• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any middle aged tent campers out there?

westjones

DIS Veteran
DH won't pull our popup camper anywhere except local places (so no FW camping for camper). We used to tent camp and still have all the equipment.

The thing is, we are in our late 40's and well, I am thinking we are beyong the tent camping phase in life---although I think I could still handle it.....but then I was wondering, are there any tent campers out in their late 40s early 50s? Do you enjoy it?

Thanks!
DJ

I'm in my early 40's and still enjoy tent camping. However, I have added an air mattress cot to my must haves. I don't sleep on the ground any more.

(My son's Scoutmaster is in his 50's and is backpacking out at Philmont Scout Reservation right now, so yes older folks still tent camp!!)

The wife & I are pushing 50 and we have been taking our pop up to Ft Wilderness for the last 5 years. We have two daughters, 1 son in law, & 2 grandkids with us and we have a great time. We can go crazy in the parks all day or relax at the campground. When I start pushing 80, I might change my mind.

Forty? That seems awfully young to have this concern. Please understand me, but at 48 I now understand what the saying "life begins at 40" really means...

Go, camp, sing, dance, ENJOY! :banana:

My DH and I are in our early 40's and still tent camp. However we do use an air mattress. It does seem that the older we get the further it is from the ground to standing up. I'm pushing for a pop-up so we can get off the ground totally. I enjoy camping but the older I get the harder the ground seems the get.

My mom is 59 and still likes to camp with her girls (planning a backyard campout with her DGDs3 & 3mos. this summer). Her air mattresses have gotten thicker over the years, but I'll bet she'll keep right on tent camping well into and beyond her 60s.

Thanks everyone! I am glad to hear that there are others out there tent camping in their 40s and 50s.
DJ

My in-laws one approaching 70 the other 67 just bought a new tent couple of years ago and are never at home in the summer. Upgraded to a folding camper few months ago (do you have them in the USA) like a caravan on the bottom but a fold out canvas top. They inherited some money from my mil's mother aged mid 90's who died last year. So if they live as long, they've got plenty of nights under the stars to look forward to. We are in out mid 40's and most of our holidays are taken in our folding camper, splash out on hiring a cottage in the winter months, and definitely splashing out next year to come your side of the water to the Yacht Club.

yes I do need an air mattress. Come to think of it, I have always needed one.

DH really doesn't like to do the ground anymore either, but does with the Scouts quite often-he's a Scoutmaster. Matter of fact they just spent a week on the deck of a sailboat--yes sleeping out on the deck under the stars. I am convinced that this is what will keep us young (yes, I keep telling myself that!)

I really don't like to be on the ground for more than a night or 2. If we are camping more than 2 nights I bring the air mattress.

Have fun!!!

I am a 45 female, solo tent camper. I had stopped tent camping about 9 yrs ago, back when air mattresses were nothing more than pool rafts :rotfl: . I just couldn't handle the hard ground. But last year got back into the tent, with 8" high Coleman Queen size air mattress. Lets just say it makes tent camping a little better. Though I am seriously looking at some very small tent campers that can be pulled by a car. Though I like tent camping, I would like to have the bed a bit higher off the ground.

Just got home a few hours from a weekend tent camping trip. Very nice weather, kept nice and warm.

Just wish I didn't have to keep waking up at 2am to go...tinkle!! lol. :rotfl2:

My husband and I both turned 50 last year and we spent a full week tent camtping last AUgust. We had a great time. We also use a cot sometimes and/or a good mat.

PS My husband is also at Philmont this week with my younger son.

I love tent camping, but I find at my well-advanced age (okay, only 45, buy really grumpy!) I can't take the noise of other campers. I'd have to be at a really quiet area to enjoy myself.
That being said, I'm looking into a truck camper...hoping that the metal/fiberglass sides will quiet things down for me just enough to enjoy camping again.

I am 50 and DH is 46. We love tent camping and go all over the country camping. FW is our #1 and the National Parks are 2nd. We now use our Aero bed, the good kind.( I know they cost close to 200.00 but worth it) Our last visit to FW we slept on the Aero bed for 10 nights and then stayed at the WL for 3 nights. I had the worst time falling asleep. The Aero bed in the tent was more comfy than the beds at the WL. We are going back to the WL next month for 10 nights. Do you think I should bring the Aero with me? LOL :rotfl2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

We've never camped at FW, but tent camp every year on our bike vacation. We do use air mattresses though, but I would love to get a pop-up to spend the week (or more!) at FW.
Just had to reply as my DH and DS are as I speak on a plane headed to Philmont to backpack for 12 days! DH actually will be turning 50 on the first day of their trek, so you're never too old. DD and I will "camp" at a former Yogi Bear campground while they're away, in my in-laws' park model trailer. Not quite roughing it, but at least we get away.

Lynn

I'm 49 and while I still love to tent, my back can't take the hard ground. Even with a blow-up bed. So we bought a pop-up a couple years ago and we have pulled it to FW once--going again in November :thumbsup2 Our pop-up is small and bathroom-less, so we still have the feeling of tent camping. We eat outdoors and live outdoors unless there is a driving rainstorm. I find the greatest advantage of the pop-up is that it's already packed--all i have to do it hitch up. But I still love the smell of canvas when I go to bed. :goodvibes

I think this must differ depending on each person's personality and preferences. I tent camped with my family and my son's boy scout troop back in May. It was my first camping experience in 22 years. I did bring an air mattress and could not have done without it. There are other issues that come with camping which are of greater concern to me, however. I can't stand getting dirt in the tent, and yet it is almost futile to prevent it. And in trying to prevent it, you make your fellow tent-mates stressed-out and miserable! :guilty: I also really don't like public washrooms/ bathrooms. And since I am 40, like 99% of the rest of the women my age, I have to make a midnight run to the bathroom in my nightwear - a dreaded expedition. We also were there on a weekend of the DW grad nights. Let's just say we were treated to pulsing bass notes that seemed to magnify in intensity as they wafted across the water to our campground. WONKA-WONKA-WONKA til 3 am every night! :crazy: Still in all, the first night was ok...but after the second night, dh and I were totally drained. As he put it, "I feel like I just slept in a tent last night!" :teeth:

In summary, tent camping is not for me. I am glad I went and we did have some good memories, but dh and ds will be going solo next time. I think we are all happy with that decision! :rotfl:

6IrishDisneyKids said:
We also were there on a weekend of the DW grad nights. Let's just say we were treated to pulsing bass notes that seemed to magnify in intensity as they wafted across the water to our campground. WONKA-WONKA-WONKA til 3 am every night! :crazy: Still in all, the first night was ok...but after the second night, dh and I were totally drained. As he put it, "I feel like I just slept in a tent last night!" :teeth:

:lmao: I'm sorry, but this just struck me as hilarious! :rotfl2:

We also have a big popup (Coleman Westlake) w/ a bathroom. I love it but hate towing it. When I bought it my DH told me he would not camp! So it is my 2 kids and I. This year my son turned 16 and has decided he no longer wants to camp this summer. So DD11 and I have started tent camping again. I already had everything we have fold out cots that you put a nice airmattress on. It is rather comfy. I think next spring I would like to take DD and the tent to FW. I just can't see myself pulling the camper that far by myself. Besides we seem to end up with a flat on one vehicle or the other and although we have the towing/flat change coverage it still seems to waste a whole day getting a spare.

I just turned 54 and was out looking at a backpacking tent to use in the years ahead. Nope, "middle age" isn't too old to tent camp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter