Any rumor when 2014 dates come out?

minnieandmickey said:
I think with the popularity the Dream last year that they probably thought the Fantasy would follow and priced point it accordingly. What they are finding out is that there is a plateau for what consumers will pay for a cruise, Disney or otherwise. Especially with airfare increases, as well as hotel and theme park price increases, DCL is slowly outpricing itself and has to adjust accordingly.

I hope the 2014 prices are more reasonable then.

Me too. Our first ever cruise was 6/30 and the only way we were able to do it was the VGT rate. Supposedly opening day pricing was cheaper, so I have our TA on standby with a few possible 2014 dates for us. There is definitely a cap on what I will pay for a 7 night vacation, and most of the time the regular prices are well above that.

I don't know about Carnival or Princess, but Royal Caribbean probably won't open bookings in the Caribbean beyond May 2014 until next March.

I don't recall DCL opening new bookings 2 calendar years ahead until they announced the Summer 2010 Baltic cruises in the fall of 2008. I can remember booking the August 2005 Panama Canal cruise in April 2004, the summer 2007 Med cruise in March or April 2006, and the May 2008 Panama Canal cruise in January 2007. I think DCL announced the 2010 Baltic and 2011 Alaska cruises in the fall of 2008 and 2009 to ensure that people booked them LONG before other cruise lines released their Europe and Alaska itineraries the following spring.

We were able to get an August 2008 Panama Cruise spot very early in December 2007 when something was announced for 2009. Can't remember what though - I was more focused on getting a Panama spot when people moved to the next year. I'm still hoping we'll hear something this year. But, if we don't hear by around Dec 6th or so - I'd say it'll be next year before we hear anything. Basically there is no rhyme or reason - just whenever DCL feels like it.

I hope the 2014 prices are more reasonable then.

I think that is the problem (rock & hard place) that DCL finds themselves in. They want to drop the prices because they raised rates way too far for 2013, but if 2014 rates are too low the run the risk of many 2013 cancellations for lower 2014 prices.

The best way to handle this dilemma is to do nothing. The longer they wait to release 2014 the more sailings and final payments dates will have passed. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't release rates until the springtime.

I think that is the problem (rock & hard place) that DCL finds themselves in. They want to drop the prices because they raised rates way too far for 2013, but if 2014 rates are too low the run the risk of many 2013 cancellations for lower 2014 prices.

The best way to handle this dilemma is to do nothing. The longer they wait to release 2014 the more sailings and final payments dates will have passed. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't release rates until the springtime.

Since DCL itself recommends booking a year in advance, I have a hard time thinking the January 2014 stuff won't be out by this coming January. I could be wrong. What they could do is drop prices later...

Just read this on a FB site " Monday is the schedule day according to the website. Right now it is through May 31st. On Monday is is suppose to open from June 1st to August 9th." but I can't find this anywhere on the DCL site. Has anyone seen this? popcorn::

Just read this on a FB site " Monday is the schedule day according to the website. Right now it is through May 31st. On Monday is is suppose to open from June 1st to August 9th." but I can't find this anywhere on the DCL site. Has anyone seen this? popcorn::

That sounds more like Southwest's booking window - they currently only have dates through May 31, 2013 open for booking. I don't believe that DCL has any 2014 dates available for booking yet. :confused3

Since DCL itself recommends booking a year in advance, I have a hard time thinking the January 2014 stuff won't be out by this coming January. I could be wrong. What they could do is drop prices later...

In year's past DCL has announced known itineraries (Caribbean/Bahamas) in the Fall and newer itineraries in the Spring so you don't always get the same amount of lead time.

I do agree that January 2014 should be all known itineraries, but DCL has never put themselves in this position before. They have never made such a egregious pricing error as they did in 2013 and they are not sure how to get themselves out of this position.

Typically pricing would be low when first released, but that was not the case for 2013. On day 1, the pricing was almost doubled in my case. In 2012 I was able to get 2 Cat 4s with 4 people for $7,800. Those same 4 people in a single Cat 4A was $7,600 in 2013. That is an insane price increase when you consider that the 2013 pricing takes into account 3rd and 4th passenger pricing which is always much lower than 1st and 2nd.

DCL screwed up royally with their 2013 pricing, they know it, and are trying to figure out what to do.

Our first DCL cruise was 2002, I have followed pricing very closely for the last 10 years and the price increases for 2013 were by far the most insulting. Luckily for many of us, it didn't go unnoticed.

Pudo said:
In year's past DCL has announced known itineraries (Caribbean/Bahamas) in the Fall and newer itineraries in the Spring so you don't always get the same amount of lead time.

I do agree that January 2014 should be all known itineraries, but DCL has never put themselves in this position before. They have never made such a egregious pricing error as they did in 2013 and they are not sure how to get themselves out of this position.

Typically pricing would be low when first released, but that was not the case for 2013. On day 1, the pricing was almost doubled in my case. In 2012 I was able to get 2 Cat 4s with 4 people for $7,800. Those same 4 people in a single Cat 4A was $7,600 in 2013. That is an insane price increase when you consider that the 2013 pricing takes into account 3rd and 4th passenger pricing which is always much lower than 1st and 2nd.

DCL screwed up royally with their 2013 pricing, they know it, and are trying to figure out what to do.

Our first DCL cruise was 2002, I have followed pricing very closely for the last 10 years and the price increases for 2013 were by far the most insulting. Luckily for many of us, it didn't go unnoticed.

Same happened to us which is why we will be cramming five into one cabin in 2013.

peterpan47 said:
I think they may have. The page now says there are 2013 cruises from $399 per person. I don't remember seeing any prices that low before.

My Jan 2013 Miami 4 night Bahamas was $399/person. (Or it may have been $400) Either way it was a great price for DCL!

Oh I meant from the get go. Why not just offer lower prices from the beginning...?

That, and I've always wondered why Disney chooses to let their prices balloon in a 24-hour period when other cruise lines don't do that. Why can't they reign in the pricing and level it off and stop the tier process :confused3 That would avoid the mass hysteria on day one to get rooms, which then prevents any later cruisers who want to book from being able to afford rooms :sad2:

I hadn't seen this explanation before, but I suspect you are exactly right. The delay makes much more sense when put in this perspective. The DVC member deals and all the *GT rates on sailings last year certainly support the idea that Disney made a huge blunder on pricing last year.

Also, regarding the usual practice of releasing classic ships/different itineraries later, that isn't necessarily true--we booked our 2012 summer Med cruise OVER 2 years before sailing.

I hadn't seen this explanation before, but I suspect you are exactly right. The delay makes much more sense when put in this perspective. The DVC member deals and all the *GT rates on sailings last year certainly support the idea that Disney made a huge blunder on pricing last year.

Also, regarding the usual practice of releasing classic ships/different itineraries later, that isn't necessarily true--we booked our 2012 summer Med cruise OVER 2 years before sailing.

There were no Med cruises this past summer, and DCL hasn't released summer cruises 2 full years prior. DCL released the 2011 Alaska cruises in September 2009, but I think that's as early as they have opened bookings.

We just got off the Dream this morning - great cruise, great weather!

We booked a dummy cruise while onboard and (of course) we had to ask when 2014 would be released. We were told by the booking agent to expect the release around the beginning of December - he said DCL wanted to get them out before the holidays. He also said that he "seriously doubted" that the Dream or Fantasy would do any southern caribbean itineraries.

(Have no idea how accurate this info is, just wanted to pass it along).

We just got off the Dream this morning - great cruise, great weather!

We booked a dummy cruise while onboard and (of course) we had to ask when 2014 would be released. We were told by the booking agent to expect the release around the beginning of December - he said DCL wanted to get them out before the holidays. He also said that he "seriously doubted" that the Dream or Fantasy would do any southern caribbean itineraries.

(Have no idea how accurate this info is, just wanted to pass it along).

Thanks for passing it along. It at least give us some not so far in the future time to hope for. If it doesn't happen, at least the aggravation will have been relieved for a couple of weeks :-) I can't believe we (my daughter and I) are anxiously waiting for announcement of a cruise exactly 2 days past where they are now listed, and can't finalize our plans for the lack of 2 days in the schedule :-) We keep guessing what the plans for the Magic will be after the 2013/14 New Years Cruise (on which we are booked) docks on 1/2/2014. Will they go to the Bahamas for 3 or 4 days? Will they go to the Caribbean for 5 days? Will they create some 4 day Caribbean shorties out of Miami like Carnival has? Will they just move the ship to a completely different place? Too many options! Carnival has an inexpensive 4 day Caribbean out of Miami leaving on 1/2/2014 and if Disney doesn't do something soon, we are likely to book on that one.

I really wouldn't think it will be before December 16. They will not want a bunch of 2014 cruises sitting with only 10% deposits down. Hope I am wrong.

I think with the popularity the Dream last year that they probably thought the Fantasy would follow and priced point it accordingly. What they are finding out is that there is a plateau for what consumers will pay for a cruise, Disney or otherwise. Especially with airfare increases, as well as hotel and theme park price increases, DCL is slowly outpricing itself and has to adjust accordingly.

Airfare prices are going to kill DCL if they don't lower the prices. Disney has raised their Southern California Park prices, and they are losing annual passholders left and right because of it. They must think the economy is quickly recovering? What hole do they have their head in?

I'm a huge DCL fan, but they're pricing my family right out of a cruise vacation if they keep these prices up because I won't be able to afford airfare, hotel, transportation, and excursions.

SG101 said:
Airfare prices are going to kill DCL if they don't lower the prices. Disney has raised their Southern California Park prices, and they are losing annual passholders left and right because of it. They must think the economy is quickly recovering? What hole do they have their head in?

I'm a huge DCL fan, but they're pricing my family right out of a cruise vacation if they keep these prices up because I won't be able to afford airfare, hotel, transportation, and excursions.

You can drive to the port. People don't have to fly.

Disney shouldn't have to adjust their prices to accommodate for higher airfare costs. Of course, I'm not arguing for higher prices.

tajz90 said:
You can drive to the port. People don't have to fly.

Disney shouldn't have to adjust their prices to accommodate for higher airfare costs. Of course, I'm not arguing for higher prices.

Drive from California to Florida, New York or Texas? Many people have to fly. I think that should be taken into consideration unless its a local resident discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter