Any recommendations on which location/ship to go on?

red419

Earning My Ears
This will be my first cruise with and our first really big vacation. My daughter is thrilled we chose the cruise because we thought it might be a little bit more laid back than the hustle and bustle of WDW. Now the question is where to? We are on the east coast,a I thought about the 4 day Bahamas but not sure if that's enough time. My daughter wants Alaska (she's 7 LOL) Thoughts? Also any pointers for a newbie? Do I need a passport?

Hi Red, and :welcome:!
I'm only a few steps beyond you, having recently returned from our first cruise ever, Ny-Canada on DCL. I'm sure lots of experienced cruisers will pipe up here, too.
First of all, the cruise is WAY more relaxed than WDW. Well, for us it was, anyway. And equally enjoyable for all different types and ages!
You say you are East Coast, but where? Also, what season are you thinking of cruising? Do you want a warm beachy vacation or a cooler one? Also, how long do you want to cruise for - many people vote for at least 4 nights, and I would say even 5 (more??) if you can.
Your cruise will be made up of sea days (on the boat all day!:banana:) and port days. Port days might be in a "real port" where you can also choose to stay on the boat but might plan a real port adventure/tour/outing or just get off and walk around. Port might also be Castaway Cay if you are going south, and that's a beach day. I'd say make sure you have a mix of both kinds of days on whatever cruise you choose!
When we got off in Canada they needed EITHER a passport OR a photo-ID. On DCL's website they list what kinds of IDs are acceptable. The kids did not need ID, only adults.
That's my 2 cents for today!:flower3:

WELCOME TO THE CRUISE BOARD!!!

There are so many variables you will have to narrow it down a bit.....first WHEN do you want to cruise. Some of the ships are in different regions depending on the time of year so I would first nail down the WHEN and from there figure out the WHERE and that can determine which ship is available for that itinerary.

Here is a pdf of the cruise itineraries for 2012-13.

http://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/DTA-Domestic/pdf/DCL/2012_13_Itin_DCL_230112.pdf

DCL has four ships....the Magic and Wonder were put into service in 1998 and 1999 respectively and the Dream and Fantasy were put into service in 2011 and 2012. The M/W are smaller and the D/F are much larger. All offer wonderful service and amenities.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter