Any recommendations for medical/medical evacuation insurance?

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
I mean stand alone--NOT part of a totally comprehensive policy.

I did scan Insuremytrip but there were a lot of plans.

And any suggested amount--the price seems to vary by how much coverage I require--and that I am not sure!!

Just out of curiosity does your regular medical insurance not cover it? I work at a health insurer and we regularly deal with our members who had something happen while on vacation. Everything from medical transport to paying hospital bills.

I will say, my mom learned a valuable lesson a few years ago on this - dislocated her knee while on a cruise. Can't remember what island. They paid the bill and were later reimbursed by the health insurer, but they hadn't called the credit card company in advance to tell them they were traveling and it kept rejecting the charge. We now always know to call :)

I'm sure medicare won't cover anything--and I doubt Blue Cross would have anything to do with a medical evacuation off the ship and to a hospital in a foreign country.

I wasn't talking about getting any medical attention ON the ship--just the medical situation if by some slim chance we had to be evacuated off the ship.

Can't give you any specific recommendations (sorry!) but I have used InsureMyTrip and if I have ever had any questions, I have called them and they have been very helpful. Give them a quick call. 800-487-4722

Just out of curiosity does your regular medical insurance not cover it? I work at a health insurer and we regularly deal with our members who had something happen while on vacation. Everything from medical transport to paying hospital bills.

I will say, my mom learned a valuable lesson a few years ago on this - dislocated her knee while on a cruise. Can't remember what island. They paid the bill and were later reimbursed by the health insurer, but they hadn't called the credit card company in advance to tell them they were traveling and it kept rejecting the charge. We now always know to call :)

Most US heath plans do not cover out of country. And that's where you are once you board the ship. But it's worth it to check and see if someone's individual coverage will cover, as there are a few that do.

I'm sure medicare won't cover anything--and I doubt Blue Cross would have anything to do with a medical evacuation off the ship and to a hospital in a foreign country.

I wasn't talking about getting any medical attention ON the ship--just the medical situation if by some slim chance we had to be evacuated off the ship.

You're correct - Medicare doesn't cover anything out of country. Now, if you were on an Alaskan cruise, and you needed medical care on land in one of the US ports that would be covered, but anything done on the ship would not be.

Medicare doesn't but here are supplemental policies that will cover up to 80%. We got the AARP/UHC plan F for MIL because it has no hospital exclusions, and it also covers out of country. I have a feeling it would be a reimbursement situation of course.

Not saying it's all you would need. Just giving a bit of extra info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter