Any plans to renovate OKW bathrooms?

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
I love, love, love OKW, but the bathrooms are in desperate need of updates, and in some cases, repairs.

We just returned from a 5-day stay in a one bedroom at OKW. Loved the room, location, etc. But the bathroom was another story. There were dust cobwebs under the bathroom cabinets (we called them "Halloween decorations"), and a hole in the tile under the shower entrance. And a big, white, splash of something on the outside of the cabinets. Maybe something from a previous guest? Who knows, but compared to pics I see of other resorts' bathrooms......DVC really needs to start working on rehabbing them.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything. Thanks!

Probably not. They did semi-full renovations about three years ago and did not have enough to do anything to the bathroom except paint the walls. They spent fall too much painting the dining room table and coffee table.

Yeah I have to say i agree the OKw bathrooms out us off staying there.

I think they will be pretty far down the line for a refurb.

I had read somewhere AKV was next after BC

My only request for the OKW bathroom is that they raise the toilet paper dispenser about 2 feet higher instead of right at my knees. And get a taller toilet. Otherwise, I'm fine with it.

I love, love, love OKW, but the bathrooms are in desperate need of updates, and in some cases, repairs.

We just returned from a 5-day stay in a one bedroom at OKW. Loved the room, location, etc. But the bathroom was another story. There were dust cobwebs under the bathroom cabinets (we called them "Halloween decorations"), and a hole in the tile under the shower entrance. And a big, white, splash of something on the outside of the cabinets. Maybe something from a previous guest? Who knows, but compared to pics I see of other resorts' bathrooms......DVC really needs to start working on rehabbing them.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything. Thanks!

That sounds mostly like cleaning issues, doesn't it? I understand though that the look with the terra cotta colored tiles and especially the wide grout is a dated look plus it takes time to upkeep those grout lines which in our stays at OKW I have felt that they do not do very well. I was surprised when DVC stated they were doing a 90% renovation and the tile was what they skipped.

Probably not. They did semi-full renovations about three years ago and did not have enough to do anything to the bathroom except paint the walls. They spent fall too much painting the dining room table and coffee table.

100% agree. The painting of the tables was completely unnecessary. The coffee tables just look bad.

I agree with Kat4Disney that it sounds like most of your issues were housekeeping related. Did you give them a call while there to get that all TCO? I surely would have.

And as for those tiles, count me in the minority. Those are handmade tiles in the bathrooms that have been there since Day 1. Personally, I love them and think the granite countertops they put in the kitchens clash with them. I agree with making the countertops in the kitchen some sort of smooth stone surface but just think the granite is ugly….

I agree with Kat4Disney that it sounds like most of your issues were housekeeping related. Did you give them a call while there to get that all TCO? I surely would have.

And as for those tiles, count me in the minority. Those are handmade tiles in the bathrooms that have been there since Day 1. Personally, I love them and think the granite countertops they put in the kitchens clash with them. I agree with making the countertops in the kitchen some sort of smooth stone surface but just think the granite is ugly….

I didn't call housekeeping. I just wiped the cobwebs and splashes up myself. But the hole in the tile (maybe I should have said it was a large chip?) should really be fixed. It's not the first time I've seen those tiles deeply chipped or cracked.

I do agree that the countertops don't match the tile.

I didn't call housekeeping. I just wiped the cobwebs and splashes up myself. But the hole in the tile (maybe I should have said it was a large chip?) should really be fixed. It's not the first time I've seen those tiles deeply chipped or cracked.

I do agree that the countertops don't match the tile.
I think some of the designers they use have all their taste in their mouths. And they are so good trying to change the theming.

LOL, Deb&Bill I heard sarcasm on the "so good trying to change the theming". :teeth: Am I correct? I really hate those weird laminate meets odd parquet floors they have put in the GV's at OKW. They just don't "go" with the OKW theming, IMHO….

LOL, Deb&Bill I heard sarcasm on the "so good trying to change the theming". :teeth: Am I correct? I really hate those weird laminate meets odd parquet floors they have put in the GV's at OKW. They just don't "go" with the OKW theming, IMHO….
When we first saw the renovation at OKW, we called it Old Beach Club.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! And I must concur, Deb&Bill! I mean, OKW is old KEY WEST theming for pete's sake. If one goes to Key West, I don't think you would see that really bizarre laminate parquet stuff on any of those floors. Those are pitifully ugly. Personally I loved the original theming. Granted it needed and needs ongoing "refreshing" with some things updated, but the theme should remain IMO….. there most assuredly is some incongruence in the updates. What WERE the "designers" thinking…….

I recall the high window must be a challenge for housekeeping. We had cobwebs there. Rest of the bathroom was clean, but very worn, including faucets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter