• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any new details on the 125 pt min rumored date? Also which resort has the best value for direct points?

Theta

DIS Veteran
Thinking about jumping into the direct buying pond before the increase. I plan to buy BCV resale but would also like a small direct contract. Was thinking about CCV, but read the difficulty getting studios there, even at 11 month mark. This small contract would just be for a couples trip and we can be flexible with the resort. Which property has the best value now?

Thinking about AKV if it is in the top 3 for value.

AKV is in my top three in direct perk value for me. (OKW, SSR, AKV). Buying a direct AKV I think has a bonus perk with the option if you ever decide to book a club concierge level villa. Can look at availability at 11 months since rooms are limited in number.

While OKW and SSR are lower cost per point ($165 vs $186) and SSR has lower dues, I personally feel that AKV is the better choice. Longer contract than SSR. Likely more demand if you need to rent out points. Gives you a shot at Value and Concierge rooms. And just overall is a unique and beautiful resort!

Of course, my opinion is biased as I do own there, and it’s a close second as my favorite Disney Resort. :-)

CCV is pretty expensive at $220 per point. And because a lot of those points are from cabins, it makes studios hard to get the whole year. Of course, if that's what you really want --studios at CCV -- then home ownership there makes a lot of sense.
AKV and Riviera may be the best "value." Riviera at $195 per point, and lower with incentives. Considering you get another 49 years with it too. AKV is $176 per point, about the same as Riviera with incentives, but only 37 more years, which is still a lot of time. And as mentioned, home ownership at AKV gives you access to "value studios" and concierge rooms, which are almost impossible to book at 7 months.
OKW and SSR are the cheapest, but they are less desirable for a reason, and the contracts are a little shorter. (Both significantly shorter than CCV and AKV, OKW being the same as AKV, SSR being a few years shorter).

Now, arguably... the best "value" is something like Hilton Head or Vero Beach -- much cheaper. But if you're comfortable with some of those couples weekends at those resorts, and others booked at the 7 month mark, it can be a great value.

SSR isn't just cheap to buy in, but it has low dues, that means it'll be even cheaper in the long run. Unless you don't like SSR and would rather stay at AKV if you cannot switch, SSR is still king for SAP (Sleep around points). I wouldn't focus too much on the different lenght of contract between SSR, AKV and the others. Who knows what'll happen 30 years from now, maybe there will be a zombie apocalypse in 2050 or (scarier!) you might get bored of going every year to Disney and sell. Money you pay now weight more than a room in 2060.

IMO, the best value is a resort at which you want to stay and one for which you need the 11 month booking window.

SAP can be a very good value, but getting what you want, where you want at 7 months is never guaranteed (especially for studios) and the 7 month window is becoming more challenging to use successfully. Let your heart have input to your decision as well as your brain. Vacations are a luxury - don't waste them buying something that won't bring you joy!

I recently went through trying to decide where to buy for the blue card benefits. I already own resale akv and decided to get OKW direct. AKV is definitely one of the best values to buy direct with OKW and SSR being other good values direct. Just look at all the benefits of each resort when making a decision. AKV value and concierge rooms can be very difficult to get even at 11 months, so don't depend on those every year if that's part of your decision. AKV is a beautiful resort, point chart is good and is a unique resort experience. I also like OKW, it has the largest rooms of any DVC property and point chart is also a good value. OKW has a very relaxed atmosphere compared to other resorts and just has a different feel to it. I have never stayed at SSR because the theme didn't interest me at all but it's a good value too.

Thanks for your opinions!

Is October 1st the increase to 125 will take affect or has it been pushed to middle of October?

Thanks for your opinions!

Is October 1st the increase to 125 will take affect or has it been pushed to middle of October?
I think it's the middle of October. I think I read that people was thinking it would change October 19th. As long as you sign your contract before the change you'll be grandfathered in with the blue card

I bought AKV for my direct points because I love the resort and would happily stay there if I couldn’t swap out at 7 months. I don’t know who loves seeing the giraffes more, me or my DD. That said, the rental value is probably higher than SSR and OKW with rental interest, if that’s important to you. I’ve also had luck getting value 1-bedrooms.

Deb

This is a very similar decision I'm trying to make, but I'd narrowed ours to AKV or CCV. Let us know what you do!

Thinking about jumping into the direct buying pond before the increase. I plan to buy BCV resale but would also like a small direct contract. Was thinking about CCV, but read the difficulty getting studios there, even at 11 month mark. This small contract would just be for a couples trip and we can be flexible with the resort. Which property has the best value now?

Thinking about AKV if it is in the top 3 for value.
When you say value what do you mean? Vs renting points? The cheapest ones have the most value, with OKW eking out SSR due to the 3 extra years, and AKV third (or RIV depending how many points you buy)

Vs cash? I’d need to run the numbers which is hard to do when a lot of resorts don’t have 2021 rates posted, but I would guess BLT or Poly probably wins there. AKL hotel rooms are some of the cheapest Deluxes on property, often half or even less than half of GF for the same nights, so the “value” becomes much worse. Speculating based on room costs, CCV is probably the worst value vs cash stays followed by some mix of SSR BRV and BCV, and I’d guess AKV is probably the next tier.

CCV is pretty expensive at $220 per point. And because a lot of those points are from cabins, it makes studios hard to get the whole year. Of course, if that's what you really want --studios at CCV -- then home ownership there makes a lot of sense.
AKV and Riviera may be the best "value." Riviera at $195 per point, and lower with incentives. Considering you get another 49 years with it too. AKV is $176 per point, about the same as Riviera with incentives, but only 37 more years, which is still a lot of time. And as mentioned, home ownership at AKV gives you access to "value studios" and concierge rooms, which are almost impossible to book at 7 months.
OKW and SSR are the cheapest, but they are less desirable for a reason, and the contracts are a little shorter. (Both significantly shorter than CCV and AKV, OKW being the same as AKV, SSR being a few years shorter).

Now, arguably... the best "value" is something like Hilton Head or Vero Beach -- much cheaper. But if you're comfortable with some of those couples weekends at those resorts, and others booked at the 7 month mark, it can be a great value.

This is a common misconception. When you factor in the MF, HHI and VBR are far from being great value. I don't follow direct prices, so I can't comment on values based on those. But from a resale standpoint, SSR is often considered the best in value after factoring in MF as long as one is happy staying there when the 7 month window availability at other resorts is limited.

LAX

I think it's the middle of October. I think I read that people was thinking it would change October 19th. As long as you sign your contract before the change you'll be grandfathered in with the blue card
My guide told me multiple times it was going to be 10/1

I would guess BLT is the best value now, but I have not run the numbers lately. I know the demand for BLT rentals are far greater than most other resorts.

I talked to a guide yesterday about purchasing direct at SSR or OKW and he told me the minimum is at 125 points right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter