Any sign of the Return of lovebugs?

I saw one here in So Alabama two days ago before Gustov hit. Maybe he blew them up north. But not likely. Knowing my luck the'll be out in force when I arrive in Disney on the 20th.

They were still around last October 13th! By no means were they out in force but it was enough for people to "dodge" them. The parks werent bad at all but at the resorts there were a number of them flying around "enjoying" themselves:rotfl:

what the heck is a love bug?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug

Love bugs are completely harmless, slow moving fly-like bugs that mate by pairing themselves end to end in flight, and are infamous for their soft, squishy bodies that explode quite nicely on your car windshield when driving through central Florida. Since they number in the hundreds of thousands, and particularly enjoy hanging out 3 to 4 feet off the ground over state highways, they can do a right proper job of repainting your car's front end and windshield a fetching shade of custard-yellow with small black flecks.

They also love to drift aimlessly around sidewalks, doorways, and paths, so that they can be bumped into by any and all moving objects, where they then immediately land on said moving subject to walk around aimlessly until moving subject gets angry or frustrated enough to swat it off.

Beware: They thoroughly enjoy light colored objects...so white shirt people will attract far more than dark shirt people!

If you are a complete bug phobe, you might have a problem with them. At Disney, they can be fairly prevalent - they are not cicada- or locust-like clouds, but seeing hundreds floating about is not unusual.

However, everyone except the worst bug phobes should be OK - they do not have any sharp points, they are soft, they are very light and fairly small, they do not bite or sting, and they can be very easily swatted out of the air from your path because of how immensely slowly they fly.

I saw one here in So Alabama two days ago before Gustov hit. Maybe he blew them up north. But not likely. Knowing my luck the'll be out in force when I arrive in Disney on the 20th.

No, No, NO - that's when my sister and I arrive! It would be nice if they waited until the 9/28 to come out, or even better, just skip September this year. :rotfl:

You get your choice.

Love Bugs

OR

Hurricanes....

Just back yesterday...we saw 1 pair at POFQ bus stop on Friday - 8/29. That's it. They will be out in droves mid-september, at least they were last year - not so bad though as they don't really do anything, and mostly saw them at the resort.

SkierPete

We saw some in NW FL so the season will be starting soon.

Just drove back from Disney last night and sad to say yes the love bugs are back!

Oh, noooo...I forgot about the lovebugs! Heat, humidity, hurricanes, & bugs - all for free dining! :rotfl: I must be crazy 'cuz I'm still thinking it's worth it just to be at Disney - any time of year! :thumbsup2

It's so funny that on the lovebug wikipedia there is a picture of lovebugs at WDW.:lmao: That was the year we were there during the prime season and that picture barely shows how bad they were- they covered EVERYTHING! It was pretty gross.

Well for those who dislike lovebugs...hurricanes might be useful! The only times driving up to Disney during lovebug season that I didn't have a car full of lovebug insides was when it was raining and the lovebugs can't fly.

So if the lovebugs are definitely confirmed to be out there now...and I'm driving up on Friday, I'm actually hoping TS Hanna will stay offshore as she goes north to spare us any damage, but drape her rainbands over Florida as she goes so the lovebugs are grounded for my drive up!

In Mobile, AL - noticed a ton of them for the first time today. I came out of a store, and three of the light-colored cars were covered in them, so it's definitely not too early for them here!

We saw a few before we left on the 1st, but definitely only a few...no swarms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter