• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Michiganders or nearby?

Ok so we are from Southwest Michigan, near Grand Rapids actually. We are heading to the World in February and have decided with a family of 6 to brave the drive. Now the question is how on earth do we get there? I have done mapquest/yahoo/google maps. I am just not sure which way is the best as I do not know the main highways well and don't know which ones to avoid or anything.

Now my idea was to get to I-69 and take that to I-65 then to I-75 for the last leg of it down in GA. But for some reason no map program wants me to take that way, they want me to take all these funky little roads in Indiana which eventually do take me to I-65, but why not take the main highways in Michigan to get to I-69?

Also any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Like when a good time to leave is and how much time to allow. I am figuring about 20hrs of actual driving time, plus breaks and all that so maybe 25hrs travel time. Is that about right or am I totally off? We are not stopping at a hotel on the way down but on the way back we are.

I'm actually a teacher in Marshall, MI. We usually fly to Disney, but I think it would be best if you went I-69, to I-65 to I-75. I tried MapQuest from Grand Rapids and that is the way they suggest.

Have a great trip!

If you are intent on coming down I-69, I would recommend coming down the East side of Indy and picking up I-74 to I-75 in Cincinnati. It's more in the "right direction" for getting to Disney if you know what I mean.

Alternatively, you could possibly pick up I-75 in Toledo Ohio without going down I-69.

I like to play around on Google Maps for setting a route. You can actually drag the route line to major roads or around cities you want to bypass.

I live in Lansing and have driven to WDW many times. If I were you, I would forget that I-69, I-65 route altogether. Take I-96 E/B to US-23 S/B to I-75 all the way to Florida. Your travel times are about right, just plan on hitting Atlanta during Non Rush Hour. Just my humble opinion. Have a safe and pleasant drive.

We live in Fort Wayne, right off 69 and we're doing the 69 to 65 to 75 route. When I asked (on these boards) about directly picking up 75 in Ohio and going straight there, I was told it was a huge hassle and to pick up 65 in Indy and take it to 75. We used to drive to Pensacola all the time and we would shoot straight down 65 and that is familiar to me, so we will do that and pick up 75.

I-69 @ I-465 (as you hit Indy) would be best avoided between 7 and 8:30 in the AM.

I live in Lansing and have driven to WDW many times. If I were you, I would forget that I-69, I-65 route altogether. Take I-96 E/B to US-23 S/B to I-75 all the way to Florida. Your travel times are about right, just plan on hitting Atlanta during Non Rush Hour. Just my humble opinion. Have a safe and pleasant drive.

That was my thought also but then again I don't live on that side of the state. Purchase the book Along I-75 by Dave Hunter. Takes you all the way to the end of Georgia. Alot of useful and fun information. Susan

Six of one...half dozen of another...I'm ALL the way in SW MI (15 miles from the IN border). Mapquest puts the the 65 route about 30 minutes faster. What I would do, and I did for my drives down, is figure out what time you want to leave and figure out where you would be at what times. This could potentially decide for you. You definately want to avoid the big cities at rush hour. Going 65 you have Fort Wayne, Indy, Louisville and Nashville before picking up 75 in Chatanooga. Going 75 all the way you would have Lansing, Ann Arbor, Toledo, Cinci, Lexington and Knoxville. Plus for me there is a mental componet when I have gone either way. I found the drive to be easier mentally when there is always a target to drive to in 3-4 hours. That seems to more be the case on the 65 route. If you got on 75 in Toledo, you wouldn't get off it for nearly 1,000 miles. My butt hurts just thinking about it. I think that you drive time estimates are spot on. Mapquest told us 18 1/2 hours and it gnerally takes about 21-22. I don't know if you are planning on spending the night in a hotel somewhere, but if you are not, maybe you could keep your route fluid. As you are well aware, the lake effect snow can be murder that time of year. If you were planning on going the 65 route and the lake effect pops up, you could always switch before leaving to the 75 route. That would get you out of the lake effect much faster. On the worst days, the lake effect can reach all the way to Fort Wayne, IN. Good luck.

I-69 @ I-465 (as you hit Indy) would be best avoided between 7 and 8:30 in the AM.

+1

Unless it's a Saturday or Sunday when you are driving through. I don't find the traffic that bad on weekends (early mornings). Especially compared to traffic on weekdays during rush hour.

From Hastings, MI here. Not sure I would drive with the super cheap airfares out of GRR and DTW but if you drive the route though Indy take route 9 south on the east side of Indy. Nice drive. It is 1200 miles each way to Disney and at 0.50 a mile to drive it is cheaper to fly even for six people. Tickets out of GRR, non stop on Delta were $199 on delta, presidents week. Jerry

From Hastings, MI here. Not sure I would drive with the super cheap airfares out of GRR and DTW but if you drive the route though Indy take route 9 south on the east side of Indy. Nice drive. It is 1200 miles each way to Disney and at 0.50 a mile to drive it is cheaper to fly even for six people. Tickets out of GRR, non stop on Delta were $199 on delta, presidents week. Jerry

Yes but then you add $50 RT for each piece of luggage... well each first piece.. each additional piece is $70 RT.

Another Grand Rapidian here and we did the drive in Aug. 09. On the way down we took 196 to 94 to 65 to 75. We left at 3:30 am (on a Sat) and didn't have any traffic issues until we hit Atlanta (all lanes merging to one, it was HORRIBLE). We stayed in Macon, GA and from there it took another 5 hours to get to Disney. We pulled into POP about 1 p.m. on Sunday.

On the way home we took the same route until Indy, then we got on 69 and took that to 96. We did that because we knew there was a lot of construction on 65 and going through at 5 p.m. was much different than 5 a.m.

On the way home we stopped in Murfreesboro and that was about 10-12 hours from GR. We made the drive with two DD, 6 & 9 at the time, and they did well. Leaving early was the key and I would do it again (if I can't get cheap enough flights next time).

WOW thanks for all the great advice. I am going to have to look into the I-96 to US23 to I75 option. I thought I had it down pat. I have somewhat calculated times on where we would be at certain times, I was only aware of Atlanta being bad, I didnt' really put much thought into other major cities.

Our family has done the trip from Cadillac three times and have always gone down 1-75 the whole way. For us, it seems simple to get on one road and not have to worry about "what road do we take next", and secondly, 1-75 is the major artery to FL and services are plentiful most of the way. Cadillac to Orlando 24-1/2 hours.

Our next trip as a family is the last week of Feb and I am pretty set on flying from Flint to Orlando. Weather in Feb does not appeal to me since we are only there for 4 days. Best of Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter