Any others with 5 year olds, are you using a stroller @ DL?

4bugzinarug

Mouseketeer
How old is *too* old for a stroller at Disneyland? What do other moms of 5 and 6 year olds do?

Last year @ DL, DS was newly 4 and DD was 3 weeks away from 6 years old. My son would hop in and out of the rented stroller throughout the day - walking at certain times. And, the stroller was handy when he would have an asthma attack after running around a lot!

As for DD, she would get worn out and need to sit (like the rest of us!), and would get VERY whiny towards the end of the day. For the most part, she was a real trooper without a stroller!

DS will be 5 years old for our upcoming trip. Whenever we visit the nearest mall (three hours away) we rent the little "car" stroller, which he loves. But is he too large for a stroller at DL (he is on smaller side of height/weight charts)? What do other moms with 5 year olds do? Do you think it's reasonable to expect him to walk most of the day and just rent a stroller when he gets tired? Many thanks!

They're roomy and jogging stroller type (remember if you have the Disney Visa it's free too.)

You know though, they're kids. If you think you'd benefit from it - that's a LOT of walking even for adults - get it. Forget the age thing and just remember it's a family vacation and they're your babies. On a regular basis I'd probably say no, but for this and an all day event at DL, do what makes things easier.

The last time we went my kids were 2 and 3. They took turns riding in the stroller. I am considering renting a separate one this time for my now 3 and 5 year olds to take turns riding in. It really is a lot of walking- although my oldest didn't mind on our last trip (he didnt' ride in the stroller very much.)

We just got back from DL... we were in the parks for 3 days and I have twin boys who are 4 years and 4 months old. We did not use a stroller at all while we were there. We tried to time the boat rides and the train rides so that they could get off thier feet. We also headed back to the hotel for naps / rest in the afternoon. We avoided the hottest part of the day... and the longest lines of the day this way. They did really well and never asked for a stroller. I did see many older kids in strollers though so it all depends on your little ones. If you are not going to have a chance to rest in the afternoon I would get a stroller.

The last time we went (June) my daughter just turned 6. The only place she asks (and is allowed!) for a stroller is Disneyland. She has lots of energy but gets tired from all the walking in the park...so to avoid the afternoon crankies we bring a cheap umbrella stroller for her to use. If she gets tired of it we just leave it in the park somewhere and pick it up later. Some days she decided to use it and others she wanted to walk. I would do what the little ones want....it just makes for a nicer trip all around.

We have been twice this year and DS has been 5 and 5 1/2......the first trip we did not get a stroller the first two days and he was worn out. We have and will continue to get a stroller for future trips unless he is too big. It helped us with carrying sweatshirts, cooler with water, etc. as well as help him get off his feet when needed. He is really active, swimming, wrestling, soccer etc. but there is a lot of walking and we found with a stroller he did not tire as easily. Also, the best part is that the stroller is free with the VISA so why not take advantage of it?

My DD is 4 and we always get her a stroller when at DL. This is the only time she uses a stroller.

By the end of the week, my DS who is 9 is begging to get in the stroller (he is very small for his age, most think he is 6 based on size). He is only allowed in the stroller when DD is willing to be out and walking about.

Some parts of the day we will park the stroller for several hours (while in Fantasyland for instance) and just come back for it later.

We have the Disney Visa so we get the free rental each day.

My 4 and 6 year olds did fine when we were there a couple years ago with out a stroller. I did do some packing on my shoulders from time to time with the 4yo though.

My daughter is now 5 and we are going in October, I think it will be about the same. Probably on the shoulders on the way to the hotel/ on some trips across the park, mainly for speed.

Our kids are very active, so actually walking around the park isn't all that much more demanding than their normal day. We do go back to the hotel for a couple hours for naps and such.

While I can see it varies by family, it seems the general consensus is to rent strollers if the kids ask. Our kids' regular schedule of activity includes a lot of hikes, trips to the parks, outdoor play, etc. My monkeys are happiest when climbing huge piles of boulders at the canyon and playing in the lake! With no mall or indoor playgrounds in our town (except one VERY filthy McD's playground), there is not much else to do except FIND things to do outside. So while they are no couch potatos, I do think that they might get worn out after 4 days straight of walking at DL.

If we were going for just one or two days - we might skip the strollers altogether. But we are going for 4 days - possibly 5 ... and we don't stop to take naps or go back to the hotel ;) Even with how active they are, I think that many days at DL with no naps would be enough to wear ANY 5 year old out. :laughing:

We will probably skip the stroller the first day and then see how the kids do after that. Heck, there's times I wish for a stroller myself :goodvibes

Me too!!! They need to make an adult sized one for the spit-fire kids to push us in. lol...

If you think that your child would enjoy the trip more if you brought or rented a stroller then I say do what works best for your family! I've seen really big/old kids using them at DL so in no way will you be standing out with your 5 y/o DS if he's in one.

Kids are all different, what works for one might not for another. I know that each of my 5 kids are very different, even my identical twin sons.

My youngest will be 5 next time we visit DL and we will be bringing our own stroller. That works best for us since the hardest part of each day is when we're all tired and heading back to the hotel. The rentals can't be taken into DTD or any hotels.

Have a great trip!

Jen

we will be bringing our own stroller. That works best for us since the hardest part of each day is when we're all tired and heading back to the hotel. The rentals can't be taken into DTD or any hotels

Jen

We have a Pliko that has been in storage for 3 years. The reasons you have listed above are all of the reasons we are are thinking of dusting it off and bringing it. HOWEVER ... it is a pretty expensive stroller to get stolen or lost, so we are still kicking the idea around. pirate:

My dd was 6 and 1/2 on our last trip and every day she asked for a stroller, no big deal since it is free with my Disney Visa. I actually like having her in a stroller because when it is crowded I know just where she is and don't have to hold hands the whole time, or try and make sure we don't get separated in the crowd. This year we are going in December and I don't image she will want one all day, but I suspect by the middle of day two or three she will and if so I will get her one.

I bought a new, but previous year model double MacLaren when went to WDW in October for my then 5 and 3 year old. Very rarely were both in it at the same time, but after 10 days they did start dragging and spend more time in it.

We're spending 11 days this November in Disneyland and San Diego and I'll bring the stroller again. It will be nice to have outside the parks, on the way too and from the hotel.

Get the stroller!!
Those little legs get tired walking all around the park.

Use your Disney Visa and stroller rentals are free.

Don't sweat it. I have a very expensive jogging stroller that has travelled with us on every flight over the past 2 1/2 years - numerous airlines. NEVER had a problem. NEVER had anyone bother it. Have been asked where to get one on a few occassions. People are fantastic and very respectful of strollers - even at some not so nice places and locations. Piece of cake! I also love that Morgan can nap in a familiar stroller and we can take it back to the hotel - that's a LOOOOOONG walk carrying 30-40 wiggling pounds.

We also have a jogging stroller that has not been used in 2 years. My husband used to call it the CROWD BUSTER. Which is why we have not used it, he is COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE pushing that thing. I keep telling him that strollers are not meant to be used as crowd separating devices. The last thing I want is for him to take out someone's legs at DL!

I should just sell it on Ebay and buy one of those double MacLarens! Whatever this jogging stroller is, he said that the resale value was about $150. Hmmmmm.

My dd's are 5 and 2. The 5 yo will be 6 in Dec. We bring our regular stroller for the little one and then we have a little umbrella stroller that we just stick in the basket under the regular stroller and when older dd gets tired we just pull it out. She usually walks for the majority of the day but it really comes in handy on the way back to the hotel....she'll usually end up falling asleep by the time we get back to the hotel!

I have a VERY small DS7 (8 in October) - he is in the 5th percentile! - and this trip at the end of August will be our first w/o his Combi travel stroller! Best investment EVER!! We bought the stroller when he was 1 for a WDW vacation, and have used it on vacation ever since! We used the stroller at WDW last Oct. - he rode mostly only at night (yep - he's the kid who slept through both the Disney Halloween and Christmas parties!), or at the end of a tiring day! We also take breaks during the day which seems to help.
I wouldn't worry about what people think about older kids using strollers - most parents could easily use one also! These little guys get tired, and a tired child is a cranky child!
I agree that it is easiest to bring your own stroller, travelling back and forth to car, hotel, etc., but am glad that we have the Disney Visa...just in case we do need that stroller in the evenings! :rolleyes1
I actually love having the stroller along to hold my *stroller* bag - great place for autograph books, camera, snacks and drinks! I'm already trying to decide what I will carry in a couple of weeks, really big purse or small purse and tote. Ick!

Just be careful not to put anything too important in your stroller.
Our Disney rental stroller was stolen as we enjoyed the pat E Cake party at Plaza Inn. I read about CM's moving strollers out of the pathways, so I looked everywhere within the vicinity.
The thief got our 4 unopened $2.75 DL waters:mad:
But luckily we brought in "blankie" and our valuables or we would have been screwed.
You just show your receipt to get a replacement stroller, it's just inconvenient and maddening.:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter