Any news on Castaway Cay? Please post here if you hear anything

Beside assessing damage and prep for next ship, perhaps the remaining crew is left there to feed various critters -- stingrays, crabs, etc...a thought.

I am wondering whether having a crew remaining there might not also be a security measure. I am sure that some of the infrastructure there is quite valuable and if there is no one around for a long time, someone from a neighboring island might think it is an easy way to replace their damaged generator by picking one up on the deserted Castaway Cay...

That sounds reasonable. I think the crew stays there to get it cleaned up as soon as possible. If everyone is removed from the island it could be awhile to get them back.

I am wondering whether having a crew remaining there might not also be a security measure. I am sure that some of the infrastructure there is quite valuable and if there is no one around for a long time, someone from a neighboring island might think it is an easy way to replace their damaged generator by picking one up on the deserted Castaway Cay...
Well they better bring some buddies with them! Those generators are not like you can pick them up! hey are the size of a large SUV and weigh around 6 tons!

Any news on your daughter?
All the staff are fine, the storm was not as bad as expected. As a matter of fact they did not even have to sit the whole storm out in the shelter, the were allowed to go back to their own rooms. The buildings are all fine. Now the hard work starts to unpack every thing again and get the beaches ready for the ships to come in...it is really a lot of hard work ahead. Their communication is still down, but they were all given a call home from the satellite phone, I was over the moon when I got a call at 2.27am, best call ever...one happy and relieved mom

All the staff are fine, the storm was not as bad as expected. As a matter of fact they did not even have to sit the whole storm out in the shelter, the were allowed to go back to their own rooms. The buildings are all fine. Now the hard work starts to unpack every thing again and get the beaches ready for the ships to come in...it is really a lot of hard work ahead. Their communication is still down, but they were all given a call home from the satellite phone, I was over the moon when I got a call at 2.27am, best call ever...one happy and relieved mom
We all very much appreciate the cast members' hard work!
Thank you!
Very happy to hear they are all well and it was not as bad as feared!

How scary. After you hear from her please post details of how they managed. We were on the first cruise after Hurricane Sandy and the island crew worked so hard to clean up the damage.

You said lots of the island crew are foreigners. Where are you from?
South Africa

You and your daughter are in my thoughts. I know how terrified my own parents would be in this situation, and my heart really goes out to you. If you haven't already gotten in contact with her, please PM me and I'll try to help you find a number to call.
Thank you very much, but she did call me at 2.27am from the satellite phone, they were all given a call home as the communication was down, still not 100%, but we are one very happy relieved family

Thigman!! I'm so relieved and happy for you, the cast and for Castaway itself! It was a really close call. Hope you'll stick around with us, we are happy to have you! :)

I'm so happy that everyone stayed safe!
Also thankful that the island fared well.
Thank you so much to all the CMs for weathering out the scary storm and for all the hard work preparing the island!

There was another post -- probably on the big hurricane thread -- where someone posted that there is still a very small skeleton crew on the island, and they had tweeted the cat was in the storm shelter with them. :cat: I can't imagine riding out this storm in a storm shelter on that island!
I just got off the dream yesterday and we were told all crew members were safe and that they didn't even go to the hurricane shelter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter