Any other police officers who have stayed at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has got me curious. When a police officer or FBI agent etc. are wearing shorts and tshirts, do they wear their weapons openly or do they somehow try to cover them. I know in the summer it would be too hot to wear a jacket in Florida. I've never noticed anyone wearing a firearm in WDW but then, I have never been looking for it - this thread made me think.

I am retired after 20 years, and am sensible enough to know when to leave my weapon at home. A vacation at Disney is one of those times.
I've been to Disney at least 20 times in the past 18 years, and have never felt the need to use a weapon... and never had that feeling of boy do I need a gun right now.

In addition , working with LE , I have come to know PO's with different points of view of what "being a cop" is. Some guys leave it at work, other make their whole life revolve around some persona they carry out in private life also. It just seems to me this guy is the latter and therefore is what we call a BUFF.

Remember I didn't start this thread , just giving my honest opinion, though maybe I should've just ignored it altogether.

my dh takes his gun everytime we travel...we drive so he always brings it even to wdw...now of course he does not bring it to the parks but when we do outlet shopping or stuff like that it is always on his hip (hidden of course).The mang at the resorts will norm tell him to lock it in the in room safe and keep the key or put it in a locked box in the car.....but when we are driving it is in glove compartment within his reach at all times.
It was very rude to say to stop "buffing out"....that has nothing to do with it and the others are right unless you live with it or thats your job then you have no idea of the mindset of these men and women.They see things everyday that you dont WANT to see.

Just wanted to add something about the requirement to carry. DH is federal LE so he is required to carry at all times. However, the government realizes people do go on vacation & don't want to carry their weapons. DH has to fill out a slip & that's that. So, they can choose to leave the weapon & enjoy the vacation. It's kinda hard to conceal a 9mm under a t-shirt.

Crap can hit the fan anywhere, anytime of course. If you can at least hit the center mass, I'm ok with it. If you need remediation, please leave your weapon at home, lol!

I am retired after 20 years, and am sensible enough to know when to leave my weapon at home. A vacation at Disney is one of those times.
I've been to Disney at least 20 times in the past 18 years, and have never felt the need to use a weapon... and never had that feeling of boy do I need a gun right now.

In addition , working with LE , I have come to know PO's with different points of view of what "being a cop" is. Some guys leave it at work, other make their whole life revolve around some persona they carry out in private life also. It just seems to me this guy is the latter and therefore is what we call a BUFF.

Remember I didn't start this thread , just giving my honest opinion, though maybe I should've just ignored it altogether.

Thanks for your thoughts! There is no good reason to pack heat at Disney while on vacation.
Orlando has an experienced, trained police force.
It's probably very advisable for police, like many other folks, to just take a real vacation--leave work behind and get a mental as well as physical break.

DH will take his off duty since we are driving from NJ. Last time we went we flew and didn't take it.

We will ask upon check up what the procedure is. If they require us to leave it with them upon check in that is fine. If we can keep it in our safe in the room we will do that.

We have no desire to take it into the parks or while out and about in Florida or at WDW. We just want it for the long drive down.

I'm ususally more of a lurker, so I don't know why I'm getting involved in a thread that's liable to get shut down at any moment, but I have to comment on this idea of "leaving your stethoscope/gun at the office."

I'm not a police officer, I'm a physician. I'd like to think that the good police officers have the same level of commitment to people even when they are on vacation as I do. To serve and protect, so to speak.

I don't take my stethoscope on vacation. But four times I've gotten up when the flight attendent has called on the plane, "Is there a doctor on board?" I sure didn't want to.

I'm just thinking that maybe being a police officer might be more something that you are, rather than something you do.

Of course this in an idealized world. In reality-world there are good and bad physicians and police officers. Of course (excpet in Disney ;) )

My point, and I do have one :laughing: :laughing: is that I have a lot of respect for police officers (even as I slow down as I'm speeding past the laser sites) and it was a good topic to bring up for information and discussion.

I don't think police officers take offense to the subject it was a question that was asked & sounds like it was answered. My husband also does not take his weapon on vacation. As I stated before-no one seems to like a cop until they need one. I would only hope that no one finds themselves in a situation where on vacation they needed a off duty policeman w/ his weapon while waiting for the official one to arrive.
PS heart....I am so glad that you did what you did when needed. People sometimes need help & you did the right thing -THANK YOU. (I too hope I never need medical attention while on vacation but I do hope there are more doctors like you when I travel!)

We have traveled to Dis two times and we drove once. We lock his weapon up in the safe and go to the parks w/out it. DH does not like not having his weapon but he follows the rules. Police don't carry weapons just because they can they do it to protect their family and themselves. If you are not in Law Enforcement you will never understand what they see and deal with everyday. So please don't judge. Just appreciate the job they do.:flower3:

I thought I'd add a comment here, since the police officers posting seem to be taking offense to anyone who says they prefer they leave their weapon at home.

I don't see anyone having a problem with the "leave it at home" aspect, only the snarky comments about it somehow being a show-off, or a hormone trip to carry. Sadly, the people who are rightly offended are now being deemed to be unreasonable.....

Why can't people just answer the question without sarcastic comments?

I don't see anyone having a problem with the "leave it at home" aspect, only the snarky comments about it somehow being a show-off, or a hormone trip to carry. Sadly, the people who are rightly offended are now being deemed to be unreasonable.....

I think they have every right to be offended. I am offended by some of the comments and I am not an LEO....I'm in accounting. Unless you are in law enforcement, I don't think anyone should make a negative comment about something they have no way of understanding. We go about our everyday lives oblivious to alot of the nastiness in the world - it doesn't affect the majority of us directly, they see it every day with the threat of retaliation (sp?) from criminals against them and their families. With the way of the world today, I would rather they carry their guns when off duty---if I was ever unfortunate enough to be around when something illegal was happening, I would feel better with an off duty law enforcement officer pointing a gun at the criminal than I would if he was pointing a map at him......but that is just my opinion.

If he wants to carry it then its his decision. Looks like hes going about it in the right manner by calling Disney and finding out their regulations on weapons. I'm a former law enforcement officer and I just chose not to carry it with me when I went on trips. When I was in my jurisdiction most of the time it was with me but when I traveled a distance my Glock was always locked up at home.

I am not a cop, nor have I ever been in any form of law enforcement, but I would just like to say that it doesn't bother me one bit for officers to carry their weapons to the parks. I am a single mom of two boys, and would desire my boys to be protected more than anything else. If we are in danger and their is no one to protect us, the thought that a off-duty cop would step in is a calm assurance to me, especially after 9/11. We are not promised safety at Walt Disney World, we just tend to expect it. God Bless each of you who help to keep our streets safe as possible.

RS

no problem whatsoever with an offier carrying a firearm on vacation if he/she feels it necessary although it would scare the living crud out of me to see someone in a hotel lobby with a gun - even though I am friends w/ several state troopers and many local police officers, guns scare me. They just do

Edited to remove my grumpy reply

Thank you for posting this-hubby is in LE and we always take a weapon when we travel. We would not take it in the parks, but figured we could use the room safe. We are staying at POR. We have used front desk safes and it makes us a bit uneasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter