Any recent experience with Arizona/Utah trip?

EllinK

DIS Veteran
This is one of the trips I have been interested in for years. There aren't a lot of recent trip reports so I'm hoping that people who have been on it in the last year or two will post about their experience.

I'm especially interested in how much time spent on the bus.
And if people are noticing the "cut backs" that are being reported on other ABD trips.

Thanks!

We went on this trip 2 years ago and loved it (but we have loved all our trips). Enchanted in Sedona is a fairly new resort for ABD and it is fantastic. First class with amazing food and beautiful casita-type rooms. There is a lot of bus riding on the trip but I did not find it to be a problem (it actually bothered me more in Ireland). The scenery was amazing and the travel was mostly in between destinations so after the long bus ride, you would stay put for a few days. I would not let the travel keep you from going.

As for the downgrades in quality on ABD, it seems to be the focus of most of the conversations on these boards lately. I find these boards to be INVALUABLE and all the issues that have been reported seem more than valid to me. However, I personally have not experienced downgrades in quality on any of my recent ABDs. I may just be a Pollyanna or may just be so happy not to be doing the planning that I don't notice things but I think you can feel confident that you will have a great trip with ABD.

We will be doing this trip this year (if it doesn't get canceled). We are really looking forward to it. We have some pre-ABD days planned for a side trip to Tombstone. I'm not a trip-report person, but I can share our experiences when we return.

There haven't been a lot of changes to this itinerary over the years. Mostly the hotels used, and the order of things at the Grand Canyon due to staying on the Rim vs in Tusayana. But I think those few changes have been an improvement as far as I can see. I really believe that this trip remains one of ABD's best itineraries. I think the fact that it's in the US, and not susceptible to the kinds of logistics required for Europe, etc, has allowed ABD to retain more control over what goes on here. I'm a bit prejudiced (it was my first ABD, and remains one of my favorites) but I think you're going to love it. I wouldn't worry about it. As acndis said, the bus travel is spread out (days between it) and usually broken up (by the tour of Montezuma's Castle, the tour of Monument Valley, etc) and the scenery is spectacular.

Sayhello

Thanks for the info!
I've also checked out other tour companies but can't find any others that stay at the south rim. Would love to hear more from people who have done ABD or alternatives...

I have done this trip about 4 years ago. If you want to ask questions I would be happy to answer.

I am very curious about the accommodations at Grand Canyon National Park lodging portion of the trip? What was your room like? resort?

I am very curious about the accommodations at Grand Canyon National Park lodging portion of the trip? What was your room like? resort?
Generally, they stay at the Thunderbird Lodge. I haven't stayed there (my trip was back when they stayed in Tusayan, outside of the park) but I *do* know it's not a resort. It's a pretty basic, bare-bones place, but it is *literally* right on the Rim of the Grand Canyon! So what it lacks in amenities, it totally makes up for in location!

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/thunderbird-lodge/

11458_19770_Thunderbird_Lodge_Grand_Canyon_md.jpg

Sayhello

Last edited:
Generally, they stay at the Thunderbird Lodge. I haven't stayed there (my trip was back when they stayed in Tusayana, outside of the park) but I *do* know it's not a resort. It's a pretty basic, bare-bones place, but it is *literally* right on the Rim of the Grand Canyon! So what it lacks in amenities, it totally makes up for in location!

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/thunderbird-lodge/

11458_19770_Thunderbird_Lodge_Grand_Canyon_md.jpg

Sayhello

Thank you that was what I wanted to know.

We stayed in he Thunderbird. It is like a Motel 6 to me. Our room was clean but well used. The AC was fantastic for the temps were 120+ when we were there. BUT you open the curtains and the Grand Canyon is right there. Can't get any closer. We only slept in our room so that did not matter. There was a nice ice cream shop next door. You should make your reservations in the El Tovar restaurant for dinner before you go. It gets quite crowded and there are fewer reservations available. In this months Conde Nast magazine the Enchantment resorts was named one of it's favorite resorts. It is quite nice.

Agree totally with Carpenta. It's about the views not the room. We also made an advance reservation at El Tovar. Very fun and nice. You also get to have breakfast there every morning. It's a beautiful, historic dining room.

Has anyone ever gone in July?? That is the only month we can go but I am concerned about the heat.

We went in June BUT it was record heat 120+++++. They closed the trails that go down to the bottom of the canyon. It was HOT yet we found it did not have much effect on our enjoyment. Just drink plenty of water which they supplied in spades. It actually was great to jump into the Colorado river on our raft trip as well as enjoying the pool in Red Rocks, IMO I don't think the temps are as oppressive because there is no humidity and all the rooms have super cold A.C. for a good night sleep. I would definitely do this trip again even if I knew ahead of time the temps would skyrocket above 120 degrees.

Has anyone ever gone in July?? That is the only month we can go but I am concerned about the heat.
We went July 4th weekend and it was very hot. We are from Austin, TX, though and we are used the temperatures. My dad (in his 70s was with us) and he did fine (so did my then 6-year-old). We were prepared for the heat, drank water constantly, and the itinerary allowed for breaks from the heat. It is hot but if you prepare I don't think it will bother you too much!

We have done 5 Disney cruises but ABD will really be a big step for us, price wise. How did you talk yourself into it? (And I mean this as someone who really, really wants to...)

EllinK,

For our first trip (Greece), my husband had just gotten back from Deployment, we had a big chunk of money and were feeling very Carpe Diem! We decided to splurge. As it ends up, we found ABD prices close to the vacations we usually take when all is said and done (it's still more expensive by a bit but not as much as I thought).

ABD is a big expenditure out of pocket but we end up spending very little money on the trip (in Greece, we spent like $500!). We are not big shoppers but so much is taken care of, we end up not spending too much.

When we cruise, we go nuts! After the spa, the cabana, and souvenirs, we are in the same ABD ball park. Because I am insane planner (financial and scheduling), I think that ABD gets expenses out of the way and we can just enjoy the vacation without me mentally tabulating every expense and updating my spreadsheet on the cruise ship!

Again, we don't do many pre-days and we are banning post-days (we miss the group and are usually ready to get home) so we don't incur too many expenses there and on the trip, I found that the plans I made for on your own time (Theatre in London (eveyone fell asleep, except me!), Dining Reservations--we are huge foodies) often did not work for us because we were tired from the group activities or found we just wanted to chill out at the Hotel Bar or just relax in the room. That helps control expenses, too.

The Arizona/Utah trip is wonderful! We had a wonderful group on that trip and two great guides (Hanneke and Kim). I would encourage you just to make the leap!

Acndis,
I echo Carpenta's comments -- please thank your husband for his service and your family for sacrificing while he was gone. I'm glad you took a chunk of money and had fun! We also prefer spending on experiences and not stuff. I really want to take this trip...

We went July 4th weekend and it was very hot. We are from Austin, TX, though and we are used the temperatures. My dad (in his 70s was with us) and he did fine (so did my then 6-year-old). We were prepared for the heat, drank water constantly, and the itinerary allowed for breaks from the heat. It is hot but if you prepare I don't think it will bother you too much!
Thank you. We have been WDW in July so I would assume that is worse with humidity. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter