of 9. It's in celebration of my dad's retirement so my DH agreed to come. It wasn't too hard to convince him to come b/c we are staying at SOG and I told him he could play golf every day. However, when I talk about the trip w/ him, he doesn't get excited, AT ALL. It's very frustrating for someone like me who loves WDW, but I understand that some people are just crazy;)
He is convinced that I am going to "force" him to go to the parks once we get down there.
So, I am looking for some suggestions. He's been 2 other times in the past few years. His main complaints are "the wx is too hot" and "the lines are too long," even though we used fast pass. He loved the ESPN Zone and Jelly Rolls. They are both on our list. He also enjoyed EPCOT.
Please help me think of other ideas that aren't going to send us to the poorhouse.

TIA:)

There are other fun things to do that aren't related to the parks. Definitely go to the Adventurer's Club and Comedy Club at DTD - very fun. Get a good guidebook (I like the unofficial guide) and do a little research - then approach him with some options.

I say, just let him golf every day and let him do his own thing -- hook up periodically to do things you're both interested in, but don't let him ruin your vacation! He can hang by the pool, golf, etc.

I agree. Compromise.... he gets to golf everyday if he wants. Then he agrees to do something with you or the group afterwards. Doesn't have to be all day in the park. He could meet up with everyone ( or you) for dinner and spend the evening in the park when the sun is setting and it is getting cooler. He can find shade to wait in instead of standing in line and be the " bag holder" fast past getter. LOL

I agree with PPs. Don't "force" him, because that seems to be his major concern. In my experience--with my own lukewarm-on-Disney DH--it took several trips of low-pressure touring before he discovered what he likes about Disney.

So your DH wants to golf every day--so be it. Don't plan on him going to the parks unless it's to meet up with people for dinner or an event HE wants to do. I know it's a cliche, but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." Accept that he's not that into Disney, don't try to convert him, and let him discover what he likes about WDW for himself. And if he doesn't want to visit the parks, don't let that ruin your vacation!

Divorce .....

j/k....I'd do the same as the others suggested. I wouldn't force as I wouldn't want to be forced in to the magical place on earth either.. . . . ?? Foreign concept!

How could somebody not be excited?

I agree though... as a husband, I would be pumped, but if he isn't don't push it (this however, does give me the idea to strongly recommend to my father he retire so I can get an extra trip to Disney).

Anyway, one thing you could do is also let him see some options as far as other events. I know different things work for different folks, but when I took my father for his first trip (almost 60 and for the first time in my life I heard the man yell "wahoo!" and "weeee!" as he rode roller coasters for the first time since he was in his 20's... great memory), I also showed him some of the other goings on.

If your husband is into cars, an off park visit to Old Town on a Friday or Saturday night will be something to consider... on Saturday they have vintage cars and the site is only maybe 10 minutes from the parks.

My other suggestion is to "ask" him to find some places to eat, which works for two reasons... first, the old saying that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and second, because to me, eating what I want is part of the vacation... My wife always humors me and we take a 45 minute drive away from Disney so I can eat at Florida's Sea Food up near Cocoa Beach and its always one of my favorite spots. By asking him to help find stuff like this, you may be able to get him to look at brochures and pick some stuff to do.

No guarantees, but as a guy that is what I would recommend. I still am shocked he doesn't want to go to the parks on his own... even as a guy quickly approaching midlife MK blows my mind and is a technical and emotional marvel.

Anyhey, hope this helps!
Take care,
J, the 27yroldStitchfan

My DH sadly is also not a Disney fan luckily for him he's too cute to divorce!:goodvibes

He came on our DS first trip (DD had been when she was smaller but definitely didn't remember much) in Oct. He tried his hardest but he was miserable - it was hot, there were too many people etc. We never forced him to go any where but he wanted to be with us. We ended up sending him back to the room every afternoon for a nap :lmao: and then met up again for dinner. The kids and I would go back to whichever park and watch fireworks at night while he relaxed. It was great to have him there - I even managed to get him to wear matching shirts for about 10 minutes a few days just to get pics! He was a good sport but we won't take him back. It was stressful knowing he was back at the hotel without us.

So let your DH do what he wants and don't worry about it!:flower3:

My husband wasn't very excited about our first WDW trip. He didn't want to talk about it at all. I called him Grumpy. :mad: I even bought him a Grumpy hat. On the other hand, I was reading DIS, TGM, and taping the travel channel like a crazy person. All I wanted to do was talk about it! It was the last thing he wanted to do. I finally shut up and just vented my Disney craziness on my bf who is also nuts about the Mouse. When the WDW trip drew nearer, my DH began to ask questions about this and that.:confused3 I tried to just answer the questions and leave it at that. He actually stopped and watched a few minutes of the WDW shows on travel channel when I played them. :happytv: When we got down there, he totally morphed into a Disney Freak! I was so suprised! He was all about the rides, when to ride what, where are we eating tonight, what are we seeing tonight, etc. He loved it, and he was so thankful that I had done all the research and knew all the things to make our trip great. He was a park touring fool. :banana: We could barely keep up with him. As we left WDW on our last day, he was talking about our "next trip".

Sadly, once we got back home, he changed his tune and had morphed back into Grumpy. :snooty: He told us that we would probably never go again and that he'd rather spend money to go where we've never been before. Well, I'm glad to say that in May we will be making our next (but not final, imo) trip to WDW. Husband is still grumpy but I'm sure that once we hit Orlando, he'll turn back into that fun, park touring nut that we saw two years ago!!:banana:

Lisaland

I would tell them that he is welcome to play golf or drive boats or fish or drive racecars all day while at Disney...and you are happy to go to the parks with PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE THERE! You just want to meet up with him at night for dinner.

Mine wasn't very excited either. I really have to struggle to get him to agree to go. Once he's there and he sees how much fun the kids are having he can get into it. I think some of the CM's and attractions are good at including clean adult humor (jungle cruise) and that helps too!

I hopped out of line while waiting to meet the princesses at Toon Town and bought him some ears once. That helped too!

When we go I let the hubby play golf in the morning and then when he gets back it's off to a nice lunch (somewhere in the parks) this way he gets to (brag) about how well he did and then everything just falls into place. He doesn't feel like I'm dragging him around the parks.

One more thing some times in the afternoon we go and rent those big boats at the cr and that is a nice way to spend some time together, It doesn't have to be the parks all the time. And once we did the Keys of the kingdom tour, which he did enjoy.

My DH isn't crazy about it either. It is very hard to get him excited about WDW. My DS 9 and I started going on Mommy and me vacations in 2005 and have done it every year. I know that is not an option on this trip, but just throwing it out there.

My DH used to hate Florida and WDW. Last summer I totally turned him around. I asked him what he did like about the last time he was there. He loved the waterparks so we added on that option. Also, we got the DDP and he LOVES to eat. I spent a ton of time chosing restaurants that he would love...and he did. I think the ADR's are what turned him around. He did such a turn about that I got him to look at DVC and he liked it. Hopefully next year we will buy.

My husband wasn't very excited about our first WDW trip. He didn't want to talk about it at all. I called him Grumpy. :mad: I even bought him a Grumpy hat. On the other hand, I was reading DIS, TGM, and taping the travel channel like a crazy person. All I wanted to do was talk about it! It was the last thing he wanted to do. I finally shut up and just vented my Disney craziness on my bf who is also nuts about the Mouse. When the WDW trip drew nearer, my DH began to ask questions about this and that.:confused3 I tried to just answer the questions and leave it at that. He actually stopped and watched a few minutes of the WDW shows on travel channel when I played them. :happytv: When we got down there, he totally morphed into a Disney Freak! I was so suprised! He was all about the rides, when to ride what, where are we eating tonight, what are we seeing tonight, etc. He loved it, and he was so thankful that I had done all the research and knew all the things to make our trip great. He was a park touring fool. :banana: We could barely keep up with him. As we left WDW on our last day, he was talking about our "next trip".

Sadly, once we got back home, he changed his tune and had morphed back into Grumpy. :snooty: He told us that we would probably never go again and that he'd rather spend money to go where we've never been before. Well, I'm glad to say that in May we will be making our next (but not final, imo) trip to WDW. Husband is still grumpy but I'm sure that once we hit Orlando, he'll turn back into that fun, park touring nut that we saw two years ago!!:banana:

Lisaland

That's what I"m hoping for. we're going the first week of May and my dh is not excited at all. I think more about the drive than anything (17hrs:scared1: ). but he's never been anywhere but 6 Flags. He's got no idea what it's all about and I"m crossing my fingers that once we get there and he sees how awesome it is and it's all about magic and fun, not just the rides, that he'll turn into that person you saw. :goodvibes I made a comment about him liking it so much we might get to go back some time. He rolled his eyes at me, so I'm not going to push my luck! I"m just happy he's agreed to go now.:yay:

Our first family trip, I decided one day out of the blue to go to Disney. I told hubby, we called CRO and booked for the next week. He seemed excited and talked alot about LaNouba. Once we got there all he enjoyed was LaNouba. He hated the parks. After that me and the kids took trips with other family members. Last december, I convienced him to try it again for Jan. I found disboards and planned and researched like mad. I planned in down time for him and things he liked. Guess what he loves it. We are going again in May and he was talking about an adult only trip in Sept for our anniversary. SSo my advice is do your research and plan in things he likes. And just like the PPs do not push it and hopefully he will come around.

My dh is kinda the same way. We went down to Sea World in April last year, and he was the same way. We went because I wanted to go. But once we were there, he really enjoyed it. We're military, and this was the first time we've gone somewhere that didn't involve his duty or visiting family (and we've made many trips in our 14 years of marriage). He was very relaxed while we were there, and he was surprised at how much he enjoyed "getting away".

On our last day, we went to DTD to visit the Lego Store. Just being there put the bug in me to plan a WDW trip. Dh felt the same while we were there, so when we got home, I booked a September trip. Well, we got orders for an October move and had to cancel the trip. I think that put him back into his "we'll go if you want to, but I'd rather do something else, like stare at the walls" mood. Then he told me that he'd rather wait until our youngest (he'll be 5 soon) is old enough to remember the trip. Well, that didn't sit too well, I knew he was just dragging his feet and if it were up to him, we'd never go. So I told him that we are not putting this trip off any longer, and I booked our May trip.

He's still not expressing interest in the trip, and while I'm esctatic about it, I refuse to discuss my planning details with him. I know that once he's there, he's going to enjoy himself, it's just the getting there part of it. I'm not putting any pressure on him. I figure that the more laid out the plans are, the less he'll have to do when we're there, and he can just sit back and relax, kwim?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter