Any one been to knotts berry farm in CA

jacs1234

Dreaming of Disney
We tossing up between lego land and knotts berry farm. We've been to legoland a few times and feel our kids may be getting a little big for it, especially our older two.; It will cost us $800 for a day at legoland but just $220 - $280 for knotts berry farm. I have no idea what to expect of knotts berry. our kids are 13, 11, 9, and 7

We went to Knotts last year, my husband was the main one wanting to go but I actually enjoyed it more than I expected. Our kids were 11, 8 and 4 at the time and they all enjoyed it. Husband loved the extreme roller coasters. There are also lots of medium sized not very fast coasters which were fun for me and the 11 year old. Also lots more kiddie rides than I expected.

I wasn't expecting much in the way of theming or atmosphere from what I had read, and true it's no Disneyland but it was really quite pleasant. Also we went on a weekday so crowds were almost non-existent.

I haven't been to Legoland but I think it's more geared to younger kids? I'd say Knotts would have more for your range of ages.

Also if you're going from Disneyland to Knotts, consider taking a taxi (if you can all fit in one) - it took 10 minutes and was well worth the $20 fare each way for the convenience. Easy to find one outside Knotts on the way home and no worrying about bus times etc.

Something else I just remembered, if you go to Knotts buy your tickets online, the adult tickets were about $15 cheaper online than at the gate (can't remember exact figure but was significant), and kids' tickets were cheaper too.

I went to Knotts about 10 years ago and all I remember was waiting 3 hours in lines for a 60 second ride, lol. I do remember more rides aimed at pre-teen and above whereas Legoland is aimed at the younger kids. Of course a lot could have changed in 10 years!!

If you been to LL before I would definitely go Knotts. Plus the price difference is a pretty good reason too!!

We went to Knotts about a month ago and it was great. We had the front of the line pass things (it's a wrist band) and I would say with your kids being that bit older, I'd go Knotts. It's easier to get to on the ART from Disneyland if you don't have a car (which we didn't). It also has a waterpark, soak city which you can get a two day pass I think.

But I would do Knotts with your kids being older and it being closer and having not done it before :thumbsup2

We are doing both this trip. I think our kids ( aged 11 and 9) are way too old for LL, but they love Lego and we are staying at the LL Hotel as it is new, and we won't ever do this in future years. We are going to KBF for the first time as a family (I went many years ago pre kids), think our DS 11 will really enjoy some of the exciting rides there.

Note that both KBF and LL are at the start of our trip. We are then doing a road trip, ending with 9 days at DL. I would never do KBF and LL after DL, as I think they would be more likely to be a disappointment coming after DL ( just my opinion).

Hi, a vote here for Knott's. We have gone there on our visits to Disneyland in the past few years and the 3 kids and us all love it. Both times we have gone crowds were non existent. make sure you go to Mrs Knott's which is just outside the gate. for fried chicken for lunch. There is a sit down restaurant but there is also a takeaway section. We get a big bucket of amazing fried chicken, mashed potato, gravy and biscuits and then take it back into the park to eat :thumbsup2

...and don't forget Snoopy! they have Peanuts as their main "characters" at Knotts, so the kids can get to meet Snoopy and the gang, which our boys loved.
But ditto everything other posters have said about more "big rides" - the log flume ride at Knotts is great and there is a huge old wooden rollercoaster which seems to go on forever..which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your love of coasters!.:faint:

We did knots and loved it, the roller coasters were great, my DS and DH both prefer it to DL:scared1:
We actually stayed one night at the knots hotel and got the Room, tickets and breakfast included for around $200, great hotel rooms, huge breakfast, excellent value for money:banana:

Another vote here for Knotts. We went in 2011, had a great time. We went in a weekday and were able to walk onto all the rides for the whole day. We also got our best USA souvenir ever from here (and considering how much stuff we buy that's really saying something LOL). It was a handmade little horseshoe with my girls names imprinted on them. We watched the blacksmith make them and imprint them, was sooooo awesome, we stood and watched that guy for the longest time :)

Also, you must go to Mrs Knotts chicken restaurant and have a chicken dinner. Is about $15 for salad and soup, 3 pieces of amazing fried chicken, about 12 biscuits with butter and jam, mashed potato with gravy, veggies, and pie for dessert. My whole family just ate the one meal. In fact, although we're not going back to knotts this year we will still be going to eat mrs knotts chicken dinner and I can't wait !!!

aussiegirls said:
Another vote here for Knotts. We went in 2011, had a great time. We went in a weekday and were able to walk onto all the rides for the whole day. We also got our best USA souvenir ever from here (and considering how much stuff we buy that's really saying something LOL). It was a handmade little horseshoe with my girls names imprinted on them. We watched the blacksmith make them and imprint them, was sooooo awesome, we stood and watched that guy for the longest time :)

Also, you must go to Mrs Knotts chicken restaurant and have a chicken dinner. Is about $15 for salad and soup, 3 pieces of amazing fried chicken, about 12 biscuits with butter and jam, mashed potato with gravy, veggies, and pie for dessert. My whole family just ate the one meal. In fact, although we're not going back to knotts this year we will still be going to eat mrs knotts chicken dinner and I can't wait !!!

How could I have forgotten Mrs Knotts??! We had a similar great fried chicken lunch- The atmosphere is a bit like lunch at Nan's - which I guess is the idea... Our boys were most impressed however, by the group of cops at the next table who were dining with holsters and guns on (don't see that in lil' ol' NZ! - thankfully, I guess.)

yes, my dh really wants to try the chicken dinner. So how many meals do you think I should buy to feed 6 people, with 3 of them not being big eaters.

We had the chicken dinner too (for lunch). Our 2 youngest had kids meals, then we got 3 full dinners for us 2 adults plus the 11 year old - wayyyy too much! We probably could have got by with 2 meals between the 3 of us (plus the 2 kids meals), or I think even 3 meals between all 5 of us. The amount of chicken it huge not even counting the sides and dessert.

I've been to KBF 5-6 times and love it. It's a bit of respite from the full on go-go-go of Disneyland. If anyone has been to Dreamworld on the Gold Coast it's just a bit bigger than that.

On our last trip to CA, we went to both KBF and Legoland. My boys (then 8 and 12) LOVE Lego and had really been looking forward to visiting the park.

On the plus side - the Lego statues are fantastic.

On the downside, the staff and complete disorganisation of the rides are a utter disgrace. A ride that would take 1-2 minutes (tops) to load at DL, WDW, Universal, or KBF took 10-15 minutes (minimum) at LL. We missed out on so much stuff because we got stuck in such slow lines.

KBF and LL are roughly the same size. I can go on multiple rides, multiple times, at KBF, but we only got on about 1/2 the rides at LL. It didn't seem like a particularly busy day, so I just don't understand why it was so badly run. We also weren't impressed by the water activities at LL being laid out in such a way that passersby got soaked as well.

I complained to one of the staff about the rides and they said a good option would be to try the LL in London if we weren't happy with the SD one! What!?! :sad2: :furious:

I felt so sorry for my kids - they'd been waiting so long to visit LL and it was a complete and utter let down. OTOH, they can't wait to return to KBF.

Another vote for Knotts!
My husband and I went there in 2010, so a little while ago but we had a really good day thre. We both loved the wooden rollercoaster! B
The only thing we regret was doing the park after Disneyland we wish we had of done Disney after knotts!

We visited Knotts in 2012 and it was definitely a fun day. Mrs Knotts Chicken Dinner is a must - just delicious.

The rides are bigger, faster and wilder than you will find in Disney - great for teens. Like other posters have said, the taxi option is a good one - no waiting and inexpensive as its not far from a Disney home base.

Definitely worth considering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter