Any moms go alone with their kids?

I took my 4 yo and 6 month old last year. My mom did come, but wasn't too much help. I'll be taking my son again, he'll be almost in December all by myself this year. I'm excited about it actually.

I'm taking my girls (5 and 8) in December and during Spring Break solo. My DH doesn't get much vacation time, and we just joined DVC. I'm looking forward to some girl time!

akamom said:
I took my 4 yo and 6 month old last year. My mom did come, but wasn't too much help. I'll be taking my son again, he'll be almost in December all by myself this year. I'm excited about it actually.
You just reminded me my last trip I took my DD4 and my FIL who does not speak or read English and is a little unaware of the modern world. I know I had 2 kids on that trip!

I take DS7 and DD3 by myself. Our August trip will be our 3rd trip alone. Before that I took DS in 2002 for a mother/son trip.

It can be difficult at times with 2 tired children and one parent, but it can be done. The kids get to make a lot more decisions during our trips now than when our trips were with me and their dad together. It makes for a less troublesome trip.

Single mom of 1 child (dd 7 ) who also is on Austism Spectrum w/ Sensory Intergration Dysfunction
Will be first time at WDW (end of Sept) for both of us. :thumbsup2

mercydisney said:
The 1st trip solo w/my DD's was when DD now 6 was 2 and DD now 11 was 7.
It was for 3 days, (Every yr we go we have added a day) we have now made it a family tradition to go every yr in Sept. for my B'day. This is my B'day present to myself. :goodvibes The best present I can give myself is the time I can spend w/my girls and my favorite man Mickey Mouse, :love: , Don't tell DH).
In all honesty I could bring DH but that's like bringing another child, "I'm hungry, I'm tired, Can we go swim." So that child I leave at home. For some reason he doesn't like Mickey, :confused3
I also live about 45 min. from DW, last yr was the 1st time I took a day tripw/ the girls alone. I enjoyed it and have gone back for day trips many times.

PS. Me and DH do celebrate my B'day together, he just does not want MM to join us. :confused3

Wow, someone else has a DH that acts like a child when it comes to Disney too? Imagine that!!! I have not taken my kids alone to Disney yet, but probably will next October. My DH is not a Disney fan and never will be. I figure my kids are only young once and I want to enjoy our time together(they are 9 and 5 now). If that means taking them to Disney by myself, then so be it! My DH has an obsession with radio control airplanes, and mine is with Disney. We both agree not to ruin each others fun. My DH went with us in June, but he got sick on the trip which didn't help. He did have some fun, but was only thinking about work back home. So, I plan to go "solo" with my kids next time unless my DH changes his mind at the last minute.

As a single parent if I didn't take them by myself I would never go anywhere. I have been traveling with my two since they were small. When they were young it was not much of a vacation some times. Now that they are teens and one of them can drive we go anywhere we want or at least can afford. As a small troop we have four trips to Disney.

My DH used to go with us, but now we make it a traditional girls trip (me, DD 18 & 15) Their not babies anymore, but we have such a blast!

Taking my ten year old to Disney, Seaworld, Universal and Discovery Cove by myself! Can't wait!

Charleyann :wave: :wave: :wave:

Another single mom here - I've been taking the kids to local places by myself since DD was 4 and DS wasn't even a year old: we went to zoos, water parks, amusement parks, state fair, museums. It never occurred to me to worry about taking them to WDW! Our first trip I brought my mom along, more as a treat to her than to help out - she was recovering from heart and back surgeries and in a wheelchair, so it was definitely more work than help! We've been back several times (see sig) as well as on a whale watch and other trips - I love spending that time with the kids, and it has never been difficult managing everything alone.

samano said:
I have had to politely decline several offers from friends and family to join us on this trip. It really surprised me how many different people "offered" to come come along when I mentioned my plans. This is our family vacation, and I can hardly wait!! :goodvibes

This drives me crazy! I had a neighbor offer to accompany us so that we'd feel safer - why??? And then there's the coworker who *always* invites herself and her children along with us because she does not feel comfortable taking them by herself. She always changes her mind when I tell her we fly down, though - she's also angling for the free transportation, assuming we drive. Some people are genuinely concerned for us, and I get it, but it's *our* time together, and I love it, too! 23 days to go!!! :woohoo:

Everytime I see a question like this I think, what do people think single parents stay home and hibernate?

I have gone to Disneland solo w/ my 2 girls numerous times. Planed on going to WDW solo but my mom invited herself.

I have taken my daughters all over the world just the three of us. My mom used to heavily hint about joining us, and did in fact, a few times... but we are so active (see our 4 WDW parks in a single day thread!) that it's nearly impossible to accommodate Klingons. Even DBF who runs marathons teases me about keeping up...

:sunny:

My DH is a Pilot in the Navy and is gone quite a bit, so I have taken my 3 DS's to WDW by myself, they were 8, 6 and 3 at the time. I am taking them again in Feb.

We have even met up with another mom (Navy wife as well) and her three kids. We were quite a sight. Two moms and their six kids sitting down for lunch at Chefs de France.

When I was little, my mom was a single mom and I remember countless trips to Disneyland with just her and I.

ETA: oh man, I posted under my DH's newly added screen name. He likes to lurk and see what I am talking about ;)

disneychrista said:
Everytime I see a question like this I think, what do people think single parents stay home and hibernate?

I have gone to Disneland solo w/ my 2 girls numerous times. Planed on going to WDW solo but my mom invited herself.

No we don't think that but it's a little different when you are a married couple with kids, leaving a spouse/mom/dad behind. Its just not the same, IMHO.

I've brought my girls alone twice now and we're going again this August. It's an extra, free dining trip, we still take our regular family trip in the Fall.

It's a different kind of trip for us, but still great fun. I like being able to do a girls only trip and then our regular family trip each year, and luckily we've been able to do just that for the past 3 years. :woohoo:

ExPirateShopGirl said:
I have taken my daughters all over the world just the three of us.

I can't wait to do this with my DD (she's too young to appreciate it now). Both of my parents did a lot of world traveling in their younger single days and didn't want to do it when I came along.

I find it a lot more fun to do solo traveling. It's one less opinion to deal with :rotfl2:

I would take my kids any where without another adult.

When my eldest was 7 we went to WDW for 8 days, just the 2 of us. We had the time of our lives. I actually think that we had a better time without her dad because like a lot of men he is driven by meal times. :rotfl2: We did what we wanted without worrying about how close to dinner time it was.

Last year we did the family WDW trip and next time dad is NOT going. It will be mom and the kids only. :banana:

Hello. I'm heading to WDW with my kids (DD3 & DS5) in the middle of December. I take them every week each summer on a day trip, so I've gotten used to being alone with them. This will be my first solo trip to WDW since my seperation from my husband. I can't wait!

I am a divorced mom of 3 and since my divorce (3 years) I decided that we are going to take a yearly vacation no matter what. When I was with Dh we had only 2 vacations in 20 years - one was to family in TN. We always go to Orlando. I have no problem taking them and heading out anywhere though. WE go all over the place here and hit the ocean at least once each summer here. I have 2 ds now 14 and 9 and DD is 7. They get along well and are happy to be at Disney of course. Last year we also did SeaWorld and Universal. It was great. I have no problem at all taking them anywhere. We are thinking about a cruise or Disney Land next year.

I am going to WDW in 22 days with five kids ages 12,11,8,and twin 1 1/2 year olds without my husband due to his work. My stepsister and her husband will be there also with there 5 kids. I'm used to going alot of places just with my kids as my husband puts in alot of hours at work. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter