Any reason to ride AstroOrbiter, Dumbo, etc?

tentaguasu

Mouseketeer
Some book, I'm not sure which, advised to not waste time with certain rides including Astro Orbiter, Aladdin, etc. under the theory that they are basically just carnival rides.

So, even after visiting Disney several times, I've never been on them.

Are these rides I really should do? Are there big fans out there?

We do Dumbo every time just because our kids love the thing. DH and I rode AstroOrbiter once. I will NEVER ride it again. It's like Dumbo only really fast and on top of a building. I nearly had a heart attack. DH liked it, but it loads really slowly and just is not one of our "must do" attractions. Like the pp said, you get to see lots. I just didn't want to!

Astro Orbiter and Dumbo both provide excellent views.

Astro Orbiter at night was very cool, though I didn't actually like the ride (made me a little dizzy). Aside from the views, I wouldn't bother except to take the kids.

We caught Dumbo this year right while the fireworks were popping overhead...pretty cool...

They are carnival rides in priciple but really a step above...the theming and magic of each one far exceeds any carnival ride....if you have kids you absolutley have to ride dumbo....its the quintessential Disney ride...if you are older and its your first trip I would try and ride each one...if you have been a few times, like us, we only ride if there is no line...which is rare for Dumbo. ALso Astro Orbiter is perhaps the slowest loading ride at Disney...

No carnival ride does what these rides do and I would throw that book away...Astro-Orbiter for example..You take an elevator up a couple stories and and ride on rocket looking ships that you can control going up and down...they go pretty fast too and you are high up and its a great view....

Some book, I'm not sure which, advised to not waste time with certain rides including Astro Orbiter, Aladdin, etc. under the theory that they are basically just carnival rides.

We don't bother with any of the ones you mentioned but then we don't have kids. I agree with what you read, not worth the wait and in my book, just boring rides. But, some kids are obviously hooked on them. Do you have kids?

We never did them before we had kids, but I dolike the view that the AO gives, and the nostalgic memories of Dumbo with my parents when I was a child come back now that I am taking my own kids on it. Lucky that makes up for the horrendous wait for the ride :rotfl::rotfl:

If I had kids with me I would do them. But I'm not one to
A-wait in line for 30+ minutes
B-rush to Fantasyland at opening to beat a bunch of kids to the line

If I were there and there was a very short line (5 min) and I noticed the short line I would jump on.

I would never miss them! They may not be "high energy" rides however they are fun none the less. Let your inner child have some fun and just enjoy them for what they are!!!

I do Dumbo and Aladdin for my dd7. We never did AStro Orbiter until this past Nov (and I've been over a dozen times now) - when we rode it during MVMCP. I loved it! It was dark and you could see the lights all over the park and you're really high up and whizzing by the planets....awesome! I still wouldn't wait 40 minutes for it, but if I saw a short line, I'd definitely hop on.

We don't ride Dumbo every time anymore, the waits are awful. However, if we do happen to head to FL at rope drop we will go straight to it. It will always have a special place in our hearts and was my DHs special ride with the kids when they were little, so nostalgic.
The Astro Orbitor is still a favorite now my kids are a little older - perhaps because its a faster more daring version of Dumbo and SO HIGH UP, and I get some great pictures up there!

It's like what they say about real estate.......... location, location, location!

They might be carnival rides, but they are carnival rides INSIDE Disney. For me Dumbo has always been about it being right in the heart of Fantasyland nestled behind the castle.

Will it be the same once it's moved farther over into what is now Toontown? For me, probably not. It remains to be seen.

But yes, during Wishes is....... awesome!

dumbofireworksresize.jpg

My friend and I first went on AO this last visit. The parks were pretty empty because it was so cold, so we decided to do a few things we had not done before and had a really good time! AO is easily my new favorite ride - its so high up and goes faster than Dumbo. If you're up higher, the ride is much better. I loved the view - especially on Christmas Party night.

In all honesty, most Disney rides are themed versions of carnival rides. So what if SM is in the dark? Its still just a coaster. :rolleyes:

Only reason you should use a book's opinion on a ride is if *you* have an aversion to something like heights, claustrophobia, etc. All the rides at Disney are worth experiencing at least once to form your own opinion. There's also no reason to feel like you need to do absolutely everything in one trip. :)

(We also did the teacups that trip and spun so fast we both had trouble walking when we got off the ride - it was great! I'm an adult, my friend is an adult - and we had a ton of fun.)

The last time we were there I decided that even though my child wasn't little any more I was going to indulge the inner child within me so I rode Dumbo and Alladdin, the line was too long for the Astro Orbiter, and absolutely loved it. Besides, I do like watching other little ones enjoying themselves.

Around 1990 or so I decided not to waste too much time in Walt Disney World as a whole because I thought of it as just one big carnival. So I missed such gems as Horizons (at Epcot).

This last time (Dec. 2010) I included both Dumbo and Astro Orbiter.

You will experience less of a tendency to fall out of Astro Orbiter if make the rocket rise all the way.

I have motion sickness issues and Astro Orbiter about does me in. My ds9 is afraid of heights and has no desire and dd7 hasn't forced me to ride with her yet - I think she accepts that I just can't do it.

I can handle one trip on Dumbo or Alladin (or the carousel, but not teacups) and we have always ridden them atleast once each trip. However my dd26 took dd7 to Disney alone in December and said that dd7 refused to ride Dumbo because it's a baby ride - sad day for dd26 because she's always loved it - since her first trip when she was 10.

I say yes to Dumbo, but no to the other two. Dumbo is a classic Disney attraction. It is a very simple ride, but that's what makes it so great and must-do. Astro Orbiter, though I'm guessing it is a great view, the ride is quick (like less than a minute) and they make too big of a deal about it. Aladdin is basically the same thing as Dumbo except you can tip your carpet forward and back. Now, if Dumbo is a huge line, but you really are in the mood to go on a nice little relaxing ride, then this would be second choice. So Dumbo is a definite must-do

They are carnival rides in priciple but really a step above...the theming and magic of each one far exceeds any carnival ride

I completely agree - all three are must-dos on our trip, although they are much easier to queue for of an evening.

Dumbo is a classic and at the moment you can play the great game "What are they building?" as you go round. Astro Orbiter provides great views especially at night and Aladdin is fun trying to dodge that spitting camel. :wizard:

They might just be "carnival rides" but they are a lot of fun. My family would not make a trip to MK without riding these!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter