Any new great dishes that you tried on your Thanksgiving?

java

<font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B
Here it was the tipsy sweet potato recipe I got from the dis. It's actually a jack Daniels recipe. So yummy! That one staying on the menu next year.

Here it was the tipsy sweet potato recipe I got from the dis. It's actually a jack Daniels recipe. So yummy! That one staying on the menu next year.

I am trying that one soon. In our family we always have thick slices of sweet potatoes, not mashed. So I tried out your recipe before Thanksgiving, with thick slices of sweet potatoes. DH thought it was way too sweet, sticky. I did boil the butter, JD, and sugar... but next time I will use more butter, OR follow as recipe was written ;)

I made Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, and took them to DHs family feast. There were 28 of us there and LOTS of desserts...pies, etc. Everyone loved the Whoopie Pies. I took 32 of them and they were gone! This is the third time I've made them this season, they are on the keep list.

I made-up a dip recipe that I will be using. I love the little dessert dips mixes you buy at the specialty food stores, but I am cheap and decided to try one out using dry pudding mix instead. It was a big hit! I used a tub of cool whip, a brick of cream cheese and a box of chocolate turtle jello pudding mix and just mixed it all together. My mom and DDIL and DD sat and at the whole thing!

Ellie Kriegers Green Bean Cassarole,mix and match stuffing with apples, cranberries,and wild rice and rosemary lemon butter for seasoning the bird-all from Food network magazine.
Also in 30 years as a fairly successful cook i never had good success with gravy-following their directions my gravy ROCKED

I tweaked a recipe for cauliflower au gratin for my SIL because he follows a fairly low carb diet lifestyle. I loved the dish, as did a lot of the family, and will be making it in the future. Unfortunately my SIL didn't like it, eeekk! He is not a fan of mushrooms (I didn't remember that) and that's one of the main ingredients outside of the cauliflower and cheddar cheese. I don't know if it will taste very good without them but I'm thinking of trying it again soon for him minus mushrooms and see if he likes it. I want him to have lots of choices at our holiday meals.

Hey Katy, could you share that Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pie recipe? That would be a hit here as well. We had 2 turkeys, one a traditional sage and butter herb, the other, a maple cranberry that was fabulous! Also, broccoli roasted with garlic, fresh breadcrumbs and bleu cheese was excellent as well. Both are keepers!

Chris

I made cornbread stuffing instead of using regular white bread this year. It was the first time that I had done it and people loved it.

I was drooling over Bobby Flay's brussel sprouts in his Thanksgiving Throwdown show with Ree Drummond. So I got the approval from my family to make them with Thanksgiving dinner. I didn't follow his recipe, too tricky for us, so instead, I just coated them lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper, (cut in half) and pan cooked them. I hit them with a tad of balsamic vinegar and butter at the end and they were delicious. All three of my kids loved them too! Who would have ever thunk it?? Brussel sprouts!!

Not a dish, but my mom brought chocolate raspberry wine to Thanksgiving dinner that was a big hit. I don't like wine, but I really liked this. It probably took me 30 minutes to sip an ounce of it though. I'm not a big drinker and it was quite strong for me.

At church on Wednesday someone brought a Poor Man's Pecan Pie - pecan pie with rolled oats instead of pecans. I loved it so much I made one when I got home that night and it is soooooo good! I just had another tiny slice with a dollop of cinnamon whipped cream. I have renamed it Nut Hater's Pecan Pie.

butternut squash with honey and lavender. I found the recipe online. Everyone loved it.

I discovered I like sweet potatoes at Boma and have always wanted to try something with them but DH is not a fan. but this year I decided to do it anyway and made a casserole. OMG! It was so good...my favorite thing! DD also made a great dish of greens with bacon and onions! Everything was fantastic this year.

At church on Wednesday someone brought a Poor Man's Pecan Pie - pecan pie with rolled oats instead of pecans. I loved it so much I made one when I got home that night and it is soooooo good! I just had another tiny slice with a dollop of cinnamon whipped cream. I have renamed it Nut Hater's Pecan Pie.

I have to ahve this recipe! My husband loves pecan pies, but one of our kids doesn't do nuts due to allergies.

Not a recipe and it's something most people can probably do blindfolded, but for the first time ever I managed to make a pie crust for my pumpkin pie that not only baked through (I am notorious for serving undercooked pastry shells :guilty: ) but was light and flakey as well - will be repeating that recipe! :cool1:

I made Pecan Cheesecake Pie. Got the recipe from Southern Living online. Very good- kind of a cross between cheesecake and pecan pie.

I made Israeli cous cous with apples and dried cranberries in a maple syrup/apple cider vinaigrette. Major hit.

I have to ahve this recipe! My husband loves pecan pies, but one of our kids doesn't do nuts due to allergies.

I would love the nut hater pecan pie recipe!!!!

I used the recipe from allrecipes.com - I looked at several and decided this one looked the best. I did not have dark corn syrup, so I used about 3/4 cup of light corn syrup and 1/4 cup of molasses instead. I really liked the molasses flavor, so next time I may go 1/2 and 1/2. Also next time I may put in more oatmeal.

My waistline is very fortunate I did not discover this pie earlier in life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter