• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any recent stays at Downtown Disney Doubletree Suites?

DeniseinMich

Earning My Ears
I wondered how the buses ran, and if it might be useful to just drive to the resorts and skip the free bus ride in July. I wondered if we might request a certain area of the hotel too, which might be better or more accomodating. The recent reviews since the remodel, seem pretty nice.

We stayed there Christmas week through New Year's. It was a very nice hotel. Clean. Quiet. Plenty of room for our family of 4.

We did not use the hotel transportation - I prefer a car for the flexibility. We enjoyed the hotel. If you choose to stay off site, I don't think you will be disappointed in the hotel...

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it was positive! I'll have a rental car too, and I am considering just driving to the parks too. Maybe taking the buses back to the hotel for a midday break, so the car is there to drive home when the crowds are piling out of the park. :wave:

We are staying here in two weeks when we go for the first time and I am planning on just driving to the parks. I feel it will save us a lot of time over all, plus we plan on coming back to the hotel for a break in the middle of the day! :)

The hotel does look nice now that it has been remodeled.

Hello DeniseinMich!

We stayed at the Doubletree Suites DTD last week 6/7-6/12. We LOVED it!!! The rooms are big, open, new furnishings. Big dressing area next to the bathroom is nice so you can get ready while someone else showers. As for the bus, we always say we are going to take the bus but we never do! It is just so much easier to drive....we are always exhausted at the end of the day and waiting for a bus is the last thing we want to do!!! We were on the 7th floor and had a view of the pool. (Read my trip report on the Trip Report page for more details!)
We have decided we just have to have some kind of a suite type room when we travel with our kids- two rooms and two TVs are a must! :happytv:

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Andrea_loves_Disney said:
Hello DeniseinMich!

We stayed at the Doubletree Suites DTD last week 6/7-6/12. We LOVED it!!! (Read my trip report on the Trip Report page for more details!)
We have decided we just have to have some kind of a suite type room when we travel with our kids- two rooms and two TVs are a must!
Thanks for your report - sounds like you had a great time. I'm encouraged to hear that you liked Doubletree Suites we are going in August & staying there for the first time.

We are going in 3 days! (yikes, I'm not ready!) I've been nervous about staying off site but I've heard good things about this place. I'll give a report when we get back. We'll be staying 5 nights and there are 5 of us.

We stayed at the Double Tree (DTD) in May of 2005. We were very pleased with everything except the dining facility. The food was good but wasn't a nice dinner menu (if one at all) and the breakfast menu was pricy (although the food was tasteful!). We also thought the dining hall could have used some cleaning and sprucing up. We are the type who like to eat a big breakfast and THEN hit the parks wide open when we walk in.
As far as the travel facility...we did use their busses. It had its pros and cons. Some days were better than others. There was one evening where we stayed at the park until close but ended up waiting on the hotel bus for like 2 hours...that was a bummer but thankfully we did not have children. If you have young children I would say use your own transportation for reliability. Thankfully we were old enough and though very tired, we just rested on the ground while we waited for the bus and discussed what we wanted to do for the next day. One more thing I would like to add on the bus situation....we heard and saw MANY complaints with those with disabilities. If you have someone in your group with a disability than I would not suggest using the bus system. There was one couple with a small girl in our group who waited that 2 hours just to find out that our bus that finally arrived had a broken chair lift. They were left behind in the dark to wait for a bus with a working chair lift.

We stayed last September and have booked a room for this September as well. :thumbsup2 I love the space and the price is great! The location is very convenient and the decor is cheery. The beds are wonderful and I really like the vanity area near the bathroom to spread out our stuff. The little fridge and sink is very convenient. I have not used their transportation to the parks though. I prefer to rent a car.

Like other people mentioned, I wouldn't suggest eating at their restaurant even if they give you free tickets for the breakfast. But don't pass up the cookies! They are so good. Also if you have kids they have a "kids check in." Kinda cheesy but they give out a little welcome gift. I think ours was a beach ball and some coloring pages.

I have never stayed at the same resort twice in Disney so this will be a first!

Have fun!

100AcreWood said:
We stayed last September and have booked a room for this September as well. :thumbsup2 I love the space and the price is great! The location is very convenient and the decor is cheery. The beds are wonderful and I really like the vanity area near the bathroom to spread out our stuff. The little fridge and sink is very convenient. I have not used their transportation to the parks though. I prefer to rent a car.

Like other people mentioned, I wouldn't suggest eating at their restaurant even if they give you free tickets for the breakfast. But don't pass up the cookies! They are so good. Also if you have kids they have a "kids check in." Kinda cheesy but they give out a little welcome gift. I think ours was a beach ball and some coloring pages.

I have never stayed at the same resort twice in Disney so this will be a first!

Have fun!

What problems did you have with the breakfast? We are staying here is August with the mousesavers free breakfast deal & I had heard positive reviews regarding the breakfast. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, can you describe what was offered when you were there?

We stayed there in May 2004 and are stayin there again this July. We never repeat our stays if we do not like the hotel. Ther are the 3 of us,myself DH and DS7, the extra space is a blessing.
Can't speak of recently, but I remember the breakfast buffet as being pretty good with a lot of different selections. Haven't eaten dinner there, but enjoyed the breakfast. Is there no longer a buffet option? Just curious. :listen:

mom2isaac&ella said:
What problems did you have with the breakfast? We are staying here is August with the mousesavers free breakfast deal & I had heard positive reviews regarding the breakfast. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, can you describe what was offered when you were there?

Mostly we had bad service. The waiter was rude when I showed him the free breakfast tickets. We went two mornings and finally gave up. What was on the actual buffet was okay. The normal stuff - bagels, biscuits, cereal, danishes, etc. I think we'll give it another shot though. My biggest problem is they didn't let me grab the food to go. Maybe I'll address that when I check in. It would be better for my family for one of us to walk down and grab some food and bring it back to enjoy in our room as a family than to sit in their dining room. Just my opnion though :p

DH & I did DT September 2005 and will be back Sept. 24 - Oct.1 this year. We had the Mousesaver newsletter discount with free breakfast and got the same deal again this time ( price went up $6, but still a good deal) We had no problems with our free breakfast coupons. Everyone was very nice in the restaurant when we were there. Maybe the waiters needed some pixie dust to lift their mood. We had enough for breakfast to hold us off for a late lunch at a TS restaurant.
The rooms are very spacious and it was nice watching TV in the evening sitting on a sofa instead of a bed.
The only problem that we had when we were there is that they were doing remodeling and the fumes from the glues they were using were obnoxious when we left for the parks, but didn't get into our room. They couldn't have been too bad though, because the birds by the elevator were fine. :rotfl2:
Hopefully they are done with most of the remodeling by Sept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter