Any local DVC members?

mjosburn

Earning My Ears
We've just recently moved back to Florida & are less than 1 1/2 hours from Disney World. :lovestruc We have FL resident seasonal passes & went last week for a night. We stayed at All Star Movies because we got special FL resident rates. Anyway, we're considering buying a resale DVC but are trying to figure out if the cost is worth it. We will have occasional big trips planned there but most of our trips will just be one or two nights planned within a week or two. Are there any local DVC members that can comment? Thanks so much!

We've just recently moved back to Florida & are less than 1 1/2 hours from Disney World. :lovestruc We have FL resident seasonal passes & went last week for a night. We stayed at All Star Movies because we got special FL resident rates. Anyway, we're considering buying a resale DVC but are trying to figure out if the cost is worth it. We will have occasional big trips planned there but most of our trips will just be one or two nights planned within a week or two. Are there any local DVC members that can comment? Thanks so much!

I live is West Palm and we purchased 250 points last year and are under contract for an additional 190 points. We made about 10 quick one or two day trips to Disney in the past year and one week long trip to Aulani and absolutely love it. What it comes down to is yes I probaly would have just driven home all those days but its so much more relaxing staying overnight. We are also taking advantage of things we have never done before at Disney like running races, Food and Wine, New Years, golfing, Birthday Parties and behind the scenes tours we never even thought of before. I am very happy we spent the money.

We are Local DVCer's although not from Florida BUT in California! I think we feel the same way about being so close to the parks but you are luckier to live by the world!!
I love that I can live in my little DL bubble for short stays but not have to pay air fare for it!! You have more choices to stay & I only have 1 Villa and 3 hotels! OH LOVE BEING A LOCAL DVCer!!

I forgot to add - I LOVE being able to take as many breaks as possible when BOTH parks are SOOO crowded!! PLUS no long wait & tram ride to get out of parking structure!

Planning 1 or 2 weeks out puts major issues in play. You will have to take what's available, no guarantees and if you have to cancel, your points go into holding.

I guess it all depends on you and your expectations.

:earsboy: Bill

Interesting discussion. We are shortly going to be moving to FL and plan to buy a house within about 30 minutes of WDW. I'm thinking that we will still keep our DVC points though. We figure that when people come to visit us we can just let them stay in our house and we will stay at DVC. ;)

We will probably use the points for Food & Wine time even though we will be nearby. We like the ability to get back from the park without having to drive. We may also use the points on the west coast and in Hawaii, perhaps at Hilton Head too.

Don't see us trading for cruises/ABD though because the exchange rate isn't very good.

mjosburn said:

The question becomes whether or not your trip would be ruined if there was no availability. There are definitely times of the year where nothing is available at that short notice. But there are also stories of great luck with short term reservations. If you are able to go with the flow then you will derive a lot more enjoyment from your DVC membership. Good luck making your decision!

DVC member for 20 years, been a Fla resident for all my life, and this is how we have used or plan to use our points:
recently purchased a resale for additional stays. We want to go and stay once a month for 2 - 5 nights.
recently purchased seasonal passes and stayed at AKL, visited AK Park.
Sept family reunion at SSR with three room for multiple nights, we are blessed that are family lives near us so that we are able to do this.
back in July took 11 month old DGS to AKV, he loved the splash area.
going to BWV at end of Oct for EPCOT Food and Wine event, staying there, walking to EPCOT, taking a break, and returning in the evening is great
Dec staying for yearly DW birthday weekend getaway at AKL.
and
today booked AKL-CL for two nights in May.

We don't live in FL (used to, years ago, sigh), but in SC. We have been able to get last minute reservations at Hilton Head in off seasons, a favorite time to visit anyway. It's been a great way for us to use about-to-expire points, and we really love it there. And it's only a few hours from home. I would think you'd usually be able to find something on short notice, at non-peak times.

Thank you for the responses. We can definitely go with the flow at this point in our lives. We homeschool our kids, & my husband works from home. Anyway, you've all given me some things to think about. I appreciate it!

We also live about an hour+ away from WDW, and own a total of 300 points at 2 resorts. We definitley can make a quick trip, so long as its not in the middle of a busy season (ie food and wine fest, or during a marathon), but that being said, I love being able to go for those events and not having to pay the regular Disney prices for rooms then. Also, even if you think you may want to go during a specifically busy time (say Thanksgiving), then just book early. You can always cancel or change your reservation if you change your mind, but at least you will have the reservation if you want it.

Also, as to the mini-trips, my DH, DD and I really enjoy being able to get away for a couple days and it does feel like a vacation, and even better b/c we didn't have to get on a plane, or any of that hassle :thumbsup2

We also live about an hour and a half and love it. I am self employed and that works in even better. We just call when the mood hits and take whatever is there and which ever resort is open. Has been working for over 15 years now. We mix between resorts and FW as we also camp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter