Any peeps about restaurants coming back?

If it’s a staffing issue, how can Universal find employees but Disney can’t? Do they pay better or are they better to work for? Or is it just that there are fewer restaurants there? Does Disney have job postings all over for the restaurants? Or is it not actually a staffing issue?

If it’s a staffing issue, how can Universal find employees but Disney can’t? Do they pay better or are they better to work for? Or is it just that there are fewer restaurants there? Does Disney have job postings all over for the restaurants? Or is it not actually a staffing issue?
Universal has a small fraction of the number of restaurants compared to WDW. Disney has multiple job postings on their Web Site. They are in the process of hiring hundreds of new CM's, so there is hope that more Restaurants will be opened soon.

They didn't furlough employees like Disney did. So, they have plenty of people.

We were at Universal a little over a month ago and DH chatted with one of the employees standing in the walkways reminding people to mask. He started saying something like, "You seem pretty cheery, particularly considering what you are doing." She said, Yes, but they only have to do it for four hours. Universal has been allowing the employees a lot of flexibility in their hours, even day-of. So, if an employee does their four hours they can call a number a say They aren't up to working anymore, and that is fine. Or if people want to work full time hours, they can. They are also allowing long lunches.

From what I have seen, Universal seems to be putting much more of a foot forward with taking care of not only the guests but employees as well. So many of the CM's I come across in the parks on a regular basis seem to be just "going through the motions" whereas the ones at Universal seem to truly be engaged. I do think a lot of it has to do with how none of them were furloughed over the past year plus the anticipation that is being built up with the building of the new Epic Universe park.

Universal (SeaWorld too) continues to offer new annual passes whereas Disney is only allowing renewals. My fear is that WDW is going to axe the AP program much like they did for DL and the replace it with something that will be much less guest friendly.

Disney seems to be happy with following Universal' lead in reopening and my opinion is that it will only hurt them in the long run.

From what I have seen, Universal seems to be putting much more of a foot forward with taking care of not only the guests but employees as well. So many of the CM's I come across in the parks on a regular basis seem to be just "going through the motions" whereas the ones at Universal seem to truly be engaged. I do think a lot of it has to do with how none of them were furloughed over the past year plus the anticipation that is being built up with the building of the new Epic Universe park.

Universal (SeaWorld too) continues to offer new annual passes whereas Disney is only allowing renewals. My fear is that WDW is going to axe the AP program much like they did for DL and the replace it with something that will be much less guest friendly.

Disney seems to be happy with following Universal' lead in reopening and my opinion is that it will only hurt them in the long run.
That park is still years away from opening. Yes Disney furloughed a lot of cast members and Universal did not. While the closure for both was a few months, Disney seems with the new leader at the helm, Cheap-ek, to be cutting as much as he can to increase profits. His mindset appears to be people are getting too much for their ticket or AP. Universal appears to focused on the customer, sadly Disney is more interested in profits.

As a side note, I just returned from a week at WDW. There are serious shortages of CM's, which is why many restaurants have not re opened. Had reservations at 3 restaurants during the trip. What I found interesting was how much the servers were tired of their mask requirements. They have to wear a mask and a shield, and as one server told me it is like a furnace wearing both. On Friday nite tried to go off property at the last minute to find a place to eat (at around 7 pm). We went to 6 different restaurants and every one had numerous empty tables, but had wait times of over 1 hour. Every one had help wanted signs, they were all short staffed.
Enhanced unemployment benefits of $300 per week in ending June 26. That should help the labor shortage. If workers were smart they would take their applications to the upscale restaurants where diners tip well now.

I’m pretty sure Universal furloughed employees and laid many off as well. https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...re-than-1000-employees-by-the-end-of-the-year
Not to the same level as Disney. When they reopened most of their shows and restaurants reopened too. Disney kept most of the shows closed and half the restaurants for a year. Employees could wait a few months, but that long without a job and most of them probably applied in other places (maybe even Universal) or moved somewhere else.

The point is that they had no problem staffing. When we went in August, all the restaurants were open that weren't needed for employee distanced break rooms. That was August.
They’re having trouble staffing now. And I went last month and noticed several restaurants closed.

That park is still years away from opening. Yes Disney furloughed a lot of cast members and Universal did not. While the closure for both was a few months, Disney seems with the new leader at the helm, Cheap-ek, to be cutting as much as he can to increase profits. His mindset appears to be people are getting too much for their ticket or AP. Universal appears to focused on the customer, sadly Disney is more interested in profits.
If you focus on the customer the profits will come. Universal is leading the way with opening, they even have buffets open, (the horror!!).
Both so true!! Disney is floating on its reputation right now but that won't last forever. If they don't get back to guest satisfaction they may be in trouble in a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter