• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any other December Trip Takers Stressed?

camdensmom

DIS Veteran
We leave on Wednesday.

It seemed like a good idea when we booked the trip: value season, holiday decorations, a good time to miss a few days of work (I'm a teacher and the week before vacation is somewhat of a wash since the kids are all hyped up), been cold here so the warm weather will be nice, etc.

Well, now the reality of going away in December has set in and I'm stressed. It's such a busy time of year: report cards, parent teacher conferences, Christmas shopping/cards/etc. I'm also stressed out about my 2 year old getting sick before we go or while we are there since every other child around him is sniffling like crazy. I'm also on weather watch for fear of being snowed in. Oh and let's not forget the stress of "what the heck do I pack" since the weather can fluctuate by 50+ degrees at this time of year.

YIKES!

I realize I am just making myself crazy for nothing and that we are blessed to be going to Disney again. I also know that when we get there we will have a great time. Still, I just thought I would check in and see if there was anyone else stressed about taking a trip at this time of year? I'm currently in a "What was I thinking?" I'm sure a few minutes in a hammock at the Polynesian will make it all worth while though.

I'm completely stressed about our trip. We leave a week from tomorrow and I feel like I have a million things to do. I was hoping that going down for the 10 days before Christmas would make December less stressful, but I guess I wasn't thinking that it just meant 10 less days to get all those holiday things done.

I'm also trying desperately to figure out what to pack, I have no idea what I'll need to wear down there!

yes yes yes this is us.... I so affraid my children are going to get sick on our flight down there. I am affraid we will be snowed in and not be able to fly home on the 24th (I can't be away from home on Christmas).

However, I so excited as well.... I cannot wait to see all things Christmas at Disney.

Not stressed yet, I have all those activites you mentioned to keep my mind busy, or I probably would be panicking right now. we leave on Dec 19 and I haven't even started packing. I know I will be crazy woman the morning we leave, luckily, I don't have to worry about getting snowed in here, or at least I hope not, nah, couldn't happen here :sad2:. Hopefully by this time next week, I wil be ready to start packing and that is when I will start freaking out, maybe not, hopefully.

Don't worry too much, Have fun.

Suzanne princess:

I understand what you mean...I too will be arriving at WDW on Wednesday and have had to make all the necessary pre-holiday preparations such as shopping, gift wrapping, decorating, and christmas cards far in advance. It has added a little stress but it has also eliminated my natural tendancy to procrastinate.

I am concerned about the winter weather in my area and the prospect of getting snowed in. It has snowed everyday in my area for the last three days leaving several inches of accumulation. I cautiously watch the weather channel with anticipation. However, all the planning in the world cannot control the weather.

Misery does love company! I thought I was the only one. I'm bad enough taking a summer vacation when I'm out of school or normally at Christmas but being in school, Christmas, the fear of getting sick or being snowed in, having to wait for weather report to decide what to pack, etc are all making me crazy! :scared: :eek: As it gets closer I find myself hesitant about looking forward to our trip -and that should be lots of fun! :mad: I want to wake up and I'm on the ME bus pulling into the Pop! Thanks for listening and making me feel a little less:banana: s :grouphug:

OMG, I hadn't even thought about getting sick :sick: That would be horrible!!!
I'm prepared for the snow and since we're going over New Year's, the big holiday will be over:santa: I think I'll stock up on zycam and cold eeze just in case!;) ;) Now I'm going into germ avoidance mode:eek:

I leave for the airport in 6 hours.. :scared: I'm not in bed yet, I've had to work really wierd hours this week, am tired, but just cant stop checking and dbl checking that I have everything.
With my 'gadget bag' full of junk for my camera, camcorder, laptop, chargers, batteries etc, I'm planning on spending a little time with the TSA agents in the AM, and that's got me stressed :D

Another vote for "yep, I'm stressed when I wasn't planning to be." We booked a four-day Wonder cruise when we were aboard in June of '06, and picked the furthest out date we could, which was December 16, 2007 -- seemed a long way away at the time. We originally thought we'd change to May of '08 when the dates came out, but then I thought, "Hey, I'm a middle-aged mom going back to college and will graduate in December, so why not take the cruise and celebrate my graduation?" Once we agreed on that, I figured "why not add a few days at Disney World after?" and so I graduate on Friday the 14th, we fly to Orlando on the 15th, do the cruise the 16 to 20th, then stay at Diseny World till the 24th, then fly home on Christmas Eve. Well, that plan was set (and paid for) quite a while ago, and now I'm going into this next week with final exams to take, graduation dinner to plan and attend, packing for a 9-day cruise and Disney World stay, trying to make sure all my Christmas cards and presents are bought, wrapped and ready, and wondering what the heck I was thinking when I made these arrangements. LOL! I know once the week is over and we're on the Wonder and at Disney World, I'll be glad I did -- but at the moment, doing everything in the next seven days is definitely stressing me out!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Yes, everything you said I'm going through too! We leave on the 15th. Worried about getting sick, stressed over the holidays, incredibly busy, and not knowing how I am going to get everything done but knowing it will all work out somehow! The last two Saturdays we have had major snowstorms. Next Saturday better be good! Hope we all have safe travels and stay healthy! Merry Christmas too!

I understand where you're coming from!

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm ready for Christmas. I keep telling them, nope, I'm headed to WDW and I'll think about Christmas when I get back! Of course, that only leaves me 10 days to do all my Christmas shopping. :scared1:

I was also stressed about my kids getting sick before the trip. Of course, it ends up that I am now sick. All the stressing probably did it to me!

But, you know... I don't care about any of it now because I leave in 2 hours!!! Yes, I am way too excited to sleep.

and of course my son and I are starting to come down with something :sad2: I'm not to worried about myself (I'll crawl around Dinsey if I have to) but don't want my son to get sick. He's got the stuffy nose and lets hope it just stays that way. He's already had two bouts of pnemonia (sp) within the last 3 months and I sure don't want to have to visit the hospital down there. I keep waiting to hear that cough. I've got to finish up packing today. Take son to dentist to get his tooth filled, get his hair cut, take daughter to get her nails painted :rotfl: . This is our first trip so not sure how much or what to take down. We'll have a great time and can't wait to get out of the cold and down to the sun and fun!!! :banana: :banana:

Kath

We are leaving Wednesday, but I am not stressed about anything other than DS getting sick. And the weather when we get there.

I am not decorating this year, DS got a Wii and DH got a dSLR camera so I am pretty much finished shopping except for a few more small things. I'll pop those in gift bags and be done with it! My cards will get mailed eventually.:rolleyes1

DS said last week that he wasn't feeling well so now I am paranoid that he will get sick. He always does - it's the Disney curse!:rolleyes:

It's a short trip so we're just doing carry-ons. Now if I could figure out what to put IN the carry-ons I would be ready to go!:rotfl2: Darn weather!

SEE Y'ALL THERE!!!!!!!

Look for me on Saturday :lmao:

I live about 3 hours north of Orlando and this week it is supposed to be in the 80's until Friday HERE! So, I am assuming warmer 3 hours south! WHO KNOWS, though! It is always a gamble! I bought my kids coats yesterday just in case it gets cold while we are down there...last year we needed coats at night.

SEE YA THERE!

I did all my shopping online this year. It was GREAT!!!!! I'm done & starting to pack.

I'm stressed but my real life does that to me.

We have gone the last three years at Christmas. I bought airborn and made everyone take it once a day three days before the trip both ways. This year we are surprising the kids christmas morning with a trip leaving on the 28th and I am stressed because I can't pack until Christmas day and oh yeah the snow thing:scared1: thanks for bringing that up!! Maybe we can get stuck there and not be able to come home!!;)

Last week I had my break down. :sad2: The stress of everything got to me. I feel a little better now but I can't get over that feeling like I might forget something or did I budget enough. I do have my binder pretty much put together and have a packing list going. I look over it often and add things as I think about them. As far as Christmas goes the shopping is pretty much done now. Bringing presents on the plane unwrapped (because if you wrap stuff the luggage guys will probably unwrap it do to 911) and keeping them hid from the kids was becoming a nightmare to me so I wrapped them all and shipped them. Trying hard not to freak out with worry about all the what-if's about that. We will be at WDW for Christmas so I am not decorating the house. DH is a little disappointed but it is a lot of work to put up and take down when you are not going to be around to enjoy them. I did go to the dollar store and pick up decorations for our room and I shipped that stuff up with the other so I can make our timeshare feel more like home. I am hopping to get a small Christmas tree when we arrive as well. Other things I am stressed about is that it is also my DS's 15th birthday this upcoming weekend. Just 3 days before we leave. We are going to have some of his friends over and then go to the movies. It is not that it is going to be too hard it is just that it is one more $$$ on top of Christmas and our big trip.

oh yeah the snow thing:scared1: thanks for bringing that up!! Maybe we can get stuck there and not be able to come home!!;)

Okay guys!!! This is our first trip out there. I thought Florida was the other sunny state. What is all of this talk about snow and not being able to come home. :confused: :confused3

Oh, no! We live in Ohio on Lake Erie (it is a giant snow machine!!) so I meant snow in Cleveland not Orlando!! Last year when we were at WDW for Spring Break Cleveland was hit with a major snow storm in April!! So you just never know. I just want to get there then have the snow hit at home!!;) Have a great trip!!

We leave Tuesday morning for 8 days for our first December trip. My DW has finished all of her shopping and I only need to shop for my son. We went lite with decorating our house this year... Only did the tree and outside lights.

December is usualy a slow time for me at work but this year has been crazy. This last week I've worked every night until 8 or 9. My DW is a realtor so things get slow for her and given how the whole market is, her business is slow anyway...

So, with all of that... I think the stress is behind us. I'm pulling out the suitcases today and starting the packing checklist... Only 2 plus days and we are out of here...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter