Any news on how Castaway handled hurricane Sandy?

sue

love my DVC
We sail on the Fantasy next week and are hoping that if there is damage on the island, that it will be up and running by the time we sail. I think I read somewhere that Castaway was once upon a time hit by a different hurricane. Does anyone know how long it took for them to clean up after that storm?:confused3

We sail on the Fantasy next week and are hoping that if there is damage on the island, that it will be up and running by the time we sail. I think I read somewhere that Castaway was once upon a time hit by a different hurricane. Does anyone know how long it took for them to clean up after that storm?:confused3
I'm trying to find out information on CC too. We're supposed to be there this Saturday, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

I know they had to dredge the docking area after a storm, maybe Irene. I can't remember how long it took to be ready for guests again.

Castaway Cay had damage in 2004 from Hurricane Frances. DCL took the Wonder with CM's to CC to put the island back together.

The island has been basically wiped out by hurricanes at least twice. They somehow get it up and running very quickly! It happened in 2004, and at least once after the Stingray excursion opened whichwas 2008 (they talked about how they opened the fences so the rays could go to deeper water; within 3 weeks, all the rays had voluntarily returned to CC!) Grand Cayman was "closed" to visitors for an entire season after hurricane damage.

CC was also hit in the first few years--again, we asked why the plantings weren't growing the way the early diagrams showed they would; we were told that they had all been replanted less than a year previous due to hurricane damage.

I'm trying to find out information on CC too. We're supposed to be there this Saturday, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

I know they had to dredge the docking area after a storm, maybe Irene. I can't remember how long it took to be ready for guests again.

Why do you say that? I've been away from the boards for a while. Did the Fantasy not sail back out Saturday? :confused3
We are due to sail out on Saturday also.

Why do you say that? I've been away from the boards for a while. Did the Fantasy not sail back out Saturday? :confused3
We are due to sail out on Saturday also.
We board the Dream on Thursday and our CC stop is supposed to be Saturday. From what I've heard, the island has some major damage. If so, they may not have it all cleaned up and ready for guests by Sat. The Dream 4-night is supposed to go to CC tomorrow, so maybe we'll hear some news on the condition then.

We are scheduled to be on the November 1st sailing too that has a CC stop on Saturday. Keeping fingers crossed the Dream makes the stop there. It's our first Disney cruise and we were particularly excited about visiting CC.

vanguardgator said:
We are scheduled to be on the November 1st sailing too that has a CC stop on Saturday. Keeping fingers crossed the Dream makes the stop there. It's our first Disney cruise and we were particularly excited about visiting CC.

Someone posted an article from USA today about the dream. They were supposed to go to CC Tuesday but have been postponed until Wednesday so they can finish cleaning up the mess left from the hurricane.

Here is the quote:

Meanwhile, a call at Castaway Cay by sister ship Disney Dream was postponed a day so that crews can clear away debris left by the storm, Peddie says. The private Bahamas island is Disney's most popular port of call.

I think that means for the current dream cruise, right? So the rest of us going in the next week, should be good!! :cool1:

FLbadders5 said:
Here is the quote:

Meanwhile, a call at Castaway Cay by sister ship Disney Dream was postponed a day so that crews can clear away debris left by the storm, Peddie says. The private Bahamas island is Disney's most popular port of call.

I think that means for the current dream cruise, right? So the rest of us going in the next week, should be good!! :cool1:

Yay! I'm there next week!

I helped a friend plan her vacation, and she's on the Dream right now. She's got no service right now, but I figure I'll hear from her probably first thing Thursday morning when they hit port. I'll hit her up for details and post something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter