Any MDE, Magic Band, or other complications from having 2 rooms?

Indecisive

Mouseketeer
My travel party is 3 adults and 2 kids (me, DH, "grandma" and 2 kids). I am thinking about trying to rent points for 2 Poly studios at the 7 month window. This will only be our second trip to WDW. On our first trip, we rented points at BLT for a 1-bedroom villa, so we were all in the same reservation. Everything went fine in terms of MDE, magic bands, etc.

The points broker has told me: "Your request for 2 Deluxe Studios would be worked as one whole reservation. In other words, we would release both requests together, ensuring that one DVC Member would secure both reservations...making it an 'all or nothing' situation." I assume this will be helpful as far as securing connecting rooms since both reservations will be in my name and through the same DVC Member (though I know connecting rooms is not a guaranty).

I am wondering how everything else works as far as MDE, magic bands, etc., if we have 2 rooms / reservations and whether there is anything I would need to do in order to make sure all goes smoothly? I don't know what, exactly, I am worried about, but maybe things like getting multiple sets of magic bands in the mail, or MDE only wanting to link to the guests listed in one of the reservations and not the other (I will be handling everyone's FP+ and ADRs--we will be doing everything together).

If my name is on both reservations, will I also need to be listed as a "guest" on both reservations? Or can I list my nuclear family as guests on one reservation and Grandma as the sole guest on the other reservation?

Maybe I am overthinking this and there will not be a problem at all, but if there are any quirky issues I should be aware of, please advise! Thank you so much!

It sounds like they simply are doing that in order to be certain of securing both rooms. Otherwise they would send out for 1 and 1 and if both aren't obtained then you'd have a problem. It should still be done like any reservation reserving 2 rooms and I'd do like you suggested of your family on one and grandma's on the other. Requests for connecting studios can be done at PVB and so far no reports of not getting them so you still could likely all be together.

To answer your question about problems with MDE and Magic Bands, if your name is on both reservations, I think you will have a problem with the magic bands. Your magic band(s) can only be active on one room at a time. Your magic band may work on one of the rooms or you may have to visit the front desk to have them activate the band for the correct room.

I would put different names on each reservation to make sure you don't have an issue with two active reservations pointing to the same person. Your plan to put Grandma on one reservation and the rest of the family on the other would work.

Thank you for your thoughts! I will ask the points broker for guidance as well. It seems like we should be able to work it out so that things don't get messed up! Thank you.

Or can I list my nuclear family as guests on one reservation and Grandma as the sole guest on the other reservation?
This is what you should do.

If Grandma doesn't have nor wants her own MDE account, you can add her to your Family & Friends list as a manged profile (just like you would do for your children). You would then manage her entire stay. This would include linking her room reservation to your MDE account (it should automatically select her as the occupant), linking park admission, make her FP+ selections, etc. as appropriate.

Thank you so much! Correct--Grandma has no desire for an MDE account. That is good to know that she doesn't need one and I can just manage her profile like I do for my kids.

I don't think you will have any problems. I have 10 people in my immediate family. Before we discovered renting DVC points, we had to book 2 rooms at a deluxe. Obviously we had to have an adult listed on each room, so I would put my name on one and my husband's name on the other. I then split the kids up in each room. We always requested connecting rooms, and that request was always granted. I think that may have been because we had eight children, and the adults were way outnumbered! We had no trouble with magic bands. They will only unlock the door to the room that the individual is assigned to, meaning your band will not unlock your mom's door. I always had both the rooms on my MDE account, so I was able to make fast pass reservations and ADRs for everyone at the same time. It was a breeze! Enjoy your stay at the Poly! It is one of our favorites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter