• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any news on Castaway Cay? Please post here if you hear anything

Surely Disney wouldn't leave people on a wee island with no proper shelter

Why would anyone stay on CC with a hurricane coming

I am from UK. Am I missing something

Can someone plz explain to me why disney would leave people on CC with a hurricane going there

It is my understanding that Disney does have a "Ride Out" team who remains on Castaway Cay during a hurricane, just as they have teams who remain physically within the closed parks, to monitor the situation and give initial assessment of damages. I assume there is a strongly built hurricane shelter that keeps them safe during the worst of the storm. Most employees who work on the island were reported evacuated last weekend.

As other posters have mentioned, there are jobs where essential personnel need to be in place for the business to run when needed. If Disney plans to leave personnel on the island during a hurricane when some were evacuated it makes sense that there is an adequate shelter. Those 80 CM aren't stupid, they wouldn't stay if there was not a shelter. The cat 4 went over Nassau too. No guarantee it would be safer there.

My guess the reason people remain on the island is so they can start the clean up process right away.

14516424_10104421823167847_7284587631316370442_n.jpg
14523248_10104421823282617_8947310256140332408_n.jpg

We leave on the 10/17 on the Dream too. I'm thinking we may not get to CC. If we have to stay at sea that day then so be it. Just being on the Dream itself is special in itself! :cool1:
We are on that cruise too, I'm still really hoping for a stop in CC

Where are these on the island? I know there are places 'backstage.'

No clue, I assume in the back of the island where we can't see, and where the people that are residents of the island actually live (lifeguards, etc.).

If you search on one of these threads, someone posted a google earth image that shows a large cluster of buildings on the island that the general public can't see.

According to the Disney Cruise website as of today, they still plan to visit Castaway Cay during the 10/8 (now 10/9) Fantasy sailing and the 10/10 Dream sailing so I presume the damage to Castaway Cay must be fairly manageable.

We're scheduled to be on the 10/17 Dream sailing *waves to fellow passengers*

My thoughts are with the CC staff. They're utterly incredible.

See you all on the 17th and we will be on Castaway Cay! Enough of the death and destruction, this isnt the Weather Channel. The Bahamas got a storm, it was not nearly as bad as predicted, all has been well for days. Port C is business as usual, no damage. WDW no damage...Lets Go!

The captain here on the Dream told us that CC had sustained very little damage. There is a ride-out crew on the island that can sustain greater than Cat 5 winds and more than a 10ft storm surge. (From Captaon Thorg on Dream- 10/07- before 8:30 show.)

Thanks for posting. Another Oct. 17th cruiser, and it's nice to know there might be a glimmer of hope. I find myself checking out Cozumel right now just in case. It would be a miracle to make it to CC. This cruise is scheduled for Nassau, CC, Sea. So I'm ok with sea, cc, sea. I haven't heard too much about Nassau yet. Taking a break today from TWC and actually trying to pack. We leave next Saturday.

We did Cozumel and Costa Maya- plus lots of other weirdness- lots of shore excursions available for both (we did Mr Sanchos on our own in Cozumel- super easy), and just shopped in Costa Maya. I think they will get you to CC- they seem pretty determined not to do this again any time soon- lol!

We did Cozumel and Costa Maya- plus lots of other weirdness- lots of shore excursions available for both (we did Mr Sanchos on our own in Cozumel- super easy), and just shopped in Costa Maya. I think they will get you to CC- they seem pretty determined not to do this again any time soon- lol!

I just wanted to say thank you for spending time posting on here! It is really nice for us who have cruises in the near future and just for general interest to see who DCL is dealing with this and what kind of info they gave you. I really appreciate that you took the time to keep us all informed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter