Any organ donors out cruising?

I don't know how old all the commenters are, but many, many 70 year-olds are in good shape and would probably do fine with their recovery. Don't count what used to be old-out.
I see 70 year olds that are in better shape then 30 year olds. Age is just a number. Genetics and good life style choices and you can be very healthy at age 70.

The recipient's odds are much better with a transplant than with dialysis, assuming that the individual isn't totally negligent regarding immune suppressive drugs, etc. The situation isn't as simple as "he could survive decades with dialysis"--although it is technically true that this could happen, it is far more likely that it won't. A living donor transplant, when available, is the right answer for almost any young person with end stage renal disease.

As far as the surgical recovery time goes, although complications are possible with any major surgical procedure, being incapacitated to the point of being unable to travel after a nephrectomy would definitely be the exception rather than the rule.

The recipient's odds are much better with a transplant than with dialysis, assuming that the individual isn't totally negligent regarding immune suppressive drugs, etc. The situation isn't as simple as "he could survive decades with dialysis"--although it is technically true that this could happen, it is far more likely that it won't. A living donor transplant, when available, is the right answer for almost any young person with end stage renal disease.

As far as the surgical recovery time goes, although complications are possible with any major surgical procedure, being incapacitated to the point of being unable to travel after a nephrectomy would definitely be the exception rather than the rule.

Given that the issue is the result of 20+ years of blatant personal neglect (failure to take blood pressure medicine, failure to treat gout that resulted from lifestyle choices, etc.) and that the underlying causes remain (kitchen full of velveeta, pop and chips and nary a vegetable in sight)...yes, we do wonder how long any new kidney will last. These causes are not speculation or up for debate. They were confirmed by his doctors when he finally did go see someone and they told him he was down to 5% kidney function.

Regardless - it sounds like there are many organ donors here which is amazing. But all of them seem to have been 30-40 years younger than our dad when they donated.

Good advice all around with respect to waiting for the board - they may reject him and then it’s a moot point. I will be checking with our TA regarding the last possible day to cancel and will reserve judgement until then.

Update: the transplant is a go. It will happen at the end of this month.

Our last day to cancel the cruise with a full refund is April 30th.

Based on the information provided by the many organ donors on the boards (thank you!), it seems like two months will be plenty of time for all of us to evaluate whether we want to stick with the Alaska cruise or change plans and maybe do something less taxing like a week at BLT or AKL.

It looks like you've decided to wait to cancel, which I think is a great idea. My 77 year old mom had a hysterectomy in June. During the surgery the surgeon perforated her bowel and at the beginning of July she had an emergency dissection, which turned into a month-long recovery. She was then back in the hospital in September for pneumonia. We had a cruise scheduled for mid-October, which we really worried about, but she was able to go and we had a great time.

I hope everything goes well with the transplant and you're able to go on your Alaska cruise!

Based on the information provided by the many organ donors on the boards (thank you!), it seems like two months will be plenty of time for all of us to evaluate whether we want to stick with the Alaska cruise or change plans and maybe do something less taxing like a week at BLT or AKL.

Best of luck to your dad!

It looks like you've decided to wait to cancel, which I think is a great idea. My 77 year old mom had a hysterectomy in June. During the surgery the surgeon perforated her bowel and at the beginning of July she had an emergency dissection, which turned into a month-long recovery. She was then back in the hospital in September for pneumonia. We had a cruise scheduled for mid-October, which we really worried about, but she was able to go and we had a great time.

I hope everything goes well with the transplant and you're able to go on your Alaska cruise!

Sorry to hear about all the trouble your mom had! That sounds miserable. I’m glad to hear she did eventually recover and get back to feeling like herself.

One of my concerns is that Alaska isn’t meant to be a “relaxing” cruise for my dad. Marching through the tundra and over glaciers is a bucket list thing for him - so he needs to be at 100% or he’ll just be miserable sitting on the ship.

If we shift plans and spend a week in Orlando - where he has seen and done everything anyways - we won’t feel like we are missing out on excursions. I have enough points for a two bedroom at BLT or AKL - he enjoys sitting out on the balcony and watching the giraffes with my kiddo. And you could hardly call it a second class vacation...just a different vacation.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble your mom had! That sounds miserable. I’m glad to hear she did eventually recover and get back to feeling like herself.

One of my concerns is that Alaska isn’t meant to be a “relaxing” cruise for my dad. Marching through the tundra and over glaciers is a bucket list thing for him - so he needs to be at 100% or he’ll just be miserable sitting on the ship.

If we shift plans and spend a week in Orlando - where he has seen and done everything anyways - we won’t feel like we are missing out on excursions. I have enough points for a two bedroom at BLT or AKL - he enjoys sitting out on the balcony and watching the giraffes with my kiddo. And you could hardly call it a second class vacation...just a different vacation.
he's going to be fine. you are overthinking it

RE: cruise insurance: you can get "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Alaskan cruises are a lot more relaxing than BLT or AKL.

Alaskan cruises are a lot more relaxing than BLT or AKL.

I disagree. We are DVC owners and have been to the parks numerous times. If we even go to a park, we go for a few hours and that’s it. And you can get an ECV if needed at a park.

Alaska would be a one-time event and there are “must do” activities that everyone has to be well enough to do. Yes, sitting on a ship may be relaxing. Dad hates sitting on the ship - for him it’s just a way to get to the next port. Not relaxing. (I’m the opposite - I’ve stayed onboard and skipped ports, though wouldn’t likely do that in Alaska!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter