Any News on Castaway Cay

over50visits

DIS Veteran
Maybe I missed it, but is there any word on CC reopening. We are cruising 9/19, and had just assumed the island would be closed for weeks, but there were some tantalizing hints that it might open soon a few days back. Anyone know?

Of course, good old Tropical Depression #11 might get a name and push us out of that area anyway.

would love to know the answer to this one, think dcl may have a clue by now as to whether next lot of sailings are going there. anyone know ?

From what I have read, the 9/11 Magic cruisers are being told they 'may' get to go. We are on the 9/18 Magic and the people in our group that have called DCL (I haven't) were told that there have been no changes to our scheduled ports (so that means they are still planning to stop at CC).

I think the 9/19 cruise should be able to stop there.

Of course bad weather can change that, but I think the island is suppose to be back up and running later this week.

DJ

I'm also on the 9/18 Magic. Last week I called to book excursions, doing Castaway Cay last. The rep let me book and told me the damage was not that bad to the island, only some dredging needed to be done and it should be up and running for our cruise. However, Tropical Depression #11, Jeanne could be another story.

Okay, I don't really have news about the island itself. But, for those who were wondering how the Castaway Cay Cat fared during the storm, I received an e-mail from DCL yesterday that confirmed that "...all cast members were evacuated from Castaway Cay, including the cat..."

So for anyone else who had terrible thoughts of the kitty holding on for dear life in a tree during 100+ mph winds, our concerns were all for naught.

Just called and they said that it is still not open. That is all the information that they would offer me at this time.

I guess I should have mentioned in the earlier post that the e-mail said that they have a team working around the clock to restore the beach erosion. They hope to have the work finished by the end of the week.

Not really anything we hadn't heard before. I guess that's why I forgot to mention it.

Originally posted by amymouse
I received an e-mail from DCL yesterday that confirmed that "...all cast members were evacuated from Castaway Cay, including the cat..."

So for anyone else who had terrible thoughts of the kitty holding on for dear life in a tree during 100+ mph winds, our concerns were all for naught.

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

I'm so happy that DCL took good care of kitty too! Thanks for the update:wave:

I guess I should have mentioned in the earlier post that the e-mail said that they have a team working around the clock to restore the beach erosion. They hope to have the work finished by the end of the week.

Not really anything we hadn't heard before. I guess that's why I forgot to mention it.

I'm dying here. I completely dismissed going to CC after Frances went through. Now my hopes are up again.... Who knows, maybe this weeks Wonder will be the first one back! *fingers crossed* :crazy:

I was so happy to hear the kitty was well taken care of....hopefully BOTH of the kitties, as one of the original posts about CC and the cat had two different posters post a photo of the cat..... and they were 2 different kitties!!

I would guess that the CMs on the island take good care of the kitties, however, and would have scooped them both up to care for during the storm.

Here's the one I know of, but I did see another poster with a grey cat. This one was so friendly, I'm happy to hear they took time to save her (him?)

cccat.jpg

Oh, how pretty!

Thanks for posting the pic. I hadn't seen any of the other posts that included pics. In fact, since I hadn't seen any pictures of kitty when I sent the e-mail to DCL, I was afraid their reply might be "Cat, what cat?" I should have known my fellow DISers wouldn't steer my wrong.

Do you know if kitty hangs out anywhere in particular? I'd love to get a glimpse of him (her? them?) during my next visit.

Okay, I don't really have news about the island itself. But, for those who were wondering how the Castaway Cay Cat fared during the storm, I received an e-mail from DCL yesterday that confirmed that "...all cast members were evacuated from Castaway Cay, including the cat..."

Phew! It always bothers me what helpless animals must go through at times like these. I'm glad to hear kitty is okay.

We could ask my cat--she ran out of the house during evac and we were unable to get her she's show stubborn--I'm sure she has some stories to tell. My other 4 were safe in the house--and I was concerned about Pumpkin during our 4 day evacuation. I was reassured by friends and others that animals do their best to "hide" from the danger and sure enough, she managed to do so. Just not sure how. :confused3

Should have known from how well she hid from us when we tried to capture her.

Glad to hear the CC kitty is REAL and okay!

The 9/11 Magic will be the first back to the island on Friday, 9/17.

Erin :D

Glad to hear that the Magic is going this week....

However....Those in DCL reservations won't admit to that....

This morning they said they still have to dredge.......

If anyone is live on the Magic friday, please send me proof that the island is ok.....

(So I can sleep at night.....My cruise is in two weeks)

:boat:

Just to confirm, it was just announced on ship that we are going to CC on Friday!

We're pulling out of San Juan tonight and heading to Nassau instead of St. Thomas because of Jeanne. We will be in Nassau on Thursday and Castaway Cay on Friday!

It's pretty dreary here in San Juan. It's mostly cloudy and we've had rain off an on, ranging from drizzle to downpour. It's still very warm and humid. I'm hoping that we'll be out of the way of the storm before the seas get too rough!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter