Any one in Canada have a garbage disposal in their home?

Art 1

DIS Veteran
No one seems to have one. And these aren't cheap houses either. The uneaten food off the plates gets recycled. It's cumbersome to get used too. In the US I've always had one, never saw a house that didn't.

Give it a couple of weeks and you will get used to putting the food in the compost bin (and it is so much better for the environment). After about 2 weeks in Germany (where I have never seen a disposal) it was second nature :)

Give it a couple of weeks and you will get used to putting the food in the compost bin (and it is so much better for the environment). After about 2 weeks in Germany (where I have never seen a disposal) it was second nature :)
Yes, it's a good idea. Just very surprising and hard to get used to. Germany too? Wow.

Mexico too (my parents are realtors and often sell multi million dollar homes----no disposals ETA, at least not last time I was there, but it has been many years--maybe I'll ask next time I send an email). Come to think of it, I have never seen one in Spain (where we often visit and I have been in many homes) either. It may be an American thing. Now I am curious!

Last edited:

I don't have one and I don't know anyone who has one. I actually have never seen one in a home.

We don't compost or anything, but we live in the US and haven't had one in either of our homes. Our first home was built in 1955, and a small home, so I'm guessing that's why it doesn't have one. When we bought the house we live in now, I was really shocked it did not have one (Built around 1999). We have a septic system, and I have read differing things about septic systems and garbage disposers. So I'm guessing that's why we don't have one?
It could also be an environmental thing as we have the WORST low flow toilets.

No one seems to have one. And these aren't cheap houses either. The uneaten food off the plates gets recycled. It's cumbersome to get used too. In the US I've always had one, never saw a house that didn't.
::yes:: Um, yes, I do...it's pretty common to have a garburator here. I work for a homebuilder and we do about 350 units a year. It's not part of our standard specification but it is a "standard upgrade" and we put them in about 70% of our houses. Now if you're talking about a trash compactor, I can only remember seeing 2 of those in the last 9 years...

None here either just the compost bin that every house gets , with recycle bins. Really cuts down on the garbage that goes to the curb each week.

I have cousins in the U.S and that was the first time I saw one , they pay for a company to pick up there garbage too which we don't . Well it is in our taxes I guess but everyone has the same garbage day on the street makes it easier not to for get...lol

I live in Nova Scotia and I've got one.

We don't use it that much, just for food that falls in the sink during prep and cleanup. Everything else gets composted through our recycling program... directly into green bin for vegetable stuff, into big bag in freezer (till pickup day) for stinky stuff.

I am on well and septic system.

I live in the US and have never had one. Nobody I know in my entire family has one either.

My parents put one in when the remodeled their kitchen about 10 years ago. Otherwise, I don't know a single person with one. (US)
We throw all our stuff in the garbage.

I live in the US and have one but don't use it that often. I still scrape the food into the garbage.

I live in Canada and don't have one nor do I recall ever seeing one in someone else's home. All food scrapes go into the green bin and get picked up once a week.

I'm in BC and we have one in our house. I think about half of the homes I've lived in since the 80's have had one and I absolutely love having one. We have a compost bin under the sink and a green garbage bin that gets collected with our regular garbage but the garbage disposal is wonderful to have!

Every house I have ever lived in has had a disposal. I live in the US. I am the killer of disposals- I think my poor DH has replaced at least 4 in our 19 years of home ownership. There is a loooong list of food items that I have learned won't go in the disposal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter