Any Marriott Owners

Dakota260

Earning My Ears
We currently own a Marriott timeshare and were thinking about joining the DVC. One of the things we do not like is that you do not own, you lease until 2042.
Can any Marriott owners that own at DVC give us some of your opinions comparing Marriott to the DVC, pro's and cons.

Thank you in advance,

Dakota260

Originally posted by Dakota260
We currently own a Marriott timeshare and were thinking about joining the DVC. One of the things we do not like is that you do not own, you lease until 2042.
Can any Marriott owners that own at DVC give us some of your opinions comparing Marriott to the DVC, pro's and cons.

Thank you in advance,

Dakota260
What do you percieve will be the condition of your Mariott resort in 38 years? Knowing that DVC will revert back to Disney and that Disney has a track recort of keeping up it's other properties I think will help maintain the value of the DVC option and the vacation experience.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
What do you percieve will be the condition of your Mariott resort in 38 years? Knowing that DVC will revert back to Disney and that Disney has a track recort of keeping up it's other properties I think will help maintain the value of the DVC option and the vacation experience.
Very good point, Captain. I never thought of it that way. :cool:

Other timeshares have lower maintenance costs. I think that means they have less money being reinvested in the resort to maintain it. I might be wrong.

"What do you percieve will be the condition of your Mariott resort in 38 years? Knowing that DVC will revert back to Disney and that Disney has a track recort of keeping up it's other properties I think will help maintain the value of the DVC option and the vacation experience."

Marriott along with Disney both have great track records of keeping their properties well maintained (Marriott has been around longer than Disney). The difference is after 38 years i will still own my Marriot property. Marriott resorts are five star.
As i said in my first message i am interested purchasing a DVC membership but i would like to know if there are any Marriott owners that also own a DVC membership and if they could rate the two of them, pros and cons.
Marriott works differently when you don't stay at your home resort, you receive points which enanble you to buy airline tickets,
go other Marriott resorts ect.

Dakota 260

We own both and use DVC for Disney vacations and Marriott for great trades at some of the nicest locations in the world at top notch 5 star properties. DVC points are more flexible to use vs. a week at a time at Marriott. Glad to have both and both have high standards of upkeep.

As i said in my first message i am interested purchasing a DVC membership but i would like to know if there are any Marriott owners that also own a DVC membership and if they could rate the two of them, pros and cons.

First, WELCOME to the Dis Boards! I cannot answer your question, but I DO know Marriott is a LOT more expensive than DVC. I just recieved a packet of Hilton Head marriott properties and the new property to be built at Myrtle Beach,S.C. The pre construction prices are 20000-30000!!! A far cry from DVC. Now I know there is always re sales available, but Marriotts during the time I wanted are few and far between. I wanted Plantium, summer HHI or maybe Myrtle Beach.
Marriott properties LOOK as nice as DVC's, and they have the BIG plus of never ending date as DVC. That I guess is what you are paying for. They are premo locations and great properties!
DVC is inital layout of:12600 dollars, or if Magical Beginnings: 11100 for 150 pts. A LOT cheaper than 20000!!!! Even at 200 pts with a mag. beginnings=14800, STILL cheaper than Marriott.
To me, Marriott is a little overpriced, could be wrong, but I don't see what you pay for?!

P.S Lots of Marriotts for resale in Dec and Jan, Feb, Why would anyone want to go to the beach at that time, esp. in S.Carolina?
They are a lot cheaper than above.
Sorry, can't answer, but it will be cheaper than Marriott, that is for sure.
PPSS: Even the main fee for Marriott is not much diff than DVC. I was quoted 600-700/yr for Marriott at Hilton Head Island.:)
deerh

I don't think it's fair to say DVC is cheaprer than Marriott. You'd have to compare to a 2 BR unit for a week to get a fair comparision on the up front costs. While you can buy 150 pts at DVC, that does not compare to a top notch Marriott option.

The dues are definitely more for DVC but to say that means better maintenance is not factual or accurate. Orlando is one of the higher fee areas due to taxes and the like. DVC is also very expensive to operate due to the hotel like reservation system and the personel that go with it.

Marriott and DVC are both quality options but they are different. Marriott is a full week and frequently a 2 Br though some are lockoff options. Both tend to be very expensive and in general I'd only buy either to stay at that resort or at least within their system. while Marriott tends to have small fees for additional items, the overall fees for DVC are much higher. With both you need to realize that many trades will be a down trade so using what you own is usually the best value. The two do complement each other nicely.

I don’t think the 2042 is an issue but it will be some day. In many ways I actually see advantages in having something you won’t have to keep paying forever.

What do you percieve will be the condition of your Mariott resort in 38 years?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at - that it will be run down and worth little in 38 years? Considering that he's paying annual dues at Marriott just like we do with DVC, I'd "perceive" that in 38 years, due to the ongoing maintenance and upkeep, his Marriott resort should be in just as good condition as it is today. Would you "perceive" that your DVC resorts be so much different in 38 years?

I think the ownership/lease issue is a valid one and definitely worh considering when comparing and making a decision. Maybe the higher buy-in cost is exactly taking that into account - that with Marriott, you do own it forever.

I've spoken with Marriott and Hilton perviously (after owning our DVC) and it wasn't for us. That's not to say that it might not be good for someone else and their situation.

Back to the ownership thing, this is the one issue that will make us sell once the DVC price/point tops out - because it will be all downhill from there and I'd rather take the money at that point and be able to own something that won't be worth $0 in some finite number of years. Maybe that's when I'll be checking back into the Marriott or Hilton timeshare resales.

Good luck - I think you can see that there are lots of people who are happy with their DVC ownership. You have to admit, that when DVC has the ability to continue raising the cost of ownership as they have, and have the ability to keep the resale prices up, they must be doing something right.

By Dean:Marriott and DVC are both quality options but they are different

I agree. The ONLY 2 timeshares I looked at in 1999 when I bought was DVC and Marriott. I looked 6 MONTHS before I bought, bought 2 books about timeshares, called Clark Howard on his radio show, got his views, spent hours on the net, and came to the conclusion these were the best of the best.
I bought at DVC, because we are Disney nuts, and we are closer to Fla.
I do not think Marriott nor Disney will let their properties decline, they have the same agenda-guests or customers/members.
JMHO or .02 cents worth......
deerh

We own at neither resort yet but we have looked into both. We are leaning toward buying at Disney because it is much more flexible in terms of when you can stay. With Disney you can stay at any of their resorts whenever you want (length of stay depending on season and number of owned points of course). With Marriott, they are somewhat flexible in when you stay but if I remember right you are restricted to the season within which you bought. We saw this as a problem because we have two young children not in school yet so to get the most out of our Marriott resort we would have to buy in a season that included school vacations. These are priced the highest of course.

The main reason we are leaning toward DVC is because when we go to Disney we want to stay at Disney. The Marriott sales rep that showed us around Grand Vista last fall (who oddly enough was an ex DVC sales rep) suggested that if we wanted to stay at DVC then we should buy at DVC because staying at a Marriott property close by doesn't come close to the expeieince of staying on Disney property. We also heard that trying to get a DVC through II can be tough to do (although not impossible as my neighbors parents who are Marriott owners just traded into DVC in May).

I think Marriott might be a good choice in the future when we can be more flexible in the season we would buy in.

I strongly feel that Disnye and Marriot are both class acts in the own rights. DW and I purchased DVC because we are disney nuts and we love going to WDW. We did not buy it for trading out. As far as 2042 goes, god willing I will be 78 and my DW will be 77, buy that time if we are still going to WDW and I am sure we will, then we will use coeds and or rack rates with AP's if they still have them and take it from there. I don't really think you can compare the two. But, we do love going when ever we want. If we see a cheap air fair we just call up MS and make a reservation.

I think most people would be happy with either or both.

Scott

Originally posted by adamandallie

The main reason we are leaning toward DVC is because when we go to Disney we want to stay at Disney. The Marriott sales rep that showed us around Grand Vista last fall (who oddly enough was an ex DVC sales rep) suggested that if we wanted to stay at DVC then we should buy at DVC because staying at a Marriott property close by doesn't come close to the expeieince of staying on Disney property. We also heard that trying to get a DVC through II can be tough to do (although not impossible as my neighbors parents who are Marriott owners just traded into DVC in May).
A timeshare salesperson that is giving you the honest, straight scoop....
How refreshing! :cool:

Dakota260,

I am at the opposite of you. I bought DVC last year and really liked it and now I am in the process of buying a Marriott resale for trading purposes.

DVC is the most flexible system (within DVC resorts) that I have ever seen. There are no fees here and there like Marriott's system. However, I will never trade my DVC points out of DVC resorts because I think it is hard to get comparable resorts and it costs too many points. That is why I am buying a Marriott so that we can use its internal trading priority to go to non-Disney places. It did not bother me that DVC only last until 2042, as long as its value holds and I get a great vacation out of it, that is all it matters. In addition, I believe it is faily difficult to get a DVC exchange when you use the Marriott vs. the other way around.

Having the 2 complements each other for different purposes!!!

We own at both Marriott (Manor Club in Williamsburg, VA) and DVD (OKW). We bought the Marriott first because we live within 3 hours of Williamsburg and it is a very nice resort. It is rated very highly on TUG. We then decided to buy OKW resale because we enjoy also vacationing at WDW and felt we wanted to stay on property when we go there from now on. We bought just enough point to allow us to have 2 or 3 bedroom units at OKW every two years. The alternate years we use the Marriott to vacation at our home resort or trade within the Marriott resort system (this year we traded out for the Marriott Barony Beach Club Resort on Hilton Head Island). The years we don't use the Marriott we trade in for Marriott Reward Points. It works for us (and I am not getting into a debate on the worth of the Marriott reward points).

We also own another timeshare on Aruba (Aruba Rennaissance Beach Resort now managed by Marriott) that we use as a trader within Interval International each year.

I am happy to own both DVC and Marriott.

Bart

Personally, I am not worried! Marriott deeds their property, yes, but by 2042, even when you have the deed, if the property requires huge upgrades to bring into the mid-21st century, the expense to keep it could be huge. Our kids will own the DVC's we have and part of the Marriotts their grandparents have, so they will have the best of both worlds. I say buy where you want to stay most of the time and you can't go wrong, whether DVC or Marriott.

Thank you everyone for your input.

We are going to buy into the DVC and have the best of both worlds. Use DVC every other year or two and use the Marriott on the off years, but have a couple of other questions, i started a new thread for these questions.

Again thank you for your responses and help,

Dakota260

We own at DVC & Marriot. Both are great resorts. As mentioned above there is not subsitute for staying at a quality resort on Disney property. We purchased Marriot for several reasons.

First, at Cypress Harbour they are two bedroom units. With my son going to dental school in Florida we are planning to use the unit during the holidays such as Thanksgiving or Xmas. This year the family is going to get together at Cypress Harbour at Thanksgiving. Second, we plan to use it to trade.

IN general, we do not plan to t rade our DVC. So far I have found DVC to be more flexible than Marriot. If you need to alter a reservation they charge an administrative fee of $ 29. DVC does not charge when you alter a reservation.

I have purchased both Marriot and one DVC contract via resale. You can save thousands. Also, a wesite site that has a wealth of information concerning timeshares is Tug. You can access them at WWW. tug2.net. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter