Any Orlando Locals willing to rent a minivan?

SpectroMan71

Mouseketeer
OK, I know this will sound weird. My dilmena is we're coming to WDW from CA and want to bring a personal ECV. It's not one that easily breaks down into smaller pieces so it would be easiest to keep it intact. The rental agencies at MCO say that the seats in their minivans are not removable so I wouldn't want to get there and not be able to fit the chair in the van. So I thought I'd ask any locals if you were interested in renting your personal van. The dates are Sept 22-30. I'd be happy to show proof of insurance, leave a copy of driver's license/credit card/etc, whatever you're comfortable with, etc... The plans are 1 day at Universal, 1 day at Busch, and 7 days at WDW on property. Yes I know Magical Express can accomodate the ECVs but we need more freedom with all the park hopping we do. I also know that there are other rental agencies that rent vans with ramps but they're like $90 a day vs. about $40 from the airport places. Anyone...help?

Thank you!!

The last two trips we made we had Chrysler vans with Stow and Go seats. Those seats are not removable, but can be folded into bins built into the floor of the van. That makes the floor totally flat where the seat had been.

Very cool. Do you happen to know which companies use Chrysler? I currently have a minivan rented with Dollar for a great rate but I don't know what products they rent.

In California last year, we had a Stow and Go minivan from Dollar.

(My asd ds was kept entertained when we were parked-he kept stowing and unstowing the seats!!!)

We've used Alamo and National recently and both had Chrysler vans. But we've also gotten them from Dollar in the past and when you go to Dollar's website, they feature Dodge Caravans (Dodge and Chrylser are both Chrysler companies). I'm not positive, but I think only the Grand Caravans and Grand Voyagers (or Chysler Town and Country) vans have the Stow and Go seats. The "grand" vans have a longer wheelbase, so they have a longer cargo space, which would be helpful to you.
Even if the seats are not Stow and Go, Dodge seats are very easy to remove (they don't want you to remove them, but it would probably be possible to remove that back seat and carry/store it in your room while you are there.)
They have a quick release and rollers on the bottom for removal. That way, you would only have to take the ECV apart when you are going back and forth from the airport.
You might also find that a Grand Caravan or Voyager has enough space to put the ECV in the cargo space without taking it apart if you slide the rear seat up as far as it goes.

Sue, looking at Dodge's own website, it does appear that only the Grands have the stow & go. So just to reconfirm, were the Grands available from Dollar (or the other agencies) or only regular Caravans? Thanks again. :sunny:

Check Hertz.com. I don't know if they have minivans with Stow & Go seats, BUT you can reserve a SPECIFIC model vehicle from them. See what they offer for minivans, then call or visit a local (to you) dealer and see if that'll work for you.

We have used Dollar, Alamo and National in the past and have been able to find Grand Caravans or Grand Voyagers on each trip. Usually it is the "luck of the hunt" whether you will get one or not. Because of the extra cargo space, they are popular with people who have lots of luggage.

We used Hertz last November and the van we got had the stow & go feature. I made the reservation over the phone and made sure they noted this need. I explained that my DD's wheelchair was not capable of being dismantled and they were quite accommodating.

On our last couple of trips we have rented a standard minivan from Alamo, they will let you choose which vehicle you want from the category you book. Assuming they have one suitable you will at least have a choice as they do vary in the cargo space and seating arrangement.
If renting a non-adapted van you will also need to consider how you will get the ECV in and out. You would probably need ramps.

loadsapixiedust said:
On our last couple of trips we have rented a standard minivan from Alamo, they will let you choose which vehicle you want from the category you book. Assuming they have one suitable you will at least have a choice as they do vary in the cargo space and seating arrangement.
If renting a non-adapted van you will also need to consider how you will get the ECV in and out. You would probably need ramps.
in March, we rented from Alamo. You get to hunt among the vehicles that are in the rows for the category you book. When we arrived at the row, there were no Chrysler vans. We waited a few minutes and 2 showed up!

If you go to the websites of the different rental companies they have "our fleet" options or something similar that will tell you their car brands.

Enterprise has various vehicles and may be able to offer you a vehicle that can work for you.

There are also companies that specialize in renting vans for mobility issues. I will see if I can locate a website and post it.

Mummy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter