Any places that hire 15 year olds?

mominwestlake

DIS Veteran
My dd is 15 and really wants to get a job. She does do some babysitting but has a hard time getting the hours/ and or pay that she'd like. There are a lot of kids who babysit in our neighborhood. Does anyone know of any stores that hire 15 year olds? In my day, you could get a work permit if under 16. Is that still done? Any ideas?

depends on the area.

Here it is difficult for even 16year olds to get jobs because there are local restrictions on the work they can do. These are the DOL rules. Your state might have additional restrictions.

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the minimum age for employment in non-agricultural employment is 14. Hours worked by 14- and 15-year-olds are limited to:

* Non-school hours;
* 3 hours in a school day;
* 18 hours in a school week;
* 8 hours on a non-school day;
* 40 hours on a non-school week; and
* hours between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. (except from June 1 through Labor Day, when evening hours are extended to 9 p.m.)

Can she pet sit, dog walk or clean houses? I did all of those as a teenage girl plus babysat. I made alot of money, but I took the jobs very seriously, was reliable, and treated the pets as if they were children:) I also put myself thru college cleaning houses in DC and once again, did very well. I would call around to some of the cleaning services, not the chains, independent and find out what they charge per hour, then go 10-15% less so she can get some work, and build up a small clientele. I would also do the same for petsitting and dog walking. She can always increase her prices as her clients build. If she is good and reliable, word of mouth will be very beneficial. Good luck, these types of jobs sure beat the crappy joe job of working at McDonalds.

In our area places that hire 15 yo are Dunkin Donuts, bagel stores and bakeries, party places (where little ones have their parties) and our after school creative arts programs. I would be leary of having my 15 yo clean someone's house....to much liability if something goes wrong (jmho)

If she really wants to babysit, she should take the American Red Cross class for babysitting. She will learn how to be responsible, CPR & first aid, what to do in an emergency and how to get a fair price for her services. It is a wonderful class, some also teach pet first aid, which also would be beneficial. It shows commitment to the cause and she can use it in her advertising. I would hire a trained babysitter/petsitter any day before some kid from down the street. Once she does this, the cost is nominal 20 bucks or so, she can then advertise however would be appropriate for you area. I am an ex Red Cross Social Worker and the benefits of their health and safety program can not be beat! IF she is interested just call your local chapter or go to
www.redcross.org and put in your zipcode, it will pull up your local chapter.

Our local grocery store hires at 15. They do have to get work papers signed by the guidance counselor at school and parents and they (the store) have strict guidelines about when they can work (ie weekends only and no more than 5 hours per day, no earlier than 8 am and no later than 5 pm).

In our area places that hire 15 yo are Dunkin Donuts, bagel stores and bakeries, party places (where little ones have their parties) and our after school creative arts programs. I would be leary of having my 15 yo clean someone's house....to much liability if something goes wrong (jmho)

That is a good point but these types of things can be worked out between the home owner and the cleaner. Believe it or not! most people clean or straighten up their houses before the cleaning person gets there!

If she really wants to babysit, she should take the American Red Cross class for babysitting. She will learn how to be responsible, CPR & first aid, what to do in an emergency and how to get a fair price for her services. It is a wonderful class.

I echo this. DD will be working at a local day camp this summer and will be paid more than the others her age because of her certifications.:thumbsup2

McDonald's hires at 15. The local bagel stores and bakeries also hire at 15.
It is slim pickings at that age.

In my state they can work with a special permit at 15. They get the permit from their school after they have secured a job. Around here they worked at the pool, bookstores, clothing shops, architect's offices, universities. Really most any thing.

Two of our DS's started at Chik Fil A when they were 15. They are wonderful about working with their school sport schedules. When they are 15, they only work about 3 days a week 4-7. A great way to earn spending money and learn responsibility. I also love that they are closed on Sundays, so we have family time.

My DD was able to work at Build a Bear Workshop when she was 15, but I don't remember if we had to get any special permits or anything. She was homeschooled at the time, so available a lot more than other kids were. The only problem was that I had to drive her to work until she got her license. She paid for the gas and a little extra for wear & tear. I will say it was a wonderful life lesson for her as she now has an excellent work ethic and when she did her WDW College Program, they were begging her to stay on.

When I was 15, which was 17 years ago now :rolleyes1, I worked at Baskin-Robbins! It was so much fun and we got to get ice cream every day!!

I got hired at Walgreens when I was 15 years old. I remember I could only work a few hours a day though during the week.

my dd was hired for her first job at the age of 15 she is now 17 and still working at the ymca in the babysitting room..... she works tues. wed. and thurs. 3 hours each day..... she loves it..... vicki

In NW Ohio MCD's will hire at 14 if grades are good, there is alos the local ice cream stands that hire at 14, as well as the consession stand at the city poot and the ticket house at pool and being a slide girl at the pool, all at 14. My DD 13 can't wait to get a job at one of these places, sad thing she doesn't turn 14 until Aug so summer is about over. Oh well.:confused3

A lot of places around here will not hire kids younger than 16, mcdonalds you must be 16....the age you must be to work grills, fryers, slicers....I know I worked at mcdonalds when I was 14 but that was 13 years ago and most places have upped their mimimum starting age.

Is she looking for now or the summer? I think places that are only open in the summer are more likely to hire younger kids. For example, I just got our newsletter from Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN and they will hire 14 year olds.

The laws vary by state, and 14 and 15 year olds are going to be limited in how many hours they can work per day and week. There will probably be extra limitations during the school year (like not being able to work after 7pm, or only 3 days a week).

one of our local grocery stores (not a large chain one) hires 15 year olds for baggers, or at least they did when I was in high school.

I second the grocery store. My DNeice just got her first job at a grocery store and she is 15. They didn't even bat an eye. Also, a lot of amusement parks hire at 15, but it's mostly spring/summer/fall work. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter