Any little extras that people dont know about in general?

Eli's 1st trip

Mouseketeer
This will be son #1 second trip and son #2's 2st trip. That said we know what we want to do, we have a plan, etc. What I am wondering is if there are little known extras that we should do with the boys. I know I read somewhere that if the kids were scared of the fireworks you could watch them on the beach somewhere? True or False? Also give me some ideas of what you did to make it a little extra special. They can be free or have a price.

Thanks in advance...:)

This will be son #1 second trip and son #2's 2st trip. That said we know what we want to do, we have a plan, etc. What I am wondering is if there are little known extras that we should do with the boys. I know I read somewhere that if the kids were scared of the fireworks you could watch them on the beach somewhere? True or False? Also give me some ideas of what you did to make it a little extra special. They can be free or have a price.

Thanks in advance...:)

True. Poly Beach is open to all WDW guests and offers a great view of Wishes.

True. Poly Beach is open to all WDW guests and offers a great view of Wishes.

Yay! Thanks I will have to put that on the list of things to do...My oldest loves to watch the fireworks just dislikes the noise...he wears earplugs on NYE LOL

Thanks again :)

A great source for Disney newbies to find 'extras' to add to their Disney experience is the Unofficial Guide to WDW. (man, I should have stock in this outfit, I've recommended it so often). It's a hefty book, and I sure wouldn't want to carry it around in the parks, but it's invaluable to learn both the big, important stuff, and the little things too. Read it well before you go, to help your planning.

Yay! Thanks I will have to put that on the list of things to do...My oldest loves to watch the fireworks just dislikes the noise...he wears earplugs on NYE LOL

Grab a Dole Whip at Captain Cook's before you head out to the beach. That's the way to do it. ;) And you can see the Electrical Water Parade or whatever it's called there, too. :thumbsup2

We like to hit Boardwalk in the afternoon -- I wouldn't do it instead of the parks, but if you're someone who does "resort days" where you don't want to go-go-go, it's fun. There are performers most afternoons into the evening, you can rent bikes, etc. Get a snack at the bakery, people watch, shop a bit, watch a performer or two, that kind of stuff.

Or Downtown Disney, same story -- not worth giving up park time, but fun for a quiet day. The Lego store has a big play area my kids always spend some time in, and there are lego constructions there to see, you can make a dinosaur at the T-Rex shop, there's a little carousel, etc. There's dancing and stuff in the evening but we usually go in the afternoon to avoid the crowds so I dunno how well that works. Parking there is supposed to be a bear at night, too. We like to ride the boat from one end to the other -- the kids griped the first time about parking at one end when I wanted to visit the other, but now they think the boat ride is a necessity. ;)

You didn't say how old your kids were, but I just discovered this on our most recent trip (and I've been to WDW 9 or 10 times!) -- on Main Street, on the right side (as you walk up to the castle), in one of the shops there's a glassblower who demonstrates how he makes ornaments and other items! In the same shop, there's a man who makes the tiny little glass items, which are very interesting, but the glassblower at the back of the shop is fascinating. You can see the fire in the kiln, watch him blow the glass... You can even get custom-made items with the colors you choose!

A great source for Disney newbies to find 'extras' to add to their Disney experience is the Unofficial Guide to WDW. (man, I should have stock in this outfit, I've recommended it so often). It's a hefty book, and I sure wouldn't want to carry it around in the parks, but it's invaluable to learn both the big, important stuff, and the little things too. Read it well before you go, to help your planning.

Totally agree - been using this resource since the early 90's when it was only a quarter of the size it is now! IIRC, don't they have a pocket version?

Some of the things my boys have enjoyed:

Epcot: the jumping fountains by Imagination Pavillion, the train in Germany, at night you can see "fireworks" in the pavement by Innoventions (make sure you look down on your way out of the park at night).

MK: the shooting gallery in Frontierland, Tom Sawyer Island in general (a good place just to run around)

HS: pull the rope at the well near Indiana Jones

Your kids may be interested in the "passport" type program that is done in Epcot's World Showcase. I think they give the kids some sort of passport type booklet that they can collect "stamps" in as they go from one country to the next. When in each country, they get to make some sort of craft. I think, for example, when in Italy, the kids make masks. Be sure to watch for the singers, jugglers, bands, etc in each country while in Epcot.

WendyWuWu said:
Your kids may be interested in the "passport" type program that is done in Epcot's World Showcase. I think they give the kids some sort of passport type booklet that they can collect "stamps" in as they go from one country to the next. When in each country, they get to make some sort of craft. I think, for example, when in Italy, the kids make masks. Be sure to watch for the singers, jugglers, bands, etc in each country while in Epcot.

I believe the passports are available for purchase. However, the "Duffy on a Stick" is free (now Agent P I believe) and can be gotten at Kidcot stations in each of the 11 countries around World Showcase.

If you take your Duffy on a stick to each countries kidcot table they will write your child's name on back in that countries native language, plus stamp it.

Japan has tiny saki cups for purchase and you can have your name written on that in Japanese.

Either Japan or China has a woman who spins sugar into animals like dragons, etc. I have never seen, but heard it's cool.

All of the performers around Epcots World Showcase.

sharonabe said:
Some of the things my boys have enjoyed:

Epcot: the jumping fountains by Imagination Pavillion, the train in Germany, at night you can see "fireworks" in the pavement by Innoventions (make sure you look down on your way out of the park at night).

MK: the shooting gallery in Frontierland, Tom Sawyer Island in general (a good place just to run around)

HS: pull the rope at the well near Indiana Jones

Last year I had my son, age 18 and has Down Syndrome, and my BFF's son, typical, age 16. They both loved the jumping fountains. There were several little kids enjoying them to. They are fascinating to watch.

Something that costs some $ but have become treasured souvenirs are the caricature drawings you can get done at most resorts.

If they like to draw, the learn to draw a character thing in the Animation Studio at HS is fun (and free).

Does anyone know where the exact location is for those LED lights that are located in the ground? I remember hearing about those on a podcast once but can't seem to remember where.

Thanks!:)

KapBoy77 said:
Does anyone know where the exact location is for those LED lights that are located in the ground? I remember hearing about those on a podcast once but can't seem to remember where.

Thanks!:)

They are outside Innoventions West, on the Spaceship Earth side. If you imagine a direct line between the recently closed-for-refurb Epcot Character Spot and SSE, it'd take you real close.

They are fiber optic and not LED-based.

They are outside Innoventions West, on the Spaceship Earth side. If you imagine a direct line between the recently closed-for-refurb Epcot Character Spot and SSE, it'd take you real close.

They are fiber optic and not LED-based.

Yes you are absolutely correct about them being fiber optic! Thanks man! :)

I definitely want to check those out... and i'll even let the kids tag along with me! :santa:

KapBoy77 said:
Yes you are absolutely correct about them being fiber optic! Thanks man! :)

I definitely want to check those out... and i'll even let the kids tag along with me! :santa:

They are very cool, and I'm surprised so many people miss them. However, these particular ones are not in the main walkway and in a little side area outside IW. There are some simpler static white ones in the main walkway further up towards SSE, but these are loads better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter