Any recommendations for my first triathalon?

Rupert B Puppenstein

DIS Veteran
I know that Disney has some on property, but that they aren't really Disney...but are there any triathalons that would be a lot of fun for a first-timer that have the feel and awesome medals offered at Disney? :goodvibes Preferably a really short one? :laughing: I need to start looking at training, etc. but I need to decide on which one to go for first.

TIA!

I personally don't know that many back on the East Coast, but I would definitely google it or look up your local tri team. I know the tri teams out here have schedules of different events and can tell you which ones are the best for beginners. I did a duathlon a few years ago at Disneyland, but thy didn't have it last year (which is why I did the Disneyland Half Marathon instead). It was run through Trek Women. They went to Disney World last year and I don't know where they're going this year. That one was a lot of fun and was great for beginners. Just keep your eye out there and you'll never know what you'll find!

Triathlons are awesome though and you'll have a blast! They are hard to train for and take a lot of time, but I think they're totally worth it.

DC Triathlon in early June is a good beginner triathlon. The water is really calm, the bike course was pretty open last year (3 traffic lanes each direction), run relatively flat minus the end. It was very well organized as well.

Just a suggestion, but it may be worthwhile to do your first tri locally so that you can get a feel for what the sport entails. There are a lot of details to triathlon, both in training/racing as well as the logistics of race day/equipment/traveling with bike/etc. If you google tris in your local area, I'm sure you can find several sprint distance events for early spring.

Once you get the first one out of the way, you could focus on finding one of those "fun" events you describe. Chicago has a HUGE event in late summer, and if you end up eventually shooting for the longer distances, the official "m-dot" half and full ironman races are very well run and tend to also bring the big-race atmosphere (but unfortunately, the big-race price as well).

Hope that helps!

Steve

I see you are in Atlanta. There must be a large tri club or a few large tri clubs in the area. Contact them and see what is scheduled. Suggestion would be to do a sprint as your first race.

Disney spoils us. Not too many races can match Disney for the organization, fun and bling.

You really need to get into the M dot half Ironman and the full Ironman races to get anywhere close to the level of excitement a Disney race brings.

As for bling, heck even the full Ironman races just give you pretty basic bling.

Make sure you post on the triathlon thread. It is not too active right now but will be as season picks up.

enjoy,
Duane

i'm a wanna-be triathlete myself, but i would do something local for your first time. it is a humgo pain to ship your bike and do you really want to go through all of that for just for a sprint? (which i'm assuming would be your first)

the danskin series is supposed to be great. i personally love the idea of doing a female-only tri for my first. the idea of these big aggressive men starting the open water swim at the same time as lil ole' me scares the living daylights out of me :lmao:

if you go local - just make sure the race has a medal! like 5ks, there are def some shorter tris that don't have medals at all. and for your first, you gotta get the bling!

I agree with PP who mentioned staying local for your first tri. I'd also aim for a sprint at first so you get the experience of the race. Much like running training only gets you so far and you need that first race experience to really get how the events work.

One of my goals this year is a sprint Tri. I am going to look for something around home for my first event. I want to do a tri with an open water swim (not a pool swim) but also want to avoid a large body of water like Lake Erie. Swimming is definitely my weak point and I think this is the best option for minimizing the effect of currents on my swim and still getting a proper triathlon experience.

For my first longer tri I'd look for a destination race or something higher profile but for my first sprint that isn't important to me. I look at it like I did running. For my first 5Ks and 10Ks I looked for local races so I could get into the racing scene and when I decided to up the mileage for the half and full I looked for destination races. Substitute sprint and Olympic for 5Ks and 10Ks and half Ironman for half marathon (my eventual goal distance with a tri) and I think I have a winning plan which is what I would recommend to others.

I agree with sticking local for first triathlons. Too much logistics to think about.

For Atlanta area sprint triathlons. I'm assuming you want the shortest distance.

1. Irongirl at lake Lanier in May. Sells out VERY fast. Cool medal for this girls only event.

2. Callaway gardens in June. I did this as my first sprint last year and is perfect for a first-timer. When the water in the lake is right, you can stand up if need to take a break. Run is only 2k. And although bike is 10k, measured only 8.5

3. Peachtree city tri. I forget when but very well organized and great for a first timer.

4. Acworth women's sprint tri. Another great fun girls only event.

If you want a longer olympic distance, the Chattanooga one is good.

Thanks s_atl for the list! I think I will do the Acworth Sprint Tri (not sure if it has a medal) - it is the day after my birthday, I actually live in the area so it won't be far at all to travel, it is actually within walking distance :thumbsup2 and that may add some motivation. I am still nervous about the swim - 400 yards doesn't seem bad, but when you factor in aggressive swimming I am not thrilled. Granted Lake Acworth will be warmer and it will probably be nice to take a dip in the lake since August isn't exactly cool weather! I just need to get my swim under 30 minutes according to the rules on the site. I will do what I have to do to complete my side of the bargain to get one of my guy friends to run the Princess Half with me in 2012 in a tutu. :laughing:

I am with you Frank on the large body of water swims. I couldn't imagine swimming in any of the Great Lakes as it is, but I am sure you will find a great tri to start out with and reach your goal.

It is so encouraging that so many others are considering a tri as one of their goals too! Even more inspiring to hear that so many others already love them! :goodvibes

This is what my friend who is a TRI veteran and used to train people for them...

Have her check out Iron girl - this May - all women super cool - it may already be sold out - or the Acworth women's - a first for many.

Puppenstein,

I too was looking at maybe a Tri. I love running but I hate biking and am not a good swimmer. Am up for a new challenge though. In looking I found a a My First Triathalon at Lake Lanier. It is only for first timers and it is a small one, .25 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. It is Jun 4 and 5.

Puppenstein,

I too was looking at maybe a Tri. I love running but I hate biking and am not a good swimmer. Am up for a new challenge though. In looking I found a a My First Triathalon at Lake Lanier. It is only for first timers and it is a small one, .25 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. It is Jun 4 and 5.

I know it is a beginner tri, but 2 days to cover .25 swim, 12 mi bike and 5k. How slow do they think the newbies will be?

Just kidding of course. Good luck and don't forget, we warned you, it is addictive!

enjoy,
Duane

I know it is a beginner tri, but 2 days to cover .25 swim, 12 mi bike and 5k. How slow do they think the newbies will be?

Just kidding of course. Good luck and don't forget, we warned you, it is addictive!

enjoy,
Duane

That may be true but I am no less terrified of completing the first triathalon than I was completing my first half marathon! :scared1: I really need to stop looking at triathalon stories online...the stories about the swimming part are freaking me out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter