Any Rumors on Magic Band Testing.

vadrwilntwrmickyears

Earning My Ears
Has anyone heard that the testing for the Magic Bands will be put on hold indefinetly. I heard that there is a lot of anger in Disney over these Magic Bands and some have lost their job and several more people in the company are on the hot seat.

An In-Law of mine, who works in the ranks of Disney, is usually forthcoming with rumors and intersting tidbits that get proposed and considered. But for this, he is going out of his way to keep quiet. And No, he is not a bus driver or cast member. To me, it kinda sounded like, where they are at now with testing, will just remain the same for most of 2014. No growth in testing to come.

Only thing on the web tells how Disney is upset over going way over the budget.

Anyone Know?

Has anyone heard that the testing for the Magic Bands will be put on hold indefinetly. I heard that there is a lot of anger in Disney over these Magic Bands and some have lost their job and several more people in the company are on the hot seat. An In-Law of mine, who works in the ranks of Disney, is usually forthcoming with rumors and intersting tidbits that get proposed and considered. But for this, he is going out of his way to keep quiet. And No, he is not a bus driver or cast member. To me, it kinda sounded like, where they are at now with testing, will just remain the same for most of 2014. No growth in testing to come. Only thing on the web tells how Disney is upset over going way over the budget. Anyone Know?
Yes Disney is over budget and a company is never going to be happy about going over budget. I have not heard anything about magic bands being out on hold at all though. This past week they just made magic bands the default instead of the KTTW at the Pop and the all star resorts. Swan and dolphin guests can now use FP+ and every Disney resort guest has the ability if wanting to to get magic bands at this time. Yes it's also been reported that several Disney employees have left the company but the biggest new of that was that three high ranking employees left to work for universal. I wouldn't doubt that people are in the hot seat for this but Disney needs to fix it not out it off I can't see a company like Disney spending over 1 billion dollars on something and then just putting it off. That would cost Disney more money in the long run they need to get it fixed now before it's gets too bad.

With all the money they spent on scanners. And portable scanners. And iPads
I just can't see them stopping using them. Disney is not going to save money until they start cutting they work force. :snooty:

Yes Disney is over budget and a company is never going to be happy about going over budget. I have not heard anything about magic bands being out on hold at all though. This past week they just made magic bands the default instead of the KTTW at the Pop and the all star resorts. Swan and dolphin guests can now use FP+ and every Disney resort guest has the ability if wanting to to get magic bands at this time. Yes it's also been reported that several Disney employees have left the company but the biggest new of that was that three high ranking employees left to work for universal. I wouldn't doubt that people are in the hot seat for this but Disney needs to fix it not out it off I can't see a company like Disney spending over 1 billion dollars on something and then just putting it off. That would cost Disney more money in the long run they need to get it fixed now before it's gets too bad.

I think this entire idea was a bad one. With the key cards, if your spending the day at the park, you can hold 6-7 fast passes. Including having the ability to Park Hop. Now everyone is only allowed 3 seems to be a bad idea.

Last years trip, there was a 225 minute wait for Soaring and Test Track. This was with the old fast pass system. Now with the tiers, This is going to increase the wait times to such a high wait, I think people may get annoyed and then consider not even going, being it is nearly an all day event to ride one attraction.

Plus Is it me, or does it seem that this will take away from anyone needing to buy Park hopper tickets anymore. I always get the park hopper and always go to two parks. What would be the point now? It seems that either there is more to come that we dont know about or that this was just a very bad idea. Long lines make unhappy parents. Unhappy parents dont spend money.

I think this entire idea was a bad one. With the key cards, if your spending the day at the park, you can hold 6-7 fast passes. Including having the ability to Park Hop. Now everyone is only allowed 3 seems to be a bad idea.

Last years trip, there was a 225 minute wait for Soaring and Test Track. This was with the old fast pass system. Now with the tiers, This is going to increase the wait times to such a high wait, I think people may get annoyed and then consider not even going, being it is nearly an all day event to ride one attraction.

Plus Is it me, or does it seem that this will take away from anyone needing to buy Park hopper tickets anymore. I always get the park hopper and always go to two parks. What would be the point now? It seems that either there is more to come that we dont know about or that this was just a very bad idea. Long lines make unhappy parents. Unhappy parents dont spend money.

This comment assumes more FPs are a good thing. I do not think that disney thinks this way. I think Disney is forcing equality on all guests. Everyone, regardless of how agressive you want to be, will get an equal number of FP in this system. I think that was the goal, which will annoy some people but will make others happy.

vadrwilntwrmickyears said:

The billion spent on MM+ technology has nothing to do with the number of FP+'s allowed. That is a management decision that can be changed at any time.

In September, FP+ actually enhanced my park hopping. I was able to go to one park at opening and ride all the rides I wanted first thing and then in the afternoon went to a second park and didn't have to worry about FP's being gone because I already had them for my favorite rides. I did this twice with great success. No hurries, no running, two parks and the best rides!

The billion spent on MM+ technology has nothing to do with the number of FP+'s allowed. That is a management decision that can be changed at any time.

In September, FP+ actually enhanced my park hopping. I was able to go to one park at opening and ride all the rides I wanted first thing and then in the afternoon went to a second park and didn't have to worry about FP's being gone because I already had them for my favorite rides. I did this twice with great success. No hurries, no running, two parks and the best rides!

I guess it would depend on the time of year you go. There are only a couple months a year that it is slow at Disney. In March and beyond, you are not going at opening, and riding all the rides you want without waiting an hour at each ride. My family always goes in March. Last year we got to MK and were inside the park at 845 and Space Mountain already had 40 min wait. Thunder was the same.

We were told that the counter readers are maybe getting redesigned. The buttons are too small and guests having to turn their arms upside down is awkward.

The goal is to speed up guest access and spending. Having to input your pin several times due to missing the buttons isn't in the plan.

:earsboy: Bill

Anger over what exactly? The Magic Bands are almost entirely a success.

A perfect success...Unless of course you want a fastpass at a second park, or a second premium ride, or are an annual passholder, or a florida resident taking a day trip, or staying off-site for any portion of your visit, or have an annual pass that is up for renewal before your room reservation date, or you only want a single fast-pass, or you actually understood the old system, or you cannot get a magic band because you are staying at a different hotel, or you can ONLY get a magic band becasue you are staying at a different hotel, or you have come to rely on the old fastpass system to justify the eternally rising costs of tickets...

It's my understanding that FP+ will only allow you to do FPs in the same park during the day, you cant get a FP+ at MK and Epcot in one day. It's also my understanding that in the future the regular FP will be gone, therefore I believe you will only be allowed to get Fast Passes at one park during per day. That would cut park hoppers down, and for my family, if this is true, then I believe we would stop purchasing park hoppers.

A perfect success...Unless of course you want a fastpass at a second park, or a second premium ride, or are an annual passholder, or a florida resident taking a day trip, or staying off-site for any portion of your visit, or have an annual pass that is up for renewal before your room reservation date, or you only want a single fast-pass, or you actually understood the old system, or you cannot get a magic band because you are staying at a different hotel, or you can ONLY get a magic band becasue you are staying at a different hotel, or you have come to rely on the old fastpass system to justify the eternally rising costs of tickets...
Excellent summary! Is there a FAQ page somewhere? I'm going in Feb, and I think I matched 8 or 9 of your points ;-)

Anger over what exactly? The Magic Bands are almost entirely a success.

From what I've read I think most people would agree the MB's are a success, I think the complaints mostly come from people that lump the magic bands and FP+ together.

I can't imagine a scenario where Disney would get rid of MB's, they are convenient and allow guests to easily spend money.

I wouldn't be surprised to see additional changes with FP+, maybe even a return to FP- using the MB's instead of paper tickets. Personally I found FP+ worked great for my touring style but I can see why lots of people wouldn't like it.

It's my understanding that FP+ will only allow you to do FPs in the same park during the day, you cant get a FP+ at MK and Epcot in one day. It's also my understanding that in the future the regular FP will be gone, therefore I believe you will only be allowed to get Fast Passes at one park during per day. That would cut park hoppers down, and for my family, if this is true, then I believe we would stop purchasing park hoppers.

FP+ is limited to one park but works great for hoppers who make them for the 2nd park.

The plan is to go to park 1 at rope drop when lines are short and ride everything before it gets busy (without needing any FP) and then hop over to park 2 where you already have FP+'s for the e-tickets.

Depending on your touring style it may make park hopping less likely but for others, like me, it makes park hopping more likely.

FP+ is limited to one park but works great for hoppers who make them for the 2nd park.

The plan is to go to park 1 at rope drop when lines are short and ride everything before it gets busy (without needing any FP) and then hop over to park 2 where you already have FP+'s for the e-tickets.

Depending on your touring style it may make park hopping less likely but for others, like me, it makes park hopping more likely.

I can see that working for some, but I also see it not working for many.

I think the magic bands are a great idea, its the FP+ that I've got a major problem with.

I agree 100%.

I, like many other families, take my kids to Disney every year. The cost is just about $4500. I am always ok with this, just because we get to go on all the rides and come back fulfilled. Getting into the park at 8am leaving at midnight, gives us the opportunity to go on 6-7 fast pass rides, without having to stand in line for 1-2 hours. For $4500.00, money well spent.

But now they want me, and families like me, to spend the same amount, but limit us to 3 rides. It does not make any sense. I am hoping that there is more to come that benefits the locals and people who stay in the resort. I am hoping for the magic bands to allow 3 fast passes right from the start, but to continue getting the key to use the system as is for more passes.

I agree 100%.

I, like many other families, take my kids to Disney every year. The cost is just about $4500. I am always ok with this, just because we get to go on all the rides and come back fulfilled. Getting into the park at 8am leaving at midnight, gives us the opportunity to go on 6-7 fast pass rides, without having to stand in line for 1-2 hours. For $4500.00, money well spent.

But now they want me, and families like me, to spend the same amount, but limit us to 3 rides. It does not make any sense. I am hoping that there is more to come that benefits the locals and people who stay in the resort. I am hoping for the magic bands to allow 3 fast passes right from the start, but to continue getting the key to use the system as is for more passes.

Nailed it.

The message being received on my end from disney, is that my money doesnt matter to them anymore.

What disney cares about are the once in a life time visitors, the others don't matter anymore.

I think this entire idea was a bad one. With the key cards, if your spending the day at the park, you can hold 6-7 fast passes. Including having the ability to Park Hop. Now everyone is only allowed 3 seems to be a bad idea. Last years trip, there was a 225 minute wait for Soaring and Test Track. This was with the old fast pass system. Now with the tiers, This is going to increase the wait times to such a high wait, I think people may get annoyed and then consider not even going, being it is nearly an all day event to ride one attraction. Plus Is it me, or does it seem that this will take away from anyone needing to buy Park hopper tickets anymore. I always get the park hopper and always go to two parks. What would be the point now? It seems that either there is more to come that we dont know about or that this was just a very bad idea. Long lines make unhappy parents. Unhappy parents dont spend money.
Yes you have a point with park hoppers. My family always buys park hoppers and this makes me kind of mad that I can't use them at two parks in one day. I do feel tho that having only 3 per person will free up more fast passes instead of those people who hoard fast passes and there are plenty of those people out there. I feel now soarin and test track fast passes won't be gone within an hour of the park opening same with TSM. Your only going to see long lines in the busy season especially the holidays but once Disney gets all the glitches worked out I don't think it will be that bad in the long run.

The billion spent on MM+ technology has nothing to do with the number of FP+'s allowed. That is a management decision that can be changed at any time. In September, FP+ actually enhanced my park hopping. I was able to go to one park at opening and ride all the rides I wanted first thing and then in the afternoon went to a second park and didn't have to worry about FP's being gone because I already had them for my favorite rides. I did this twice with great success. No hurries, no running, two parks and the best rides!
And in the long run I think everyone will see it this way

come 2014 Disney has already said everyone will be able to use the new system. AP holders already can use the new system if they have stayed or are going to stay on site. Off site is only open to the swan and dolphin at this point I would assume that to be expanded disney wants everyone to use this new system. Once the system is fully implemented this won't be a problem Disney is not to that point yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter