Any places that demo make-up application???

tinkx3

Earning My Ears
I don't wear make-up, when I do it's very little and I've never been any kind of expert. So, my DD wants to start wearing a little bit of make-up...she and her friend like to do their make-up for fun and I'm ok with it as long as it's just for fun and not to school. Anyway, I don't know how to teach her and if she wants to wear make-up I would much rather she learn how to do it right and to wear the right kind, shade, etc. and I would rather get her something that's going to last her awhile. BUT....I don't know where I could take her and have someone pick out what's right and teach her how to apply it. Help???

The make-up counters at your local mall will do this. Also Sephora. :)

The make-up counters at your local mall will do this. Also Sephora. :)

:thumbsup2: Yep. And check YouTube videos too - great resource for things like "smokey eye", "cats-eye liner", etc.

Yes, the make up counters in department stores do that--usually you are expected to purchase a certain amount. How old is your daughter, and what type of budget does she have for the make up?

If you have a Bare Escentuals store in your local mall, they'll gladly do a "make-under". Their mineral cosmetics are very natural looking, and easy on the skin.

I read recently on Yahoo about a young girl that has cancer, she does make up videos on youtube. Her name is Talia Joy Castellano. For only being 12 years old, she's got some really good skills.

http://www.youtube.com/user/taliajoy18

I had a friend in middle school that could NOT put on make-up properly. She always looked like she had orange skin. I saw her a few years after high school... and she still had not learned.

I took my DD to MAC and they did an amazing job of teaching her and really did a great job of not overdoing it. I was so impressed that I asked them to teach me. I hadn't really worn much make up because I didn't know how to do it and what things to use. I had been to several make up counters over the years to try to learn but always left looking like my make up was by Ringling Brothers. :clown:

I ended up buying about $400 in products that day and haven't regretted it! I now wear make up almost all the time. While I do get some things at the drugstore now (mascara and eyeliner) I go back there for all the major stuff.

Thank you for the suggestions, I wasn't sure if make-up counters did that anymore. She is almost 12 and in 6th grade...I know she's a little young but I would rather her learn the right make-up to wear and how to apply it, now, than have her learn bad habits and look goofy with her make-up when she's older, Does that make sense??? Also, I may just have to get a little make-over as well, a mother-daughter outting would be fun, hair, nails, make-up and lunch:cutie:
I told her that I would allow her to have blush, eye shadow, lip gloss and some shimmer powder, no foundation or cover up, eye liner, mascara or lip stick. I am hoping not to spend too much, she is responsible for paying half of whatever it costs, and my limit is no more than $25. She is pretty stingy with her money so I assume she won't want to spend a whole lot of hers either lol, so I'm looking at no more than $50 in product. Does that sound resonable?

We have a Sephora in the mall, that's the only make-up store I can think of off hand, we don't get to the mall too often ;) anyone know where I might be able to find a coupon???

Male here -- just for full disclosure.

A few of the cosmetics counters around here will also do an application demo for their products, but only after you've bought them. From about half of them, women/girls tend to walk away looking like they're wearing stage makeup.

Thank you for the suggestions, I wasn't sure if make-up counters did that anymore. She is almost 12 and in 6th grade...I know she's a little young but I would rather her learn the right make-up to wear and how to apply it, now, than have her learn bad habits and look goofy with her make-up when she's older, Does that make sense??? Also, I may just have to get a little make-over as well, a mother-daughter outting would be fun, hair, nails, make-up and lunch:cutie:
I told her that I would allow her to have blush, eye shadow, lip gloss and some shimmer powder, no foundation or cover up, eye liner, mascara or lip stick. I am hoping not to spend too much, she is responsible for paying half of whatever it costs, and my limit is no more than $25. She is pretty stingy with her money so I assume she won't want to spend a whole lot of hers either lol, so I'm looking at no more than $50 in product. Does that sound resonable?

We have a Sephora in the mall, that's the only make-up store I can think of off hand, we don't get to the mall too often ;) anyone know where I might be able to find a coupon???

I don't know of coupons but sign up for their VIP program (or whatever it's called.) It's free. You accumulate points, which you can trade in for products eventually, and you get nice birthday gifts. Ordering online is great from them too. Gotta run - more later!

Another vote for Bare Escentuals. The make up is very natural looking and lasts a LONG time! They will give you samples also (at least my store will). They will not charge for a makeup lesson and they are great about asking you what colors you like, etc.

They have matte, shimmers, and all the colors of the rainbow! Even the bright scary colors are so soft and natural when you put on.

I just went on Saturday for a makeover (my store had the national makeup artists there). The guy who did mine was fantastic---he put on this bright pink blush which looked so scary but looks light and natural on (now I am sure it could look bright and scary if you used a lot and didn't apply correctly).

I have used this makeup for years and wouldn't go back.....

Bobbi Brown if you have access to it where you live.

I work at a makeup counter (Clinique) and I love showing young girls how to do an age appropriate look. I would however advise against Bare Essentials. I have helped many teen girls who have used it in the past and it made a mess of their skin. If you are thinking of doing foundation, whether it be liquid or powder please make sure you get her something something to remove it. That is the biggest skin issue that most young girls have. They don't wash their makeup off and it wreaks havoc! No matter what the brand is, they must wash it off. I know Bare Essentials says that you can even sleep in it....that's the one of the worst things you can do to your skin!

Anyway I would suggest Clinique, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Benefit. And a good makeup remover!!!!

$50 is not going to go very far at department stores or sephora. I would suggest getting a makeover/lesson there, buying something there & then going to a drugstore type place to get the rest (such as a cheaper eyeshadow in the same color). As a PP said, Clinique is good for young girls and maybe you can buy a skincare product from them. also not sure why you are not allowing any coverup? that's exactly what tweens/teens need for their breakouts lol!

Clinique is wonderful! I have been using it since I was about 14 and I still do to this day (ummmm..... 16 years later!) LoL!!! :)
It's GREAT for teen skin!!!

Male here -- just for full disclosure.

A few of the cosmetics counters around here will also do an application demo for their products, but only after you've bought them. From about half of them, women/girls tend to walk away looking like they're wearing stage makeup.

Lol, thanks for the heads up!

I don't know of coupons but sign up for their VIP program (or whatever it's called.) It's free. You accumulate points, which you can trade in for products eventually, and you get nice birthday gifts. Ordering online is great from them too. Gotta run - more later!

I'll check into it, thank you!

I work at a makeup counter (Clinique) and I love showing young girls how to do an age appropriate look. I would however advise against Bare Essentials. I have helped many teen girls who have used it in the past and it made a mess of their skin. If you are thinking of doing foundation, whether it be liquid or powder please make sure you get her something something to remove it. That is the biggest skin issue that most young girls have. They don't wash their makeup off and it wreaks havoc! No matter what the brand is, they must wash it off. I know Bare Essentials says that you can even sleep in it....that's the one of the worst things you can do to your skin!

I will have to check them out. I prefer for her NOT to wear any foundation, I have never worn it and have always had such clear skin (until my 3rd trimester with my baby) and I don't want her "wreaking havoc" on HER skin so young!

Anyway I would suggest Clinique, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Benefit. And a good makeup remover!!!!

Definitely getting a good remover :thumbsup2 I'm not sure if there are any of those around, but I will check them out if they are.

$50 is not going to go very far at department stores or sephora. I would suggest getting a makeover/lesson there, buying something there & then going to a drugstore type place to get the rest (such as a cheaper eyeshadow in the same color). As a PP said, Clinique is good for young girls and maybe you can buy a skincare product from them. also not sure why you are not allowing any coverup? that's exactly what tweens/teens need for their breakouts lol!

Wow! Really?!?!?!? I thought I was being more than generous! :eek: Goes to show, I was totally honest about never wearing make-up huh :lmao: I will keep your tip about the drug store in mind thanks! Like I told another PP, she hasn't had any breakouts (yet) and I don't want to cause them this young. Plus, I want to make sure she gets into a good habit of washing her face EVERY night, nefore I allow any foundation or cover up, right now she isn't too faithful about that yet ;) once she can show me that she is responsible about it, than I will reconsider.

Clinique is wonderful! I have been using it since I was about 14 and I still do to this day (ummmm..... 16 years later!) LoL!!! :)
It's GREAT for teen skin!!!

That's good to know! Thanks

Bobbi Brown if you have access to it where you live.

I've never heard of it, so I will have to check :)

Another vote for Bare Escentuals. The make up is very natural looking and lasts a LONG time! They will give you samples also (at least my store will). They will not charge for a makeup lesson and they are great about asking you what colors you like, etc.

They have matte, shimmers, and all the colors of the rainbow! Even the bright scary colors are so soft and natural when you put on.

I just went on Saturday for a makeover (my store had the national makeup artists there). The guy who did mine was fantastic---he put on this bright pink blush which looked so scary but looks light and natural on (now I am sure it could look bright and scary if you used a lot and didn't apply correctly).

I have used this makeup for years and wouldn't go back.....

I will have to check and see if there is one nearby, I would LOVE a good free lesson!

Thanks for all of the responses, I will be checking into all of the suggestions, any more tips? Please, I am open to all tips and reccomendations!

No,$50 will not get much at all. Check out prices at the Clinque website. The most reasonable way to get a stash without spending a fortune is to wait till a store near you has bonus days-- also on the website. You buy about $30 worth of stuff and get a nice little bag of goodies free. Usually there is a full sized lipstick, some eyeshadow, a moisturizer, a small mascara,etc. In a cute little cosmetics bag

You don't get to pick colors but they tend to be neutral. It will be busy then, so it isn't the time to want a free lesson without arranging it ahead.

Sephora, Ulta........major department stores. For light Clinique may be a winner!

ULTA!! Love my local one and they definitely do that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter